Muppet Show Season 4 coming in 2013

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It has been my understanding that broadcast standards pertaining to likeness and music are much more open than the home video market. Hence many of the problems Disney has had with releasing the Muppet Show DVDs intact while the Disney Channel could broadcast the programs in full if they wanted.

The Henson Hour was always difficult to air due to the length. This makes me believe this Canadian edit just wanted a leaner Muppet Show type program instead of it being merely a rights issue. I could be completely wrong about that.
But wouldn't likeness renegotiations have had to have been made for broadcasts once Disney bought the Muppets and the first half hours?

Sometimes I wonder if Jim Henson ever intended for The Jim Henson Hour to be rerun in syndication once enough episodes were made, or if he ahd any kind of syndication plans in mind for the MuppeTelevision segments to be broadcast on their own (the second half hours are easier to show on their own).

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Well since The Muppets won the Webby Awards for Bohemian Rhapsody, Maybe Disney will hopefully release season 4 of TMS soon. :wink:
Hello? You know that they've been planning to release it all along, so please be patient and don't be such a Boober.

We just need to get an exact release date, that's all.

I wonder if Gelfling Waldo at The Muppet Newsflash has anything to share with us, though...

ploobis

Reaction score
I just thought of what they could add as a Bonus Feature!

Since they added the Purina Dog Chow commercials with Rowlf & Baskervillie, For season 4 they should add the Claussen's Bread or McGarry's Sausage commercials with Kermit & Mack.

Just a thought. :smile:

ploobis

Reaction score

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, some fans seem to be worried that Disney might want to hold off until the release of the new movie to release season four (and unless the movie comes out sooner than Christmas 2011 I hope Disney doesn't delay the season four release), but given the planned release date for the movie I think it would be wiser for Disney to promote the film with a new DVD release of A Muppet Family Christmas. Disney didn't seem to care to get music clearances on the older release, but maybe Disney would care now, after getting all music rights cleared for the last two sets. And I don't think we have to worry now about the non-Muppets Studio characters.

I don't care what existing productiosn Disney releases on DVD in WInter 2011 to coincide with the new movie's release, as long as The Muppet Show: Season Four doesn't get a delayed release because of it. Disney can release new editions of the Muppet movies, or release some specials, or season five, whatever. But season four better come sooner.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The little bits I've heard (that could be wrong) indicate that Disney is leaking trickles of Muppet items here and there leading up to a heavier push around promotion of the new Muppet film. I'm thinking we might still get season 4 later this year. DVD sales are really terrible right now. It's all about the Blu-ray and downloads.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, some fans seem to be worried that Disney might want to hold off until the release of the new movie to release season four (and unless the movie comes out sooner than Christmas 2011 I hope Disney doesn't delay the season four release), but given the planned release date for the movie I think it would be wiser for Disney to promote the film with a new DVD release of A Muppet Family Christmas. Disney didn't seem to care to get music clearances on the older release, but maybe Disney would care now, after getting all music rights cleared for the last two sets. And I don't think we have to worry now about the non-Muppets Studio characters.

I don't care what existing productiosn Disney releases on DVD in WInter 2011 to coincide with the new movie's release, as long as The Muppet Show: Season Four doesn't get a delayed release because of it. Disney can release new editions of the Muppet movies, or release some specials, or season five, whatever. But season four better come sooner.
SEASON 5! Season 5 season 5 season 5 season 5 season 5! There's NO CALL to hold season 4 3 years after the third volume, no matter what. If we don't hear anything in August, I'm gonna just say forgetabout it. Really. Disney HAS been behaving good lately and to do this is inexcusable. I don't even want a date... I want an explanation. Is it music rights? Is there some problem with the John Denver episode (my hypothesis)? Why is it taking so long? This is a longer wait than between season 1 and season 2, and we at least GOT a good explanation that time.

I'm thinking we might still get season 4 later this year. DVD sales are really terrible right now. It's all about the Blu-ray and downloads.
I hate Blu-ray for that reason and that reason alone. I don't care how sparkly and shiny and wonderful it is, there's no call to hold back production of rarer, older, fan driven shows because people think they want to see Norbit in high def. Sure, it's a great way to watch current TV shows and current movies... but I don't want current! I want the alternative to current!

let's not forget the over-saturization of the market hurting DVD's as well. Who the heck wants half the stuff they DO release? I haven't seen a cartoon pop up on TvshowsonDVD in months. All cable reality shows and British shows that lasted 2 episodes, and the occasional show from the 60's or 70's no one has ever heard of, even if you were alive then. And scores and scores of shows that aren't even finished with their seasons yet. Disney has had tremendous success with the Muppet Show DVD's, even the edited to heck and back first volume. I can't see why "The Best of Food Network presents generic show where celeb chef eats at restaurants and doesn't actually cook or give out recipes" that sits on the shelves gets rushed into production every week has more of a right to be produced than Muppet Show season 4.

Freaking format's gonna be obsolete by the time we get season 5, let alone Muppets Tonight. We're dangerously close to resort to tape trading again.