Muppet Fanfic: No Longer Run

Kristine73

Reaction score
Hi Everybody! Here is another story for LeahXZoot4Ever. Enjoy!

No Longer Run

Chapter 1.

Weaving her way through the tables at the restaurant, Leah was exceptionally glad it was extremely busy tonight. Concentrating on the diners certainly made it more difficult to concentrate on the fact that she had just broken up with her boyfriend. The restaurant was filled with the usual mix of regulars who enjoyed coming every weekend, visitors to the city and locals who were keen to try a new restaurant.

At one particular table in a corner there were some regular clients, who Leah knew to be the members of the Electric Mayhem. They had been coming to this restaurant for as long as she had worked there and ever since the first time she served them, they always requested her to be their waitress, constantly praising her work to the restaurant’s owner and Leah was always happy to oblige. The first time Leah served them she was extremely nervous; constantly worrying that she would do something to upset them and being a fan of theirs didn’t help matters at all. However Leah was delighted to find the group extremely friendly and down to earth, and these days it was hard for her to believe she had once been so terrified. The extra bonus was that the band were extremely generous in their tips!

Heading over to collect their used dishes, Doctor Teeth looked up and turned a beaming smile on her. “Ah, here is our lovely Leah back again!” he exclaimed. “One of the two best things available at the Italian Exchange, the other being Nonna Chiara’s beautiful pasta alla norma!” the one dish Doctor Teeth always ordered without fail.

“The good doctor speaks the honest to goodness truth!” agreed Floyd. Leah smiled at him and tried not to notice as Floyd reached an arm around Janice and pulled her close to him. It wasn’t so much that she was jealous, she thought to herself. No, it was more that she was worried if she took notice she might start feeling sorry for herself and begin crying in front of them – not a good look!

“Like, do you have much longer to work tonight Leah?” asked Janice with a smile.

“A couple more hours, and then I have the next 2 days off.” Replied Leah, forcing herself to smile back at Janice as she placed their dishes on a tray.

“Just as long as you’re back next Wednesday.” Said Doctor Teeth. “We’ll be stopping here to refuel after a gig we got that night, and it just wouldn’t be the same not seeing your lovely smile!” Leah smiled and shook her head as she continued clearing the table.

“Besides,” added Floyd with a wink, “I think that Animal is just a little bit fond of you! Isn’t that right Animal?” he asked.

“Uh huh! Hi Le-ah!” shouted Animal happily.

“Hello Animal!” replied Leah, rubbing Animal’s head as she passed, making the drummer sigh contentedly. Reaching the last member of the party Leah reached across Zoot to collect his plate, which was pushed a little farther away from her reach. Seeing this Zoot immediately picked it up himself and passed it to her with a smile. “There you go Leah, sorry about that.” said Zoot kindly.

“No problem.” Murmured Leah gratefully. Looking back up at the table she asked “I’ll come back with the dessert menu in about 15 minutes, yes?” knowing from past experience the group liked to wait a while after the main course before ordering dessert.

“Leah, well will most posolutely be looking forward to it!” stated Doctor Teeth.

“Okay. I’ll be back soon!” As Leah headed back to the kitchen Zoot watched her leave. ‘Leah didn’t seem her usual bubbly self tonight.’ He thought ‘Hope everything is okay.’

As Leah entered the bustling kitchen, she headed over to the dishwasher and placed the dirty dishes in the machine before calling out to Nonna Chiara, “The Electric Mayhem said they’ll order dessert in about 15 minutes.”

“Excellent!” Nonna Chiara replied, as everyone called the mother of the restaurant owner who oversaw kitchen operations, before turning to Leah and saying “Here, I have prepared some of my special gelato for you to eat while you have your break!” while offering Leah a huge bowl of dessert. “I guarantee it will make you feel better, at least for a little while!”

Leah grinned back happily. Nonna Chiara knew she had just broken up with her boyfriend and was obviously trying to cheer her up. Leah took the bowl from the older woman and headed out the back of the kitchen. As she made her way outside another waitress called to her “So Leah, have you convinced Doctor Teeth to give you an audition yet?” Leah bristled at the remark, but before she had to think of a response Nonna Chiara jumped in and snapped “Brittany, that question makes me think you have nothing to do!” Brittany turned bright red and Leah smothered a grin as she went outside to where the restaurant staff sat during their breaks.

Sitting on the steps at the restaurant Leah sighed to herself as she picked at the gelato, torn between not wanting anything to eat and hurting Nonna Chiara’s feelings, when she was clearly worried about her. There were no two ways about it – today had turned out absolutely hideous, and those comments about auditioning for Doctor Teeth had upset her. Leah desperately wanted to make it as a professional singer and sometimes she would fantasise about how she would casually mention it to the Electric Mayhem one night while serving them, Doctor Teeth would then ask her to audition, they would love her and invite her to join them…..

“Yeah, just a fantasy!”
though Leah sadly. Picking at the gelato again Leah pulled her phone out of her skirt pocket and turned it on again as Nonna Chiara was extremely strict about no mobile phones being on during work time. Looking disinterestedly at the missed calls she had Leah noticed they were all from Corey. Shaking her head as she went to place the phone besides her on the step it rang. The name ‘Corey’ came up on the display and Leah rolled her eyes and hit the decline button. “As if I want to talk to you again!” she muttered angrily.

“Oh dear, Leah!” came a voice. Leah jumped in fright, knocking the bowl of gelato of the steps and causing it to smash. Looking up Leah froze in shock. Somehow Corey had snuck through the carpark and was now standing in front of her and she had no way to escape.

Smiling maliciously down at her Corey asked “Now, why in the world don’t you want to talk to me again Leah?”

Kristine73

Reaction score
Time for another chapter!

Chapter 2.

Leaning back in his chair Doctor Teeth placed his hands behind his head and sighed happily. “So tell me, has anyone heard from Lips and Dolores since they joined the wonderful life that is matrimony?” he asked.

Floyd shook his head “Not me man.” He replied “What about you Mama?”

Janice shook her head. “Like no.” she replied. “Zoot?”

“Only a quick phone call from Lips to let me know they arrived in New Zealand safely.” replied Zoot. “Apart from that, silencio. Probably too busy enjoying themselves to think about us.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.” Said Doctor Teeth. Turning to Floyd and Janice he asked “So, tell me Floyd, when do you plan to tell everyone your and Janice’s big news?”

