Muppet fic: Once in a Lifetime

WebMistressGina

Reaction score
I have FINALLY caught up! Discovered this while on my phone a bit ago and never got a chance to say anything (my phone is being especially troublesome lately. May have to replace him), but so far, so good Slackers!

Stuff I like - I like the series completely and even though it's a Gonzo feature, I enjoy how you're throwing in a little K/P and S/J into the mix.

I like Piggy's backstory in this; the fact that the beauty paegent thing wasn't something she wanted, but something she's incredible skilled at is certainly at the heart of every kid who gets stuck with a stage parent. Vulnerable Piggy is a favorite, as TV Tropes states her as the 'jerk with a heart of gold', which she was (before some of hte TV movies and is again, I think); I like how you're showing there's a reason for the jerkiness/armor.

What I don't like - Fleet. He's up to something. I don't know what, but he's up to something. Can feel it.

Slackbot

Reaction score
As far as Gonzo goes...a certain song from Fiddler on the Roof comes to mind. If you know the songs, the one I'm thinking of ought to be obvious. :wink:
It's even more obvious if I name the right show. I meant Cabaret. Why would I say Fiddler on the Roof when I mean Cabaret? The stage show, not the movie, as the songs are different.

WebMistressGina: Glad you like the fic so far! Actually, this isn't a Gonzo feature. It's mostly Piggy and S/J and the scramble to put on a show. I wanted to have a plotline featuring Gonzo, but, well, he didn't get one. He's just livin' life to its fullest Gonzo-style.

Yeah, Piggy has to have a backstory, or at least some reason for being the way she is, otherwise she's just a violent b... uh, jerk. That's not her, and it annoys me when she's written that way. Unfortunately, that's how she's Flanderized sometimes.

You know how you can tell when Fleet's up to something? He's breathing. He might find Janken more of a challenge than he expected, though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course Fleet's up to something, it's Fleet, his name pretty much implies that he's already working on his next story. Whether it's one we'd care to read or not that remains to be seen, er, or skimmed through as the case may be.

I'm thinking Kermit's imposed a strict ban on Chef being tapped by the reporter as he's one of the very few Muppets who can speak fluent mock-Swedish. His mock-Japanese however, that's another jar of pickled herring.
:fishy: Aaah, I throw the red herring awaaaay... And it comes right back to me!

Hope more story gets posted soon. :smile:

Slackbot

Reaction score
The question is, what did Fleet get out of Janken? Jan's not into gossip. It's not likely that Fleet could get any dirt from him. On the other hand, he doesn't understand Fleet, so he wasn't on his guard. Fleet might find something useful in what Jan didn't say.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing with those hack writers is they'll twist what you say and even what you don't say into whatever they need to do like Jason Alexander once said, "make something out of nothing."

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yep. We've seen how Fleet has treated Gonzo and Piggyin past stories. He'll write whatever will pull in the supermarket checkout readers. And he figured out pretty quickly that Janken's gay. That by itself is a big who-cares; Jan's a nebbishy background character. But he might lead to better prey subjects of journalistic research.

Ya gotta wonder what opinions Fleet holds. It's not likely they are reflected in his articles; all you can tell from them is that he likes a steady paycheck.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
He may like a steady paycheck... But that doesn't mean he likes his Big Bad uberboss back at the home offices. That photograb of Kermit and whichever Kardashian it was at the Oscars, that had us all in an uproar. And yet, he knows he hurt Piggy and he's trying to mend some fences.

:insatiable: Me bring some candy canes to share... Me ate the strings of popcorn last night though.
:stick_out_tongue: Cookie...
:insatiable: Me sorry, me was hungry.

Slackbot

Reaction score
Er...that's in someone else's stories, not in mine. Mine's the one in which Gonzo and Camilla are happily married and raising a chick, remember?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah yeah, Sam had to play interpreter at the court date for Camilla. Just saying, Fleet's actions have been shady almost every time he pops up.

How is Billie by the way?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Too true, too true. Wouldn't it be a shocker if Fleet penned a fair, accurate article about them for once?

Billie is fine. She's about three years old now, and getting into everything she can, including a number in the upcoming show. She's also bilingual. If they do a coproduction of Sesame Street for chickens she'll be first in line for auditions.