Muppet Replicas on Ebay

spcglider

Reaction score
Okay, now it's just getting downright silly. This joker has had his auctions pulled twice in as many weeks and he's got them listed AGAIN under yet another name! Now he's "theaterofpuppets". So, he's gotta make a NEW seller name every time he gets yanked.

That's some nerve.

Heck, now this is just another part of my day to follow along and watch what this guy will do next. Its like entertainment... only dumber.

-Gordon

dpurves

Reaction score
I like the way he/she very carefully avoids the use of the word Muppet, or any of the character names, even though virtually anyone could easily identify them as such.

spcglider

Reaction score
That's one of the great popular misconceptions about intellectual property rights. It doesn't matter what this person calls the puppets... they are unlicensed replicas of property owned by MHC and Disney. If this person started producing animated shorts starring "little rodent with red-shorts" and the character looked, to any ignorant observer, to be Mickey Mouse they'd be in violation of intellectual property laws.

I think it hilarious that people delude themselves into thinking they can find some obvious flaw in existing law and get away with doing an "end around". Its just not that easy. And if they DO get away with it, its not because there's a problem with the law. Its because there's a problem with enforcement. And a lot of the time that's what these people count on... just not getting caught.

-G

dpurves

Reaction score
That's one of the great popular misconceptions about intellectual property rights. It doesn't matter what this person calls the puppets... they are unlicensed replicas of property owned by MHC and Disney. If this person started producing animated shorts starring "little rodent with red-shorts" and the character looked, to any ignorant observer, to be Mickey Mouse they'd be in violation of intellectual property laws.

I think it hilarious that people delude themselves into thinking they can find some obvious flaw in existing law and get away with doing an "end around". Its just not that easy. And if they DO get away with it, its not because there's a problem with the law. Its because there's a problem with enforcement. And a lot of the time that's what these people count on... just not getting caught.

-G
Well, I think it's also to make it more difficult to track this person down. My first inclination was to search for "Muppets" on eBay, and obviously that wouldn't have worked, so this person probably wanted to make himself as inconspicuous as possible. I wonder if he used the word "Muppets" in any of his prior auctions, and thinks he got nailed for it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Image and likness! Nut the thing is is he has not sold ny of these yet. It they were actually sold then that would be an even bigger problem. I believe e is just doing this now to get to people like us. We shouldn't waist out tims worrying about this guy because he when he he gets busted, he gets busted. The people at disney are certainly not stupid. After all, they tried to shut down a pre school because their mouse was painted on the wall of it.

spcglider

Reaction score
Well, I think it's also to make it more difficult to track this person down. My first inclination was to search for "Muppets" on eBay, and obviously that wouldn't have worked, so this person probably wanted to make himself as inconspicuous as possible. I wonder if he used the word "Muppets" in any of his prior auctions, and thinks he got nailed for it.
I look for search parameters that are not going to produce a billion results. MUPPET or MUPPETS is like that.

But this guy uses the same descriptors every time, so he's pretty easy to track down. He has a limited number of words he can use to describe the things because there are certain words that everybody uses to search for stuff like this.

I have no doubt that he's gonna eventually get busted and served with a C&D from Disney.

But for the time being, I'm starting to be entertained by the cheek of this guy. Unless the mods here implicitly command me to end the discussion, I think he serves as a perfect object lesson and example of what it means to stomp on someone else's intellectual property rights.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
Image and likness! Nut the thing is is he has not sold ny of these yet. It they were actually sold then that would be an even bigger problem.
Actually, it isn't any bigger a problem. It doesn't really matter if he sells at all... he's infringing on IP rights just by making them available. His profits from the activity only modify how much he surrenders to the actual IP owner in resitution.

Though I think you may be right about this person just doing it to blow a raspberry at us for mentioning it and making a big deal. Doesn't matter.

I think it's funny that he's paying so much money to eBay for listing fees and not making anything back out of it.

-Gordon

muppetperson

Reaction score
Outside of ebay deals

Image and likness! Nut the thing is is he has not sold ny of these yet. It they were actually sold then that would be an even bigger problem. I believe e is just doing this now to get to people like us. We shouldn't waist out tims worrying about this guy because he when he he gets busted, he gets busted. The people at disney are certainly not stupid. After all, they tried to shut down a pre school because their mouse was painted on the wall of it.
He has sold some, through enquiries outside of ebay.I had enquired and he said there is a waiting list.Also, if he wasnt selling any, he wouldnt be keen to keep going.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Muppet Puppets on Ebay

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, if you have sorry, but I've seen several muppet replicas on Ebay from theatreofpuppets. They have been around for some time but I am curious as to if anyone has actually purchased one.

Can they be trusted, there doesn't seem to be any feedback.

Thanks

Leanne

:flirt: