Muppet Sing-Alongs thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't think there's been a thread for the Muppet Sing-Alongs video series, but I just recently saw the last of the ones I previously hadn't and thought I'd start a thread.

Here are my thoughts on the videos:

Billy Bunny's Animal Songs
It's a weird choice for the first Muppet sing-along video, as it's more like one of the Tales from Muppetland specials. But the plot is decent and the songs are fun.

It's Not Easy Being Green
The first of these that I've seen, and the best one of them. The one that's most like the Disney Sing-Along Series, and arguably what it should have been like. It is odd that the title references "Bein' Green", which is near the middle and isn't really more-or-less represented than any of the other songs.

Muppets on Wheels
I first watched this one a few days ago, making it the last one that I've seen. It is as juvenile/kiddie as I had expected, but all of the songs do sound great, I especially like the trucks song. It's great to see performances by Bill Barretta just before he was part of the core performers, I noticed the dog character he performed has the same voice he would use for Rowlf. I feel like the characters in the first song sound similar to characters performed by Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, and maybe Frank Oz. Lindy is a nice character, kinda reminds me of Walter, I like the running gag where he keeps calling Kermit "Mr. Frog" even after Kermit tells him to call him Kermit. I was surprised that the bicycle scene only has one full-bodied shot of Kermit, with the rest being close-ups (and it seems he's not really shown that often in the song).

Of course this one seems barely part of the Muppet Sing-Alongs series, as it doesn't have the usual "Muppet Sing-Alongs" theme or title card, and the video packaging doesn't have the logo (perhaps because it was part of the Jim Henson's Pre-School Collection), but the back covers for the next two list the other videos in the sing-along series and this one is listed.

Muppet Treasure Island
The only other one besides It's Not Being Green to be most like the Disney Sing-Along Songs, though not by much (it only has two clips from the movie, and no other Muppet productions). It is interesting they chose to focus on Kermit and the pirates, would have been nice if they'd included Gonzo, Rizzo, and maybe a few other established characters in linking footage. I especially like "I Know an Old Pirate", "I'm a Real Pirate", and "Let the Good Shine Out".

Things That Fly
I first watched this one a month ago. Much like Muppets on Wheels, it is as kiddie as I expected, while the songs do sound great. I keep feeling like Robin should have had Lindy's role, and that maybe a few other established Muppets should have been part of this (like Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, maybe Bunsen and Beaker, maybe Bean Bunny), though for the most part I feel like established characters whom audiences are familiar with wouldn't have worked that well for the most part. With some of the locations Kermit and Lindy visit, I feel it actually would have been odd to see some familiar characters just happening to hang out (well, maybe we could have seen Rowlf or The Newsman at the air port with no dialogue...).

This one kind of feels more like it could have been a Sesame Street video, Elmo or Telly could have been in Lindy's place, maybe Grover could have been among the main cast, though I kinda feel like if this was a Sesame release that a different character would have been the lead instead of Kermit.

I was surprised by how under-used the alien they meet is here. I probably should have known, as she's not featured on the video packaging. But they find this alien who needs to find a way home, they visit several locations and learn about flying transportation, but it's more Kermit and Lindy learning, with the alien just popping up from time to time during many of the songs (hmm, with this in mind, maybe more familiar characters could have just randomly popped up during the songs as well).

It's also interesting that this one and Muppets on Wheels both use a different theme song, "Things That Go" (though the title fits), and this one actually doesn't have the Muppet Sing-Alongs title logo in the opening (but it does on the video cover), with both having "Sing-Along" written underneath the title. Makes me wonder if this was supposed to be part of the Pre-School Collection but ended up being part of the Muppet Sing-Alongs collection (seems the Pre-School Collection banner ended shortly after it began, I think all those releases came out in 1995). I also wonder if there were plans for more Muppet sing-along videos with a "things that go" theme.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I have almost all the muppet sing alongs videos except for Things That Fly, I have had It's Not Easy Being Green since I was a kid, I purchased Billy Bunny's Animal Songs and Muppet Treasure Island at a flea market a few years ago and was very happy to find Muppets on Wheels at my local thrift store for only $1.50, hopefully I can find Things that Fly soon

Muzzarino

Reaction score
The fonts they used for Let the Good Shine Out were Neuland and some Dom Casual font, but don't know the other two.