A few weeks ago Floyd had asked Janice to marry him, and of course she said yes. They had immediately shared their delight with the rest of the Electric Mayhem, however not wanting to steal the thunder from Lips and Dolores’ upcoming wedding day, everyone agreed it best not to tell any of the other Muppets they were engaged and Janice wasn’t even wearing a ring yet. Rowlf was the only one outside the Electric Mayhem who knew as he had been with the group when Janice and Floyd announced they were engaged and he had been sworn to secrecy. Fortunately being the trustworthy hound Rowlf was, Floyd and Janice had no concerns about him keeping his mouth firmly shut, excited as he was for them both.

“Like, as soon as Lips and Dolores get back we’ll make our.…..” began Janice, but trailed off abruptly when she heard a terrified shriek. “What was that?” she asked, then the sounds of shouting came from the kitchen, prompting Animal to jump up and start shouting unintelligibly. Floyd leaped from his seat and made a huge lunge for his chain.

“Heel Animal! Heel!” shouted Floyd desperately. There were precious few restaurants where the Electric Mayhem could take Animal with them when the wanted to eat out and Floyd did not want to risk their being thrown out of the one local establishment who always welcomed Animal.

“Heel! Heel! Heel!” shouted Animal as he sat back down, while still looking around excitedly and panting. Floyd shook his head and patted Animal’s shoulder. “Good Animal. Good boy.” He murmured. The shouting in the kitchen continued, as the sound of Nonna Chiara’s voice over the top of all the other noise was heard barking out orders.

“Nathan! Call the police! Brittany! Bring some clean napkins to my office!”

“Shall do Nonna Chiara!” came Nathan’s voice as the doors to the kitchen opened. Nonna Chiara was clutching one of the waitresses to her and gently guided the girl out of the kitchen and into her office. Watching from their table Doctor Teeth’s eyes widened in recognition.

“Why, that’s Leah!” he cried out.

“Are you sure?” asked Zoot, swiveling around in his chair to look.

“Absolutely!” answered Doctor Teeth “It looks like someone’s bashed her!”

“Oh my goodness!” whispered Janice, pushing her chair back and getting up as Floyd watched her.

“Where you going Mama?” he asked.

“Like to see if she’s alright of course!” snapped Janice. “To see if Nonna Chiara needs any help! Rully!” Without waiting for Floyd to respond, Janice strode across the restaurant to the office. Looking in the office Janice spotted Nonna Chiara sitting on the sofa hugging Leah close to her as Leah sobbed into her shoulder. Knocking lightly at the door Nonna Chiara looked up.

“Nonna Chiara? Is everything alright?” Janice asked quietly as she slipped into the office.

“Oh Miss Janice.” She sighed, shaking her head. “Leah broke up with her boyfriend. He came to try to make her go back to him. When she refused, he hit her, he punched her and then he takes a piece of broken glass and slashes her across the face!” There was another knock on the door and waitress Brittany entered with the napkins. Nonna Chiara thanked her as she took them and then turned her attentions back to Leah.

“Now Leah darling, I’m going to place this napkin on the cut to help stop the bleeding. Can you take your hand away from your cheek for a moment, there’s a good girl?” coaxed Nonna Chiara. Leah shook as lowered her hand slowly and Janice’s hand flew to her mouth, forcing herself not to gasp out loud as she saw the angry bleeding gash on Leah’s cheek. Nonna Chiara placed the napkin on Leah’s cheek and held it firmly in place.

“There we go.” said Nonna Chiara kindly. “Leah I will take you to the hospital now…..”

“No! Please! I don’t want to!” cried Leah. Nonna Chiara sighed. “Very well, no hospital. But you are definitely coming home with me…..”

“I can’t! Corey will come looking for me! He knows where you live Nonna Chiara! You’ll get hurt too!”

“If he turns up we call the police.” Declared Nonna Chiara.

“No! Don’t call the police! They won’t help!” wailed Leah and then began crying again as Nonna Chiara hugged her close. Janice glanced over her shoulder and spotted the remainder of the Electric Mayhem standing in the doorway. Each looked horrified as they took in what happened to Leah.

“Poor little thing.” Murmured Zoot. “She’s so terrified her ex is going to come back.”

“And that’s putting it mildly.” Sighed Doctor Teeth, thinking angrily “The joker that attacked her had better not cross my path or he’ll find out what a hiding really is!”

Janice walked over to join the group. “So Mama, what’s going down with Leah now?” asked Floyd quietly, as Animal stared at her sadly.

Janice sighed and shook her head. “Nonna Chiara like wants to take her to her place but Leah is like totally terrified that her boyfriend will turn up there. I heard her say he knows where Nonna Chiara lives.”

“Well we can’t have that, can we?” asked Doctor Teeth as he entered the office and approached Nonna Chiara.

“Um, excuse me Nonna Chiara,” he began as the lady looked up. “But I don’t suppose there is anywhere we can take Leah? Family maybe? It’s absolutely no trouble at all.”

Nonna Chiara smiled back gratefully and shook his head. “That is so very, very kind of you Doctor Teeth, but Leah has no family you see. Parents are dead; brother is in the army and serving overseas at the moment.”

“Then she will just have to come home with us!” declared Janice.

“I agree with Janice.” Said Zoot. “Leah needs to feel safe. We should take her with us.”

“And Animal, you want to help Leah, don’t you?” asked Janice with a big smile at the drummer.

“Help Le-ah! Help Le-ah!” shouted Animal excitedly while jumping up and down, making Floyd tug on this chain again to settle him.

“Like, that’s three votes in favour. Leah comes with us.” Stated Janice firmly, while Floyd chuckled at her determination.

“Miss Janice, if it is not an inconvenience, I would be so very grateful.” said Nonna Chiara.

“It is absolutely no inconvenience. It is our pleasure.” Said Janice earnestly. Nonna Chiara smiled and looked down at Leah, who had remained totally oblivious to the whole conversation above her.

“Leah? Are you listening?” asked Nonna Chiara. Leah nodded in reply.

Nonna Chiara smiled again. “Well, Miss Janice here tells me you can go back to her house.”

“Oh okay – wait what?” Leah looked up in amazement as she took on board what Nonna Chiara just said and turned to look at the Electric Mayhem, who were all smiling at her.

“I can?” she asked in an amazed whisper.

