Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Carman J said:
Seriously, Jim Henson & Frank Oz's work needs to be seen as important as Abbott & Costello. The majority of my comic timing comes from Henson & Oz. That goes for Ernie & Bert, Kermit & Fozzie, and numerous other combinations. There are several beautiful comic moments from "The Muppet Show" that I can't wait to have in a pristine DVD season set. Rowlf and Sam the Eagle singing "*** Willow"; Rowlf and Fozzie playing "English Country Garden" together on the piano complete with modulation!; "Pigs In Space" sketches with Link and Piggy. The list is endless of brilliant comic gold from Henson & Oz.
I agree, Jim and Frank were a great comic team. I think the work the two of them could do together was amazing. I mean come one, just look at the Swedish Chef; one character, two performers working in perfect comedic step. I think Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire are the "new" comic team of the muppets (Gonzo/Rizzo, Bunson/Beaker, Statler/Waldorf, Kermit/Gonzo). I think when you work togeather for a long time with such great creative and wacky characters you really get good with each other. Plus the Muppeteers just love to play. Also, Bill Baretta and Brian Henson are another rising "team" to keep your eye on (Pepe/Seymor, Johnny/Sal). I'm not familar enough with Eric Jacobson to know how playful and comfortable he is with his characters yet, but I think he'll be just as great as the others are someday, I'd give him a little more time to mature as being a core muppeteer now but the Fozzie/Kermit, Piggy/Kermit. ect. great comedic relationships could be returning strong again.

Anyway, to get back on topic here, I can't wait for these DVDs to relive the work of the great muppet comedy teams from The Muppet Show again on glorious DVD.

reevefan

Reaction score
Let's hope that they arn't edited like Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas....

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
i think they will be unedited
By unedited we hope for the compleate episodes as seen on TV, plus the "UK skits" included and the original opening for the episodes (the old season 1 style opening for season 1 episodes). This is totally possible for them to do. And I hope they do it.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
So do I. The news of Muppet Show box-sets by season is one of the best pieces of news I have heard for some time.
Hopefully there will be a region 4 edition.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
MJTaylor said:
So do I. The news of Muppet Show box-sets by season is one of the best pieces of news I have heard for some time.
Hopefully there will be a region 4 edition.
I agree! We need as much muppet merchandise as possible here in Australia, I think if the TMS set was released at a reasonable price or even available individually it would attract many non muppet fans who used to watch the show and create an even bigger fan base in Australia, at the moment its pretty small but its getting bigger.

We need it here in Australia.

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Obviously I'm as excited about this as any Muppet fan, but I can't help being a little bit frustrated at yet another attempt to release the Muppet Show on DVD, since each attempt has gone a little haywire. TimeLife released their set a few years ago, and I don't know if they just weren't selling or what the deal was, but that dried up. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I apologize if I am), but I'm not certain they ever finished releasing the full set of seasons, assuming they weren't just doing a "best of" collection. Then the Henson family released their own Muppet Show DVDs which had nothing but potential. Now, with the Muppet acquisition by Disney, that series was brought to a hault. So now Disney itself is releasing the supposedly full season to season collection. That's great news, assuming they stick to their guns, plow through and actually deliver the full goods. As for now, so many of us out there have been trying to piece together a full collection from the TimeLife and Henson releases to little or no avail. When Disney releases their collection, we'll be left with the realization that we wasted so much money on those other DVDs and will be getting a lot of the same material we already own on the new DVDs. Maybe for the more financially stable Muppet fan this isn't a problem. But some of us could barely eek out the cash for the past series'. All I'm saying is, I'm excited about these new DVDs, but this had better be the all encompassing, seeing-it-to-the-end collection that we've been promised for years, because I cannot afford another discontinued DVD collection, and am not interested in unnecessarily owning multiple copies of episodes whose only difference is having different distributors.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
I agree, I hope all 5 season sets are released, and as long as they sell well I think they will. If having duplicate episodes and needing money is a problem, you can always sell your old DVDs.