Muppet FanFic: The Offer

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh, I'm enjoying this very much! I have to admit I still haven't seen any JHH episodes :cry: but I love the Electric Mayhem! I've also always loved to see all the characters interacting with each other in the boarding house! Fozzie in the prologue is just how I always think of him, concerned for Kermit, with just a touch of childlike innocence.
:O

Ozymandias

Reaction score
Seconding everyone here, I really like this and where this is going. The nods to Richard and Jim were my favorite part, and I love how much you manage to keep everyone in character. I'm not really familiar with the Jim Henson Hour, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so I might check it out in the future.

Keep up the good work!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Wow truly deep and heart breaking considering the subject matter of this tale. Keep up the good work upon such an emotional storyline like this one.

Kristine73

Reaction score
I AM SO SO SORRY!!!!!

I had absolutely no intention of leaving this story for as long as I did. Unfortunately my personal life got in the way and suffice to say that writing was not on my list of priorities. However I am back with an update now and I will certainly be trying to make them more regularly! I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has liked my story so far, it certainly made the decision to continue a lot easier. So here we go - chapter 2!

Kristine73

Reaction score
Whoops! Let's try that again....

Chapter 2

Christmas had come once again. After much cajoling from Fozzie, Kermit had acquiesced and agreed to take up Fozzie’s mother’s invitation for everyone to celebrate the holidays at Grizzly Farm. “It’s been 5 years since our last visit!” Fozzie had argued. “And Ma wants us to come! We’ll have such a great time! ”

Kermit stood at the farmhouse window and pulled back the curtain to study the landscape. Snow had fallen over the last few days which had made everything a beautiful sparkling wintery-white but so far today they had not had a single flake. ‘Very different to the blizzard we had on our first visit!' Kermit thought ‘I do hope it snows today. It always makes Christmas just that little bit more special.’ His musings were interrupted however as the sounds of a fight coming from the basement reached his ears.

“You said that was a Fraggle hole!” whined Bean Bunny. “You promised me I’d meet some Fraggles!”

“It is a Fraggle hole!” snapped Robin. “You must’ve scared them off with all your yelling!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“DID NOT!!”

“DID TOO!!!”

“Robin! Bean! Stop it this minute!” shouted Kermit. “Now come up here!”

“Sure Uncle Kermit.” sighed Robin, dragging his flippers as he went into the living room. Bean trailed behind him, sulking as a frowning Kermit indicated for the pair to come stand in front of him.

“Didn’t I tell you boys to be on your best behavior while we were here?” asked Kermit sternly.

“Yes Uncle Kermit.” said Robin.

“Yes Mr Kermit.” echoed Bean.

“Then no more fighting! We’re here to enjoy ourselves! Alright?” asked Kermit, receiving two nods of agreement. “Alright.” Robin and Bean glared at each other for a moment before Bean scurried off. Just then Fozzie entered the living room with his mother and made his way over to join Kermit. Crouching down in front of Robin Fozzie grinned at the small frog. “Hey Robin, you want to help me hang up the Christmas stockings for Santa?” he asked.

Robin nodded. “Okay Fozzie.” he agreed. Kermit smiled his appreciation to Fozzie as he and Robin headed over to the fireplace while Fozzie’s mother came up to Kermit and gave him a friendly pat on the back.

“Well, well Mister Lizard!” said Emily Bear brightly. “Are you enjoying yourself?

‘Frog!’ thought Kermit wearily, catching a glance of her embarrassed son covering his face in his paws, and smiled inwardly. ‘Poor Fozzie!’ he thought before smiling at Emily Bear and answering “Yes thank you Mrs Bear I am. It was very kind of you to invite us. We’ve all been looking forward to this visit.

“The pleasure’s all mine!” said Emily Bear. “I too have been looking forward to you visit especially because I wanted to thank you!”

“Thank me?” asked Kermit. “What did you want to thank me for Mrs Bear?”

“Why for including me in ‘A Muppet Christmas Carol’ this year!” Emily Bear exclaimed. “It was a wonderful experience and getting to meet Michael Caine – oh!” Emily clapped her paws together. “You made this old bear very, very happy!”