“Like you sure can honey.” Said Janice kindly, taking Leah's hand in her's as she crouched down in front of Leah and took in the full extent of Leah’s facial injuries. Apart from the slash on her cheek, Leah’s top lip was split, one eye was bruised and there appeared to be some other grazes. Janice shook her head sadly. ‘Like, she rully needs a doctor!’ she thought. ‘Hopefully when we get home I’ll be able to convince her to see one.’

“I’ll just go get the bus so we can get going.” Said Doctor Teeth. Turning to Nonna Chiara he said “I’ll come back tomorrow and settle…..”

“Absolutely not!” exclaimed Nonna Chiara. “It’s on the house tonight. My way of saying thank you for caring about Leah.”

Doctor Teeth grinned at Nonna Chiara, looked down at Janice, who was talking quietly to Leah and then tapped Floyd on the shoulder “Come on, let’s get the bus and get Animal safely chained into place.”

“No problem.” Floyd picked up Animal’s chain and pulled on it, “Let’s go Animal.”

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” he yelled. Doctor Teeth stopped for a moment and beckoned to Zoot to come closer. “I’ll text you when I’m ready.” He whispered. Zoot nodded and Doctor Teeth, Floyd and Animal made their way through the restaurant and out to the car park. On reaching the bus Doctor Teeth unlocked the doors and the group made their way on board. While Doctor Teeth contacted Zoot, Floyd chained Animal into his usual seat behind the drum kit. Doctor Teeth’s phone chimed in reply and Doctor Teeth started the engine.

“Okay let’s go get them. The quicker we can get Leah back to ours the better.” Said Doctor Teeth.

“Sure thing.” agreed Floyd and then he sighed. “What my old man wouldn’t do to me if I did that to a woman.” He muttered.

Doctor Teeth nodded sadly. “Too true. Too true.” He agreed as he pulled the bus up outside the Italian Exchange’s back exit where his passengers were waiting and opened the doors. Janice and Leah, who was wrapped in Zoot’s jacket and still holding the napkin to her cheek, climbed aboard the bus followed by Nonna Chiara, while Zoot and Nathan waited outside keeping look out. Doctor Teeth watched in the rear view mirror as Janice helped Leah into a seat and wrapped her arm around Leah’s shoulders and Nonna Chiara spoke to them for a few minutes. Then Nonna Chiara kissed Leah on the forehead, shook hands with Janice and came back down the aisle to the door. Pausing to speak to Doctor Teeth she said “Thank you so very much again for this Doctor Teeth. Please take good care of her.”

Doctor Teethed smiled. “Don’t worry, we will.” He reassured Nonna Chiara as she climbed off the bus and Zoot came aboard the bus. Walking up to the driver’s seat Zoot paused to speak to Doctor Teeth. “Couldn’t see any sign of the ex hanging around.”

“In that case let’s get out of here quick smart!” Doctor Teeth put the bus in drive and with one last quick glance behind him to make sure everyone was safely seated, steered the bus out of the carpark onto the road and headed back in the direction of home.

Kristine73

Reaction score
Here's the next chapter!

Chapter 3.

Sal Minella clapped his furry hands together and scooped another pile of peanuts towards him. On the other side of the kitchen table Johnny Fiama sulked, having just lost another hand of poker to the monkey. Sal grinned over at him and asked “Just remind me once again – what are we doing here tonight while Kermit is out?”

“Keeping out of Mama’s way,” answered Johnny sourly. “She’s doing a stocktake of her pasta sauce supplies.”

“Ah yes, that’s right!” answered Sal, picking up the cards to shuffle them. “Another game Johnny? Dealers choice?” he asked brightly. “No thank you, I’ve lost – “Johnny began to answer, then stopped abruptly and looked up as he heard the sound of a car engine approaching the boarding house.

“Johnny?” asked Sal.

“Come on. It’s time to go home.” Johnny replied hurriedly as he stood up, collected his jacket off the back the chair and went out the kitchen door. Sal shrugged; picked up the bag he was storing his winning peanuts in and followed him. “Say Johnny, we did have Kermit’s permission to be here tonight didn’t we?” he called, shutting the kitchen door behind him.

Doctor Teeth parked the Electric Mayhem’s bus and opened the doors. Floyd and Animal climbed down first, followed by Janice who still had her arm around Leah’s shoulders and guided her down the bus steps. “Okay Leah, we’ll take you into the bathroom and like see about getting those cuts cleaned up.” Janice said kindly. Leah nodded as Floyd fished the key out of his pocket to open Muppet Boarding House door, all the while keeping a firm grip on Animal’s chain. Zoot went to climb down the steps next, glancing out the front window as he made his way out.

“Hey Doctor Teeth?” he said.

“Um-hmm?” replied Doctor Teeth as he took the keys out the ignition.

“Check that out!” Doctor Teeth looked out the window at where Zoot was pointing and spotted Johnny and Sal sneaking out through the back yard. Doctor Teeth grinned at Zoot, “Watch this!” he whispered mischievously while opening the driver side window. Leaning out the window Doctor Teeth bellowed at the top of his lungs “Staying out of Mama’s way tonight, eh Johnny?” correctly guessing that Kermit had no idea whatsoever that Johnny and Sal had been over. Johnny gave Doctor Teeth a filthy look and stalked off, with Sal in hot pursuit. Doctor Teeth and Zoot both laughed as they got off the bus and went inside to join the others.

On reaching the Electric Mayhem’s rooms Floyd sang out “Here we are, home sweet home!” and opened the door to let Janice and Leah head through first. Janice turned on the light and took Leah’s hand. “Okay Leah, come this way.” She said, leading her through the living area, into the bathroom and sitting her down on the edge of the bathtub. Crouching down in front of Leah again Janice smiled and said, “Now you just like sit here and relax. I won’t be a moment.”

“Okay Janice.” whispered Leah. As Janice stood back up, turned to the washbasin and started running hot water into it, the sound of another car approaching the boarding house was heard. Floyd headed over to the window and looked out.

“Like, who is it honey? Is it Kermit?” Janice called.

“Yeah, it’s his amphibiousness!” replied Floyd. “I better go down and tell him Leah’s here and that she’ll be stayin’ a spell.”

“Okay hon.” Said Janice. Floyd smiled down at Leah and said “I’ll leave Animal here with you to keep you safe, okay Animal?”

“Okay! Stay with Le-ah!” shouted Animal happily.

“Animal.” warned Floyd, noticing Leah smiling nervously at the drummer.

