Muppet Ornaments

GWGumby

Reaction score
Ok, I know it's *way* early to be looking at ornaments, but they're starting to show up at Hallmark and American Greetings stores at the mall. Here and at Tough Pigs we've seen previewed an Elmo and Cookie Monster already. Anyway, my wife, always one to jump on the Christmas Spirit early on, likes to buy each member of the family a new special ornament each year. Hopefully one that will compliment each family member's current personal obsession. She will be looking for Care Bears for her, Thomas the Tank Engine for my son, and Muppets for me. Does anyone have any insight on existing or upcoming ornaments?

I saw there was a section devoted to them in "Collect" but it looks like nothing has been added or made since 1999.

radionate

Reaction score
As the resident Christmas Ornament collector junkie (my family and myself have been collecting since I was a tot. A normal Christmas season for us involves around a dozen different trees in every room of the house), I'll answer your questions.

Hallmark has its ornament premiere every year in July. Most of their ornaments come out at this time, but there are additions that come out various times up until Thanksgiving. Hallmark has not had a Muppet Christmas ornament for ages. It wouldn't surprise me though to see one pop up in next year's line of ornaments if the new show makes it to television next year. I was also surprised that they did not have a 25th anniversary ornament this year, as Henson and Hallmark have had a long relationship. I have also longed for a Muppets series, much like their Dr. Suess and multiple Peanuts lines over the years.

To check out this years line of ornaments use this link:
Hallmark 2002 Online Dream Book

Now, Carlton Cards also has their line of ornaments out for 2002. They haven't had many Muppet ornaments over the years, but recently they have had at least two Sesame Street ornaments per year. This year they have Cookie Monster and Elmo. Carlton ornaments aren't that popular with a lot of collectors, and oftentimes you can find previous years ornaments on sale alongside the current years line.

Here's the link to this years line up:
Carlton 2002 Ornament Line

There have been other Christmas Ornament companies to feature the Muppets as well. Midwest of Cannon Falls made some great resin ornaments, and Christopher Radko had some interesting blown glass ornaments as well.

There have also been reports that the Bradford Exchange (or Franklin Mint, I can't remember which) was going to release a series of Muppet ornaments, but it looks like that fell by the wayside.

Grolier also released some wonderful Sesame Street Ornaments in the 90's.

Phil has most of the Muppet Christmas Ornaments in his collectibles section. Once Halloween is over I will dig out some of the ornaments my folks brought me on my last trip to see if I have anything that is not included in the listing.

Hope this was of some help!:big_grin:

GWGumby

Reaction score
Thanks for the cool info. It didn't get me a Muppet Ornament--yet, but it was still great information, and I am currently perusing the links you sent.

If I can't find anything really interesting, maybe I'll just convert one of my figures -- or leave them in the packaging and hang them through the hook hole.

radionate

Reaction score
Actually, the only Muppet ornaments out this year are Sesame Street. Carlton has Elmo and Cookie Monster, and applause has some miniature plush Cookie Monster, Elmo, and Big Bird ornaments. They are very cute.

The Radko and Midwest ornaments have been retired, and of course Hallmark and Carlton retire their ornaments after the season is over. (For those of you who don't know, retire means that molds are destroyed and the item is never to be manufactored again.)

Of course, Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, and K-Mart usually have some generic sesame street ornaments as well, but as far as I know there are no regular Muppet ornaments out this year.

You best bet would be to watch ebay for older Muppet ornaments! Good Luck in your hunt!