Kermit smiled warmly at Emily. “I’m delighted to hear it Mrs Bear. When I suggested it to Ji – I mean Brian, he agreed that there was no one better to play Fozziewig’s mom than his own mother!” he said.

Emily beamed at Kermit, who sighed softly. Mentioning Brian had prompted Kermit to the realization that this was their third Christmas without Jim. ‘Three! Where in the world does time go?’ he wondered and almost automatically the next thought that came to him was how it was also their first Christmas without Richard. ‘Yet another one of life’s departings!’ Kermit thought sadly.

“Uncle Kermit! We’re finished!” Robin called excitedly. “Come and see!”

“Okay Robin. Excuse me Mrs Bear.” said Kermit. He walked over and stood in front of the fireplace, which was now festooned with holly, baubles and brightly colored stockings. “Oh Robin, that’s wonderful!” said Kermit admiringly.

“It’s looks great doesn’t it?” enthused Robin.

“It certainly does! You and Fozzie really did a first class job of decorating.” Kermit answered. “Santa is going to really like what you’ve done there. Won’t be too long now before he arrives.” Robin grinned happily for a moment then his grin faded and he stared down at the floor. Kermit placed his arm around his nephew’s shoulders and asked gently “Robin? Is everything okay?”

“Oh sure.” murmured Robin then he gave a small gasp. “Cookies! I need cookies for Santa!” he exclaimed and bolted into the kitchen. Kermit shook his head as Fozzie came over to stand next to him. “Kermit? Is Robin okay?” Fozzie asked.

“Oh I think so. He’s a little upset that Scooter didn’t join us for Christmas.” Kermit explained. “Robin was really hoping he would turn up. So was I for that matter. After all, we haven’t seen Scooter since Richard…….” Kermit trailed off and shook his head again.

Fozzie nodded his understanding and patted Kermit’s shoulder. “Does his uncle know where Scooter has gone?” he asked.

“No.” said Kermit quickly as Floyd Pepper opened the kitchen door for Robin who came running in, clutching a plate of cookies. Kermit did not want to discuss the extremely unpleasant conversation he’d had with JP Grosse about Scooter’s whereabouts in front of his nephew. “Uncle Kermit! Janice gave me some of the cookies she baked for me to leave out for Santa!” he called happily.

“Santa! Santa!” bellowed Animal, jumping to his feet. “Gimme presents!”

“Heel Animal!” shouted Floyd, grabbing Animal’s chain and pulling sharply on it. “He’s not coming until after you go to sleep!”

“Heel! Heel! Heel!” chanted Animal, before flopping back down on the floor with a grunt. “Sorry Kermit.” apologized Floyd. “You just can’t say that name around Animal!”

“That’s alright Floyd.” Kermit said and then smiled brightly down at Robin. “I’ve got a great idea Robin. Let’s go put those cookies on the fireplace for Santa and then we’ll go find Rowlf so we can have our Christmas singalong!” said Kermit.

“Hooray!” cheered Robin and trotted off with Kermit and Fozzie. Floyd smiled as he watched the trio leave and looked around the living room. Doctor Teeth was taking a nap in an armchair with his hands folded on his chest, Animal was watching a Christmas program on the television and Zoot was dozing on the landing of the stairs with his head leaning on railing. Floyd decided to join him and as he flopped down next to Zoot the saxophonist stirred and glanced up at him.

“Janice still cooking up a storm?” Zoot asked with a smile.

“Oh yeah!” answered Floyd. “In fact, Mama has just informed me that tomorrow we – as in you and me man – are gonna be taking all those cookies and cakes she’s made to the patients at the hospital where Fozzie’s ma volunteers!”

Zoot laughed at this. “Well, it’ll finally give us a chance to spread some Christmas joy!” he said. “After all, with everything she’s done, Janice’s easily been Santa’s best helper this year!”

“And I wish she wasn’t!” muttered Floyd, dropping his head in his hands.

Zoot stared at Floyd, taken aback at the bitterness in his tone. He’d never used it before when talking about Janice. Zoot reached out and placed his hand on Floyd’s arm. “Floyd? What’s the matter?” he asked worriedly.