Animal immediately quietened down. “In control.” He stated.

Floyd nodded his approval and headed out. Janice giggled as she wrung a clean wash cloth out in the hot water. Kneeling down in front of Leah Janice said “Okay honey, now I’ll just clean those cuts. I’ve put tea-tree oil in the water to help stop them getting infected. I’m sorry if it hurts.”
“Okay.” Leah whispered again, wincing as she felt the sting of the tea-tree infused water Janice dabbed on her injuries, starting with the slash on her cheek. Janice apologized constantly as she continued her work. When finally finished Janice rinsed the wash cloth out again and picked up a towel and sat down next to Leah on the edge of the bathtub. As Janice started to pat Leah’s face dry she asked “Leah, can you like tell me what happened tonight?”

Leah didn’t answer immediately, looking down at the floor instead. Janice smiled at her, picked up Leah’s hand and tried again. “Please Leah, like talking about things always helps, I promise.”

“Yeah!” agreed Animal enthusiastically.

Leah looked up at Janice and Animal and sighed. “Okay,” she began. “I had been to the grocery store this morning and I spotted a friend of ours and Corey. When I called out to him he seemed real surprised to see me, when I asked why he said he thought he had spotted me with Corey a few minutes ago and that wasn’t right. Now, I’ve had this feeling everything was not right between me and Corey for a while. I even asked him the other day was everything okay with us and he just brushed me off with a ‘yeah everything’s cool.’ So I decided to head straight home and when I entered our apartment…..I found Corey all over this girl who he works with.” Leah stopped and Janice placed her arm around her shoulders, nodding encouragingly for her to keep going.

Sighing again Leah said “I didn’t even say a word, I couldn’t – I was just so shocked I went straight back out the door. Unfortunately Corey saw me leave and started shouting after me to come back but I just ran. Ran straight to the Italian Centre where I found Nonna Chiara and started crying all over her!” Leah gave a tiny laugh and continued, “So anyway, Corey kept phoning me all day and all night, but I wouldn’t take his calls. Then he turned up while I was having my break. He demanded to know why I wouldn’t speak to him. I told him he knew why and tried to go back into the kitchen, but he grabbed my wrists so I couldn’t get away. He yelled at me to come home. I refused and told him we were finished.”

Leah stopped for a moment to gather herself and Janice pulled Leah a little closer to her. “Next thing I know, he drags me down off the steps by my hair and punches me in the face. I landed on the footpath and as I pushed myself up I feel this intense cutting pain down my cheek. He’d picked up a piece of the dessert bowl I broke and attacked me with it. But before he could do anything else to me Nathan our chef came racing out of the kitchen swinging a meat cleaver and scared him off!”

“Well I’m very glad he did.” said Janice.

“Me too! Me too!” shouted Animal.

Leah gave Janice and Animal a small smile as a knock came on the bathroom door. Looking up they saw Kermit and Floyd standing in the doorway, with Doctor Teeth, Zoot, Fozzie, and Gonzo behind them.

“Oh Kermit,” said Janice standing up, “did Floyd explain everything?”

“He most certainly did and it’s all alright.” Said Kermit with a smile as he entered the bathroom and extended a flipper to Leah. “Hi-ho Leah, it’s great to meet you. Please feel free to stay as long as you like.”

“Oh, it will only be for a little while!” exclaimed Leah nervously, as she took Kermit’s flipper. She had heard about Kermit’s legendary kindness and generosity and how on more than one occasion less than honest people had tried to take advantage of it. While Doctor Teeth was driving back to the boarding house Janice had asked what had brought her to California and she had only just caught herself in time before telling Janice she wanted to be a professional singer. If she mentioned that the Electric Mayhem may think they had been set up, and so too Kermit, which was not true at all. "Oh, I just wanted to get far away from home after my parents died." She had answered instead, hardly a lie but it was her singing ambitions that had made her decide upon Los Angeles as her new home. “And I will pay my way!”

“That’s alright Leah; we can work everything out in the morning.” Said Kermit kindly, bending down to take in Leah’s injuries for himself, which now looked a little better after Janice’s care. “You have called the doctor haven’t you Janice?”

“Well actually…..” Janice hesitated for a moment, “Well, like no I haven’t.”

“Please, I don’t want to cause any trouble.” Leah pleaded quietly.

“It is absolutely no trouble at all. In fact Leah I’d be much happier if you did.” he said concernedly. Leah simply nodded and Kermit smiled and patted her hand.

“Fozzie?” he called.

“Yes Kermit?”

“Call Dr Van Girdler and see if she can come over tonight, or first thing tomorrow morning. Oh, and you might like to mention it is NOT for the Great Gonzo!”

“Yes sir, straight away!” Fozzie answered and headed down to the living room. Gonzo turned to Kermit “What do you mean, ‘it is NOT for the Great Gonzo!’” he exclaimed, insulted by Kermit’s comment.

“Well Gonzo, when I visited the doctor last week, she mentioned to me that she is now onto her 10th filing cabinet of records of your work-related injuries!” Kermit said as he headed out the door.

Gonzo held out his hands in exasperation “But a true artiste must be prepared to suffer for his art!” he cried and ran out after Kermit. Doctor Teeth laughed at Gonzo's antics as he and Zoot and went over to join Janice, Floyd, Animal and Leah.

“So, everything is fine and dandy!” he exclaimed. “Now, all we have to decide is where Leah is going to sleep.”

“What about Annie-Sue’s room” asked Zoot. “She’s visiting her family in England at the moment, plus it’s right across the corridor from ours. I can’t see her minding.” Doctor Teeth, Janice and Floyd exchanged nods.

“Works for me!” said Floyd.

“And Annie Sue is so sweet; she’d like so much want to help.” Said Janice, and turned to Leah “I’ll just go and find you a pair of my pajamas to put on.” Leah smiled her. “Thank you,” she murmured, “Thank you all for…..” Leah trailed off as tears began to fall again, this time ones of relief.

Janice immediately rushed over, sat back down again and hugged Leah to her. “Like, it’s alright. It’s alright.” She soothed, stroking Leah's hair.

As Janice hugged her, and the guys in the Electric Mayhem gathered around them to reassure Leah they would take care of her, Leah realized that for the first time in a long time she felt secure, the one thing everyone needs to feel. Ever since she had lost her parents Leah had lacked that feeling of security her mother and father provided, even when she was living with Corey. Yet now, wrapped in Janice’s arms Leah she felt incredibly safe.

