Muppet Show DVD´s update!!!

Animal

Reaction score
Hey!

Just got this info from DVDAngle.com:

Muppet Update: A few weeks back I stated that Columbia/Tristar's release of the Best of the Muppet Show would be the same as those released from Time-Life. It appears I was incorrect. The press release is still about a week away, but I have had a chance to look at the rear cover art and there are some noticeable differences. The running time is shorter and there is no mention of "scenes never before released in North America." There is no official answer yet. Speculating (and this is merely an educated guess), the episodes are most likely the US versions without the extra footage. I'll have a more definitive answer for you soon.

I really hope this is not true! I´ve also seen those covers, and the running time is still 80 minutes, like on Time-Life!

Just thought I would share this with anyone...

*Hans*

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It may likely be the case that these discs don't include the UK skits.

Another possibly (even though a slim one) is that the DVD's don't include the extra Muppetisms. Uncut episodes with Brian Henson intros are about 25-26 minutes, so that could account for the time difference.

Luke

Reaction score
<<"scenes never before released in North America." >>

I don't know what they are keeping in/out but even if they kept the extras in, this statement would not appear as obviously they have been released before by Time Life.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Will these be released to video? I don't own a DVD as of yet. I'm asking becasue I don't trust "Video Clubs" like Time Life. I was in a book club, and they kept sending me stuff and expecting me to pay. I hate that!!!!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

I thought the same thing too.

They HAVE been released before, So now it would be false and illegal to say different.

Maybe the Brits read between the lines ?

LOL!

See ya

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Luke,

Originally posted by *Warrick*

Maybe the Brits read between the lines ?
Nah - we are just far more intelligent than Americans. They spend all their time on the internet, drinking soda and watching the Simpsons ............. oh wait - thats what I do !!! ;-)

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Re: Re: Luke,

Originally posted by Luke
Nah - we are just far more intelligent than Americans.
Hey! I represent that remark. No, wait, I resist that remark. No, that's not right either. I recast that, no. I refuse that, no. I remark that remar... oh forget it. I'm going to go eat some pudding.

uncleduke

Reaction score
>>>>I have had a chance to look at the rear cover art and there are some noticeable differences. The running time is shorter and there is no mention of "scenes never before released in North America." <<<<<

Were the ones you saw the European or North American releases? The reason I ask: If they were the European discs, they probably do not care if the scenes were not released in the US. Also some studios do not include extras or even closing credits in the running time.

>>>>>They HAVE been released before, So now it would be false and illegal to say different.<<<<<<

To paraphrase Mel Gibson on The Simpsons..."Honesty is the cornerstone of the Entertainment industry" In 1998 MGM announced the FINAL RELEASE of Wizard of Oz for the Millenium, only to release it again, loaded with extras less than 8 months later in 1999. Also Lucas announced none of the Star Wars movies would come out on DVD until the video release of Episode 3. Episode one came out within the year!

>>>>It may likely be the case that these discs don't include the UK skits.<<<<<

I really doubt they would go to the trouble / expense of remastering them.

>>>>>>Will these be released to video? I don't own a DVD as of yet. I'm asking becasue I don't trust "Video Clubs" like Time Life<<<<

If you go to www.timelife.com you do not need to join a club, you can just order the ones you want. On the "cart" page, enter this Code: 3204WEB it will give you 25% off any purchase! Also if you order $100 or more, you can defer your payments into 4 monthly installments!

You can get 5 VHS -Your Choice For $79.96 (before the coupon)
You can get 6 VHS - Your Choice for $95 (before the coupon)
or you can get 10 VHS for $139.96 (before the coupon)

I have ordered the Set on DVD and gone back to order individuals for gifts. I had no problems.

I do not know if they are coming to video, but the website is selling the DVDs for much less than of the SRP! With the coupon, the Ten DVD set is only $131.25 (as opposed to $24.95 or 10/$249.95 in the stores!)

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Originally posted by uncleduke
In 1998 MGM announced the FINAL RELEASE of Wizard of Oz for the Millenium, only to release it again, loaded with extras less than 8 months later in 1999.
Well, in all fairness to MGM, Warner Bros. released the 1999 version.