Floyd lifted his head to look at Zoot and sighed. “Oh nothing man.” He said “It’s just….. well, Mama’s been throwing herself into all this holiday stuff because she’s trying not to focus on this being the first Christmas without Richard.” Floyd shook his head and continued “I ask her all the time is she alright and she always answers ‘Fer sure!’ but I tell ya man – I know she’s not and I’m worried sick! You know, I haven’t even seen her cry….” Floyd paused for a moment and sighed again. “Maybe I’m the one who’s in the wrong, not understanding how she feels.”

“You love her.” said Zoot quietly. “You want to help her. How can that possibly be wrong?” Floyd looked down and didn’t respond. After waiting a few minutes Zoot pressed on. “Is there anything I can do to help you? Either of you?”

Floyd shrugged. “Nothing that I can think of at the moment.” He replied “Maybe later something will occur to me.”

Zoot nodded. It seemed he’d asked Floyd that same question every day for the last year or so. And the answer was always the same. “Well the offer’s there and it always will be. Anything either of you want. Or need. All you have to do is ask.”

“Does that include looking after Animal?” asked Floyd with a smile.

“Especially looking after Animal!” answered Zoot with a firm nod.

Floyd laughed. “Well, let’s hope it doesn’t come to that!” he exclaimed, reaching out and clutching Zoot’s hand for a moment. “But thanks man.” he said appreciatively. Zoot smiled kindly at Floyd. “You’re welcome. And I meant everything I said.” He told Floyd, who smiled back at him, as Doctor Teeth woke up from his nap, got out of the armchair and stretched, grinning as he spotted his band mates.

“So, what did I miss while I was in dreamland?” he asked.

“Nothing too much. Greenstuff has gone to get Rowlf so we can have our carols” Replied Floyd as he looked over at the kitchen door. “I better go get Mama so she can join us.”

Doctor Teeth shook his head. “No man, I’m on my feet. I’ll get her.” he said, and headed over to the door as Floyd called out his thanks. Entering the kitchen Doctor Teeth observed every spare inch of space was covered with freshly baked Christmas goodies and his eyes lighting up when he spotted the cupcakes with chocolate frosting and tiny candy cane decorations. Just as he went to select one a sharp rapping came from the window. Doctor Teeth’s head spun around and he grinned as he spotted Janice, glaring at him from the outside porch. Noticing an old blanket hanging on the back of the door Doctor Teeth wrapped it around him went outside to join Janice. As he approached her Janice, who was rugged up in her winter coat, pointed an accusatory finger at him.

“Like, if you taste so much as a crumb of those cookies and cakes I baked, you will be washing absolutely every pot and pan in there!” she exclaimed. “They’re for the kids in the hospital, not you!”

“Okay Janice, I won’t sample any!” Doctor Teeth said with a grin. “But they do look absolutely scrumptious!” Janice simply shook her head but had a smile on her face. Doctor Teeth asked “What are you doing out here anyway? It’s so cold!”

“Oh, I just wanted to get some fresh air. I started to get too hot.” Janice tugged her winter coat closer to her. “Only now, I like seem to be getting too cold!” she replied with a small laugh.

“Well you better come inside now!” ordered Doctor Teeth. “We’re gonna have our carol sing in the not too distant future!”

“Fer sure.” said Janice distractedly. Doctor Teeth headed back and opened the kitchen door. Looking over his shoulder to make sure Janice was behind him, Doctor Teeth noticed Janice hadn’t moved and was staring at the dark sky sadly. Closing the door he went back over to her and placed his arm around her shoulders.

“Thinking about Richard?” he asked softly.

Janice pulled her gaze away from the sky and looked at Doctor Teeth and gave him a small smile. “Like am I that obvious?” she asked.

Doctor Teeth just smiled and opened his arms. “Come here.” He whispered and as Janice stepped into them and rested her head on his shoulder Doctor Teeth wrapped the blanket around both of them. They stood there for a few minutes without speaking until Doctor Teeth asked “Is anything else bothering you?”

Janice shrugged. “Like you’ll think I’m silly….” She murmured.

“Try me!” challenged Doctor Teeth, smiling down at her.