Safe with Janice. Safe with the Electric Mayhem. Safe with the Muppets at their boarding house.

Perhaps her running was finally at an end.

Kristine73

Reaction score
I'm giving this chapter a PG-13 rating, just to be on the safe side!

Chapter 4.

Pops slowly made his way from his office down to the Muppet Theater Cafeteria, leaned over the landing banister and scoured the room. Spotting who he wanted he shouted “Hey Janice!”

Looking up from her lunch Janice answered “Yeah Pops?”

“There’s some lady on the phone for you!”

Janice looked at Floyd and Doctor Teeth. “Like did she say who she was?” Janice asked.

“Nah,” answered Pops, “I thought she was a friend of Hilda’s, sounds like she’s from one of those European places. But she said she had to speak to Miss Janice at once. Said there was some emergency.” Pops shrugged and headed back to his office.

“Well, I guess I had better go see who wants to speak to Miss Janice!” Said Janice as she got up from her seat and went up the stairs. As she passed Sam the Eagle, he huffed “Miss Janice indeed!”

“You want to repeat that Chicken Little!” Floyd yelled angrily. Doctor Teeth reached out and put his hand on Floyd’s arm to calm him down. “Easy man, easy. He’s not worth it.” he murmured. Floyd continued to glare daggers at Sam, as Rowlf made his way to Floyd and Doctor Teeth’s table, giving Sam a hard stare as he passed the eagle. Sam glanced around uncomfortably and buried his beak in his book on American history.

“Oh boy.” said Rowlf as he sat down, looking at the still fuming Floyd Pepper. Hoping to lighten everyone’s mood Rowlf asked “So Floyd, when do Lips and Delores get back?”

“Not a hundred percent sure Rowlf. Sometime in the next day or two.” Answered Floyd.

“Hard to believe they’ve been gone 5 weeks!” exclaimed Doctor Teeth. “Where has that time gone?”

“Well just as long as they’re back soon,” said Rowlf with a smile, “This secret keeping is hard work! Incidentally Floyd – where’s Animal? I haven’t seen him all day.”

“Oh Animal’s gone off with Gonzo to help with some meatball act. Something involving cannonballs and bunny rabbits!” said Floyd, shaking his head at the thought. All three musicians laughed. Then Janice’s scream of “Oh my God!” was heard through the theater.

Floyd flew from the table and up the stairs, followed by Doctor Teeth and Rowlf. They found Janice backstage, gripping onto Kermit’s desk for support. She was white as a sheet and as she saw Floyd approach her Janice reached out to him.

“Floyd!” she whispered as he hugged her close.

“Mama! What’s happened?” he cried as Kermit, Fozzie, and Scooter came running backstage.

“Floyd, we heard Janice scream! Is she alright?” asked Kermit anxiously.

“Oh Floyd, it’s terrible!” Janice gasped.

“What’s terrible Mama? What?” demanded Floyd.

Janice forced herself to take a deep breath before speaking. “Honey, Leah is in great danger!”

Floyd stared at Janice. “What sort of danger Mama?”

“Corey – her ex. He knows she is with us.” said Janice sadly.

“How does he know Leah’s here?” asked Kermit.

“That was Nonna Chiara on the telephone,” explained Janice. “Like Corey came to the restaurant looking for Leah. She told him Leah no longer worked there and he threw a brick through the restaurant window! It was while she cleaning up chef Nathan rushed in and told her that he had caught waitress Brittany telling Corey where to find Leah!”

“That little *****! I’ll wring her neck!” shouted Floyd. Janice buried her head into his shoulder and began to cry softly, while Doctor Teeth put his head in his hands and shook his sighed as Rowlf put an arm around his shoulders.

“Alright, we’d better tell Leah what’s happened.” said Kermit, his mind spinning. “Scooter could you go down to wardrobe and tell Hilda I need Leah for a few minutes.”

“Right away Boss!” exclaimed Scooter and raced off on his mission.

“Oh honey,” sighed Janice, “I’m so scared. Corey sounds so angry, and with what happened last time…..”

“Don’t worry Mama, it’ll be cool.” Floyd reassured her, although he too was clearly upset.

“Boss.” came Scooter’s voice.

Kermit whipped around and spotted Scooter standing behind him. “Scooter?”

“Leah’s not in the theater. ”

“Like, where is she?” asked Janice anxiously.

“Heading back to the boarding house to get her phone.” replied Scooter. “Hilda said she left 10 minutes ago with Zoot. I tried calling him but his phone is switched off.”

“I’ll go see if I can find them!” Doctor Teeth said as he pulled the keys to the Electric Mayhem’s bus out of his pocket and bolted for the theater door, followed by Floyd and Janice. Kermit watched them leave and said “I’ll just call the boarding house. If Leah gets there first, I’ll have them keep her there. As Kermit picked up the telephone receiver, he saw Floyd come back into the theatre dejectedly.

“The bus has a flat tire.” He stated wearily, shaking his head. “It’s ain’t goin’ anywhere until the good doctor changes it!”

“We can’t even use the Studebaker because we decided to walk today! It’s back at the house! Oh Kermit, how are we going to warn Leah?” asked Fozzie in a panicked voice.

Walking along with Zoot as they made their way back to the Muppet Boarding House, Leah thought about the past 4 weeks since the Electric Mayhem had taken her in.

For the first few nights when Leah was suffering badly from nightmares, Janice had woken her and actually got into bed with her, holding Leah close. Leah was also understandably afraid to venture out alone, still extremely scared from the attack. However the guys in the band never seemed too busy to accompany her, just like Zoot was now, and helped with Leah’s feeling of security. Animal in particular had proved a most enthusiastic bodyguard! Additionally, for the first week it seemed that the band was bringing her presents of new clothes and cosmetics every day, so much so that Zoot had joked they had arranged a little Hanukah just for her. But much more than the material gifts, their greatest present had been their being there for Leah. Now, the nightmares were a distant memory and being outside did not seem so scary.

“Tell me Leah, how are you enjoying being Hilda’s assistant?” asked Zoot kindly. Kermit had arranged for Leah to work in wardrobe with Hilda, so Leah would be able to pay her own way and Hilda for her part was delighted with Leah’s hard work. In fact Hilda was so happy, earlier today Hilda had discussed with Leah the possibility of Leah taking over Hilda’s job. Leah still had not mentioned her singing dreams to anyone, especially the Electric Mayhem. Sometimes it was a little hard watching them rehearse and perform, knowing she would love to be up there with them, but Leah knew how much she owed them and was prepared to say nothing. It really was a very small price to pay for their friendship.

