Muppet Replicas

pepestarr

Reaction score
I want to have ago at making some Muppet Replicas but I don't know which one would be the easiest to build first. Any suggestions for what characters? Many Thanks in advance

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Try making a Kermit, that will teach you a lot about puppet construction and he's one of the easier puppets to do. If you search the forum you'll find links to Kermit and Scooter head patterns (they were copied from plush toys) that work well.

Or maybe somebody has a direct link to them handy?

pepestarr

Reaction score
Thanks Andrew. I've got those patterns on my favorites and will take them into consideration. Wouldn't Robin be easier than Kermit? Also I was thinking whether I could get a Project Puppet kit and make one of them into a Muppet Replica or my own personal use like someone did to make Darth Maul.

Which kit would be good with each Muppet?

Blink

Reaction score
pepestarr said:
Thanks Andrew. I've got those patterns on my favorites and will take them into consideration. Wouldn't Robin be easier than Kermit? Also I was thinking whether I could get a Project Puppet kit and make one of them into a Muppet Replica or my own personal use like someone did to make Darth Maul.

Which kit would be good with each Muppet?
Hey pepestarr,

That is a great idea! I would love to see a muppet replica from a project puppet pattern. What character would you build?

Perhaps the Ovale pattern for Janice? Or Punto for Bert and Ovale for Ernie? The Rotondo for Bunson Honeydew?

From someone who has used projectpuppet.com in the past, I have only have good things to say about the patterns.

pepestarr

Reaction score
Blink said:
Perhaps the Ovale pattern for Janice? Or Punto for Bert and Ovale for Ernie? The Rotondo for Bunson Honeydew?

From someone who has used projectpuppet.com in the past, I have only have good things to say about the patterns.
Thanks Blink. These are the sort of suggestions I'm looking for. Keep them cmoing and I will think them over and then decide which one to do!:smile:

pepestarr

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any Muppet patterns apart from the Scooter and Kermit ones? :smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
If you watch ebay they sometimes have the 1970s Sesame Street puppet patterns. They're not an exact match for the real characters, but they'll give you somewhere to start from.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Hey pepestarr -

If you are not looking for an exact likeness and would be pleased with a finished puppet that would be recognizable as a Muppet character, then you may have some options with Project Puppet patterns. The Rotondo Pattern could be used for Elmo, The Count, Mumford, Forgetful Jones, Muppaphones, and with some revisions Waldorf. The Punto Pattern could be used for a likeness of Bert. The Punto Pattern -with some revision - could also turn into Dr. Teeth. The Ovale Pattern would make a good Janice - I never thought about that one Blink. I always wanted to make an Audry II out of the Ovale Pattern.

At any rate, you won't get exact Muppet replicas by following the patterns as is, but I think you could get a good likeness.

Blink

Reaction score
bezalel said:
Hey pepestarr -

If you are not looking for an exact likeness and would be pleased with a finished puppet that would be recognizable as a Muppet character, then you may have some options with Project Puppet patterns. The Rotondo Pattern could be used for Elmo, The Count, Mumford, Forgetful Jones, Muppaphones, and with some revisions Waldorf. The Punto Pattern could be used for a likeness of Bert. The Punto Pattern -with some revision - could also turn into Dr. Teeth. The Ovale Pattern would make a good Janice - I never thought about that one Blink. I always wanted to make an Audry II out of the Ovale Pattern.

At any rate, you won't get exact Muppet replicas by following the patterns as is, but I think you could get a good likeness.
Hey pepestarr, hey bezalel,

Last night I was doing some web surfing looking at what could be done with projectpuppet.com patterns to make what kind of Muppet. Here is what I came up with:

Muppet Character (Projectpuppet.com Pattern)

The Count (Rotondo Pattern)
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (Rotondo Pattern)
Dr. Teeth (Rotondo Pattern)
Grover (Rotondo Pattern)
Pops the Dorrman (Rotondo Pattern)
The Swedish Chef (Rotondo Pattern)

Floyd Pepper (Punto Pattern)
Fozzie Bear (Punto Pattern: some mod to
the pattern may be needed)
Bert (Punto Pattern)

Janice (Ovale Pattern: a diamond shaped
mouthplate would be needed instead
of the oval shaped one, and some
mod)

mod = modification

If you are willing to do some experiments I am sure you can get some pretty cool results. Personally I would love to try these, but I just have so many things going on that time for personal fun building seems far off.

Perhaps one day I will get a chance to do a fan Muppet with the patterns. I still have poor Chewie sitting in my workshop with just a head and no fabric covering.

P.S. You are totally right bezalel, the ovale would be great for the Audry II puppets. Oh, and I like your blog by the way.