Janice looked up at Doctor Teeth and then paused for a minute trying to gather her thoughts. “It’s just like…..” she began before looking away and taking a deep breath and continuing “It’s just that I am so mad at myself for not having cried yet!” she exclaimed. “While Richard was sick, I think I cried just about every day but not once have I cried since he left us! Janice started to tremble violently and Doctor Teeth pulled her back close to him. “And I don’t know why!” she whispered.

“Because right now the head is in charge, but the heart will catch up sooner or later.” Said Doctor Teeth simply as he stroked her hair, and then sighed. “I remember when Jim died. I kept thinking about how very sick he was, how he was never going to get better and my head kept telling me how everything turned out was for the best.” Doctor Teeth paused for a minute then continued “Then you remember how one day months later when we was in the middle of rehearsal and we had some minor tiff over how Jim liked things, well my heart took over completely and told me things were not for the best. Jim was gone and never coming back. And I lost it……” Doctor Teeth chuckled ruefully at the memory of him hiding behind his keyboard having sobbing his heart out and the remainder of the Electric Mayhem completely beside themselves trying to help him. Doctor Teeth sighed and placed his finger under Janice’s chin, tilting her head up gently so she looked him in the eye. “They say grief is the price we pay for love, but we have to grieve in our own way. Don’t beat yourself up for not crying baby doll.”

Janice rested her head against his shoulder again and sighed. “I know I shouldn’t but it’s just so hard.” She said then smiled up at Doctor Teeth. “I’m sorry, like I’m bringing you down now and it’s supposed to be Christmas!”

“Don’t worry about it! It’s what I’m here for!” laughed Doctor Teeth. Glancing back inside through the kitchen window he noticed everyone had now gathered in the farmhouse’s lounge room and Rowlf was sitting behind the piano and running his fingers over the keys. “Come on, we had better go in or they’ll be sending out a search part!” said Doctor Teeth.

“Like I’ll be right there.” said Janice as Doctor Teeth gave her a dubious look. “I promise!”

“Okay, but if you’re not inside in precisely 1 minute I’ll send Animal out to get you!” exclaimed Doctor Teeth and hurried back inside as the sounds of Rowlf’s playing could be heard throughout the house. Janice giggled in surprise as a she felt a cold breeze behind her. Then she stared for a moment and held her hands out in front of her. A cool drop landed on her hand, and then another and another. ‘It’s snowing!’ she thought wondrously and looked up at the night sky where one particularly bright star caught her attention.

“Hey Mama, what’s keeping ya?” Floyd shouted over the music.

“Like I’m coming! Fer sure!” she called back and opened the kitchen door pausing for a moment to take one last look at the night sky. Glancing back over her shoulder Janice could still see star. Smiling she blew the star a kiss.

“Merry Christmas Richard.” Janice whispered.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now this is what a good fic should be and how it should be written.

Christmas 1992 was particularly hard for me as well, having to deal with my dad's death. So I can understand or empathize with the various levels of grief and sadness and depths of emotions that the various Muppets are showing at the farmhouse. Kermit and Janice seem to be matched in their internal reveries over both Jim and Richard. Trying to remain distracted with chores seems like a good idea at the time, but you do need to understand your internal feelings and come to peace with them. Which is why I rully liked the ending of the chapter when Janice finally got her smile back. The conversation between Floyd and Zoot was poinient, hope that offer will still be there when it comes time for Floyd's own grief twenty years later (2012).

Nice reference to both MFC and MCC, sprinkling those throught will help add a dose of humor to the fic.
Thanks for posting, hope to read more soon. :smile:

Kristine73

Reaction score
Now this is what a good fic should be and how it should be written.

Christmas 1992 was particularly hard for me as well, having to deal with my dad's death. So I can understand or empathize with the various levels of grief and sadness and depths of emotions that the various Muppets are showing at the farmhouse. Kermit and Janice seem to be matched in their internal reveries over both Jim and Richard. Trying to remain distracted with chores seems like a good idea at the time, but you do need to understand your internal feelings and come to peace with them. Which is why I rully liked the ending of the chapter when Janice finally got her smile back. The conversation between Floyd and Zoot was poinient, hope that offer will still be there when it comes time for Floyd's own grief twenty years later (2012).

Nice reference to both MFC and MCC, sprinkling those throught will help add a dose of humor to the fic.
Thanks for posting, hope to read more soon. :smile:
Thank you so very much!