Leah nodded. “Yeah, I’m really enjoying it.” she answered. “Actually, today Hilda asked me how I would feel about taking over from her when she retires.”

“And how do you feel about that?” Zoot asked.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I’ve never really thought about working with clothes before. It would be such a big commitment being responsible for all those costumes.” Replied Leah truthfully, before asking Zoot “Did you know Miss Piggy has over 50 pairs of lavender gloves?”

“With that diva, nothing would surprise me!” said Zoot with a smile, as he wrapped his arm around Leah’s shoulders. “Do you want to stop for some lunch?”

“Okay,” Leah agreed. “Where will we go?”

“How about that organic bakery Janice –“ Zoot began asking, before stopping abruptly. “Did you hear that?” he asked, as he looked back in the direction of the theatre.

Leah started to shake her head, then paused. She could make out a definite shout of “Zoot!” “Leah!”

“Yes, I did that time. It sounds like Sweetums!” she exclaimed as the shout of “Zoot! Leah!” continued.

“I think we better head back to the theater. Something must be very wrong.” stated Zoot.
Leah nodded her agreement. “I wonder what it – AHHHH!” she shrieked.

“Leah! Leah! What’s wrong?!?” shouted Zoot, grabbing both her upper arms. Leah had turned pale and was staring wildly at something.

“Leah!” shouted Zoot again. Leah lifted a trembling hand to indicate someone crossing the road. Zoot looked where she was pointing and saw a younger man approaching them.

“Corey.” Leah whispered in an anguished tone.

“Hello Leah, miss me?” he asked, with the same malicious grin he had when he attacked her before. Leah clutched onto Zoot’s arm and shook her head in fright as Zoot stepped into Corey’s path.

“Leah does not want anything to do with you, so I suggest you leave – right now!” he ordered.

“Ah shut up and get out of – “Corey began, stopped and took a double take at Leah’s companion. Then he started laughing. “Well, I know you. You’re the sax player for the Electric Mayhem!” Corey exclaimed as Zoot stared at him in stony silence. “Yes, it’s all I’ve heard about since Leah first met you at the Italian Exchange. It’s ‘Electric Mayhem this’ and ‘Electric Mayhem that’ all the time!” Watching Zoot draw Leah close to him Corey sneered and asked “Decided that sleeping with the dippy hippie is the way to go to launch your big singing career?”

“Please Corey!” begged Leah, as Zoot gave her a quick puzzled look. “He’s doesn’t know I sing!”

“Oh, so I’ve been able to enlighten him have I?” asked Corey sarcastically.

“Yes, and now it’s my turn to enlighten you!” snapped Zoot, pushing Leah gently to one side before going toe to toe with Corey. “If Leah does wish to sleep with me, it will be her choice. Just as it is Leah’s choice not to want anything more to do with you anymore. So it is high time for YOU to make like a banana in the presence of ice cream and SPLIT!”

Sweetums spotted Leah and Zoot and paused for breath. He was puffing violently after racing from the Muppet Theatre to search for the pair, at Kermit’s request. Looking up, he saw Zoot arguing another man. ‘That must be Leah’s ex!’ he thought, noticing how terrified Leah looked. Then Sweetums watched on in horror as the other man threw a punch that landed smack in the middle of Zoot’s face! Zoot’s glasses made a very audible smash and Zoot fell heavily to the ground, as Leah threw herself down next to him.

“NO!” bellowed Sweetums, beginning to gallop towards Leah and Zoot again.

Corey reached down and grabbed Leah’s arm and started dragging her away. “You’re coming with me *****!” he shouted. Then Corey felt something grab him by his collar and pick him up, as Leah crawled back to join Zoot.

“THE LADY SAID NO!!!!!” Sweetums roared right in Corey’s face, who nodded nervously at the angry ogre. ‘Looks like seeing ‘Frozen’ with Robin all those times has been useful after all!’ thought Sweetums.

“I’ve called for the police! They’re on their way with the paramedics!” a local shopkeeper called out.

“Thank you!” replied Sweetums, hearing the distant sirens approaching them rapidly and keeping a tight hold on Corey. Looking down on the ground he asked anxiously “Leah, is Zoot alright?”

Leah didn’t answer, reaching out to Zoot who was writhing in pain. “Zoot?” she whispered.

“I can’t see!” cried Zoot “I CAN’T SEE!”

Kristine73

Reaction score
Another chapter just in time for the weekend! Enjoy!

Chapter 5.

“Gonzo! Gonzo listen!” Rowlf lowered the mobile phone away from his ear and shook his head. He could still hear Gonzo’s frantic squawking. Lifting the phone again he shouted “Gonzo! Both Kermit and Floyd want you to keep Animal at the theater please. Yes. We still haven’t heard how Zoot is. How are things back at the theater?” Rowlf sighed. “That good huh? Okay, I’m going back to join Kermit. I’ll call as soon as we hear something.” Rowlf smiled. “Of course I’ll give Zoot your’s and Camilla’s love. Bye bye.”

Rowlf sighed as he hung up and headed back into the hospital emergency waiting room. Spotting Scooter making his way out Rowlf called to him. “Hey Scooter, any word yet?”

Scooter shook his head. “Not yet. I don’t understand! We’ve been here over an hour! Why haven’t they told us anything?”

Rowlf reached out and patted Scooter’s arm. “Hey, we’ll find out soon.” Rowlf soothed. “The doctors are probably just busy running tests.” He could understand Scooter’s anxiousness. Everyone had been worrying since Janice received the phone call from Nonna Chiara and they were unable to warn Leah. In desperation, Kermit had decided to send Sweetums after Leah and Zoot, hoping just the sight of the 9 foot ogre would be enough to scare away a would-be attacker. Unfortunately, Kermit received a phone call from Sweetums repeating over and over “I was too late! I was too late!” Kermit was trying to find out from Sweetums what happened, when Pops brought in some police officers who had turned up at the Muppet Theater looking to speak to Doctor Teeth as he was listed as Zoot’s emergency contact.

“Yeah you’re probably right.” sighed Scooter. “Have you seen Leah out here?”

“No I haven’t.” said Rowlf, surprised. “Isn’t she in there with you?”

“No. Janice is very worried and Floyd wants me to go find her. I’m just heading down to the cafeteria to check.”

“You know, she probably just wants to be alone to get her head around what’s happened.”

“Oh yeah, I know,” agreed Scooter. “I’ll be back soon.” Rowlf watched Scooter leave, before heading back into the waiting room. As he entered Rowlf spotted Doctor Teeth pacing around the room like a caged lion while Floyd and Janice were huddled together, whispering something to each other Rowlf was unable to make out. Also sitting with them were Lips and Dolores. The newlyweds were back from their honeymoon and had turned up at the theater just after the police arrived to inform Doctor Teeth of Zoot’s attack. Naturally they insisted on coming to the hospital with the group. Lips had his arm around Dolores who was resting her head on Lip’s shoulder. He gently wiped away her tears with his thumb before kissing her forehead.

Rowlf went over to where Kermit and Fozzie were waiting. Kermit was sitting with his head in his flippers while Fozzie gently rubbed Kermit’s back. “It wasn’t your fault Kermit.” said Fozzie kindly.

“Listen to the bear, Kermit. You weren’t to know this was going to happen. None of us were.” agreed Rowlf as he sat down with them.

Kermit sat up and sighed. “Yeah.” Looking at Rowlf he asked, “Did you get a hold of Gonzo alright?”

Rowlf nodded. “I did. He wanted to come down here but finally agreed it best to keep Animal at the theater. The last thing we need is him going on a rampage.”

“And did Gonzo say how things were at the theater?” asked Fozzie.

“Oh yeah.” Rowlf rolled his eyes. “Hilda’s crying, Robin’s crying. Animal’s crying! I don’t know who I want 5 minutes alone with first Kermit – Leah’s ex or that waitress!” he snapped.

“It’s okay Rowlf.’ murmured Fozzie, putting his arm around Rowlf’s shoulder. Kermit sighed again. ‘What a day!’ he thought. He glanced over to where the Electric Mayhem was waiting and Doctor Teeth was pacing. Then he stopped.

“Right, that’s it!” Doctor Teeth suddenly shouted. Everyone in the waiting room turned to stare at him. “I’ve had it! We’ve been kept waiting too long! I demand to know what’s happening right now!”

Lips scrambled to his feet, raced over to Doctor Teeth and grabbed an arm. “Doctor Teeth! You gotta calm down or you’ll be thrown out!” he exclaimed, nervously looking at the emergency room staff who were watching them intently. A door opened and a doctor came out. He stopped to speak to a receptionist who indicated Doctor Teeth before making his way over to

Doctor Teeth stared at Lips for a moment and then moaned as he realized what he’d done and covered his face with his hands. “Ohhhh, I’m sorry man. All this waiting is – “

“Excuse me, are you here for Mr Zephyr Sims?” the doctor asked.

“What?” Doctor Teeth looked up quickly at the doctor. “Yes! Yes! That I am!” he exclaimed, as Floyd, Janice and Dolores hurried over to join Doctor Teeth and Lips. “How’s Zoot?”

“Well, Mr Sims has sustained a considerable amount of damage from the assault. To begin with there is a large amount of glass embedded in his left eye. Also the bone below the eye has been fractured.”

“Like, can you get the glass out?” asked Janice anxiously.

“We can, however the ophthalmologist feels it best Mr Sims be asleep while this takes place. Mr Sims will be sent for as soon as an operating room is ready. The glass will be removed and the fracture repaired.

“What about his right eye?” asked Lips. “The police said Zoot said he couldn’t see at all.”

“It’s fine.” reassured the doctor. “The loss of vision was most likely an after-effect from hitting the ground. Mr Sims could see normally out of it once again by the time the paramedics brought him in.”

“Finally some good news!” sighed Floyd. Turning to the doctor he asked “And once the glass is out of the left eye, Zoot will be able to see out of it, right?”

“We’ll have to wait for the ophthalmologist’s report, but hopefully yes.” replied the doctor.

“I don’t suppose we could see him?” asked Dolores.

“I’ll allow one person to come through and stay with Mr Sims until theater calls.” answered the doctor.

“Doctor Teeth, I do believe that’s your cue!” said Lips, patting Doctor Teeth on the back. Doctor Teeth looked at back at him, Floyd, Janice and Dolores who all nodded their agreement as Scooter came back.

“Scooter!” Floyd called. “Did you find Leah?”

Scooter shook his head. “No I didn’t. I even asked the receptionist over there if she had seen Leah. She said she saw the girl who came in with Mr Sims, a young girl with long blue hair, leave not long before arrived.” Scooter glanced over nervously at Doctor Teeth, who frowned and shook his head at Scooter’s report before following the doctor.

“So like where is she now?” cried Janice, as Floyd put his arms around her.

“Well, we know she’s not at the theater, Gonzo would’ve said so.” Kermit said, as Fozzie’s phone rang. “Maybe she went to Nonna Chiara?”

“I’ll call her right…..” Janice said pulling her phone out of her bag, but trailed off as saw Fozzie waving furiously at the group and pointing to his telephone. “Annie-Sue, please calm down! I can’t understand you! What – Leah’s there!?!” he exclaimed.

“Leah’s at the boarding house?” asked Kermit.

“Yes,” replied Fozzie, “Annie-Sue says she’s packing up all her stuff as if she’s going to run away!”

“Not if we can help it!” exclaimed Floyd. “We’ll go get her Mama!”

“Fer sure!” agreed Janice.

“Annie-Sue, Janice and Floyd are on their way right now! Yes! Do whatever you have to to keep her there! Bye bye!” Fozzie hung up and turned to Kermit “I’ll drive them back to the boarding house Kermit.”

“You got the keys?”

“Uh-huh. Still got them from when I parked the bus for Doctor Teeth.” Said Fozzie.

“Well, what are we hanging around here for? Let’s go!” Floyd shouted and he, Janice and Fozzie hurried out of the hospital.

“Drive carefully!” called Kermit as he watched them leave. “And bring Leah back!”

Doctor Teeth followed the doctor through the emergency ward and to an area where there were a number of separate small examination rooms. Finally pausing outside one the doctor disappeared behind the curtain on the door for a moment then pushed it back allowing Doctor Teeth to come in. Doctor Teeth approached the bed Zoot was lying in nervously. There was a heavy bandage covering the left side of Zoot’s face and his other eye was closed. The doctor saw Doctor Teeth’s hesitation and smiled. “The bandage is only there to help protect his eye from the light. I’ve leave you both for now.” With that the doctor left and Doctor Teeth picked up Zoot’s hand.

“Hey Zoot,” he questioned quietly, “You with us Saxobeat?”

Zoot opened his right eye and focussed it on Doctor Teeth. “Yeah, I think so.” He sighed then asked. “Leah?”

“Oh she’s fine!” Doctor Teeth quickly reassured him, hoping it was the truth.

“Good.” whispered Zoot. There was a knock on the door frame and Doctor Teeth looked up to see the doctor again.

“We’re ready to take Mr Sims to surgery now.”

Zoot clutched Doctor Teeth’s hand tightly. “Stay with me?” he pleaded.

Doctor Teeth smiled and reached out to stroke Zoot’s head. “Course I will man! I’ll stay until you’re asleep and will be here when you wake up.” Zoot gave a small nod and closed his right eye again. Doctor Teeth smiled. He had always felt a strong protective impulse towards Zoot more than the rest of the Electric Mayhem, probably stemming from the fact that when he first met Zoot the sax player was homeless and Doctor Teeth insisted he move in with him as soon as he found out.

An orderly came into the room, accompanied by a nurse who was carrying a medical chart, and started pushing the bed Zoot was in out of the emergency ward to the elevator which would take them to theater. Doctor Teeth walked alongside the bed still holding Zoot’s hand. The orderly pushed the bed into the elevator and the group rode up to the level the operating theater was on. The elevator arrived and as the doors opened Doctor Teeth heard Zoot say something.

“What’d you say man?” asked Doctor Teeth.

“She’s a singer you know.” murmured Zoot.

“Who’s a singer?” queried Doctor Teeth, thinking Zoot was talking about Janice.

“Leah.” answered Zoot, opening his eye again.

“Leah?”

“Yeah man.” Zoot shut his eye.

Doctor Teeth smiled at the nurse. “It’s the anesthetic talking!” he said nervously.

The nurse smiled back at Doctor Teeth. “He hasn’t had it yet!” she said.

“Oh. OH!” Doctor Teeth exclaimed as his brain finally computed what the nurse said. Doctor Teeth was completely lost in thought he did not hear what the nurse said the first time. “Hmm? I’m sorry ma’am, what did you say?”

“I said you have to leave your fried now.” She said with another smile.

Doctor Teeth looked up and realised they were standing outside the operating room. “Oh, of course.” Bending down close to Zoot he whispered “See you soon man!” and patted his shoulder. Zoot raised his hand slightly to wave and then the orderly pushed the bed through the doors which immediately shut behind him.

Doctor Teeth sighed again then decided he had better head down, join the rest of the group and fill them . Walking along he thought about Zoot’s surprising revelation. ‘Leah’s never mentioned singing before! How did Zoot find out?’ he wondered ‘Oh well, I guess we’ll all find out when he wakes up.”

Kristine73

Reaction score
Finally an update - sorry for the delay!

Chapter 6.

Miss Piggy sat in the kitchen of the boarding house with this month’s French ‘Vouge’ opened in front of her. Examining all the photographs critically, Miss Piggy shook her head and shut the magazine in disgust. Things had certainly gone downhill since she left her job as the plus size editor! ‘Perhaps I could persuade Kermie to take moi to Paris and while there we could make an unscheduled stop…..’

Deciding the time was right for a piece of chocolate cake Miss Piggy stood up and made her way to the pantry, glancing in the direction of the living room. She could make out Annie-Sue’s voice on the telephone but not what was being said. Then Miss Piggy heard flying footsteps coming towards the kitchen and the kitchen door flew open.

“Annabel!” exclaimed Miss Piggy, as Annie-Sue stumbled into the room. “You must show some decorum once in a while.”

“Oh Miss Piggy! It’s terrible!” cried Annabel.

“What is terrible Annabel dear?” asked Miss Piggy in a patronizing tone.

“Leah! She’s running away!”

“Leah?” asked Miss Piggy, “Oh yes, the little snippet the Electric Mayhem took in.”

“Yes!” replied Annie-Sue, becoming more hysterical. “Miss Piggy, she’s wants to leave because her ex beat up Zoot! He’s in hospital! Mr Kermit is there and…..”

At the mention of ‘Mr Kermit’ Miss Piggy suddenly went over to Annie-Sue and grabbed her. “Annabel! Take a deep breath!” she ordered, nodding as Annie-Sue complied. “Now begin at the beginning. What on earth has happened today?”

As Annie-Sue began recounting the day’s events to her, Miss Piggy frowned. While she had absolutely nothing to do with Zoot, the thought of him being assaulted seriously enough to end up in hospital did upset Miss Piggy, although you’d be excused for thinking it didn’t. Also, the few times she had met Leah Miss Piggy had to admit she seemed very pleasant and had taken great care of all her costumes, something which pleased the diva highly. Miss Piggy looked over at Annie-Sue, who had started cry, and shook her head.

“Alright Annabel, that will do. Settle yourself down.” she said, shaking her head impatiently as Annie-Sue wiped her eyes with a handkerchief. ‘This is worse than when she was too scared to do that stupid melodrama and moi ended up tied to the railway tracks!’ Miss Piggy thought furiously. “Now where is Leah at the moment?” Miss Piggy asked.

“In our room!” answered Annie-Sue. When Annie-Sue arrived home from England, Leah had offered to move out. However Annie-Sue had insisted she remain and the pair had become quite good friends. “Fozzie is bringing Janice and Floyd here to get her!”

“Very well,” said Miss Piggy, “I will go and speak to her. You remain down here until Janice arrives.” Annie-Sue nodded her agreement and Miss Piggy headed upstairs.

Entering the bedroom Miss Piggy observed Leah shoving her belongings into a bag. Miss Piggy smiled and called from the doorway, “Going on a little trip Leah?”

Leah, startled by Miss Piggy’s voice, looked up. Still smiling Miss Piggy asked sweetly. “You were going to say goodbye, weren’t you dear?” When Leah didn’t answer but continued with her frenzied packing Miss Piggy decided to go right for the jugular.

“No goodbyes? Oh dear, Zoot will be most disappointed.”

Leah stopped her packing. She stood up straight and looked at Miss Piggy for a moment before sinking slowly to the floor. Leah leaned up against the wall, hugged her knees to her and started crying. Miss Piggy shook her head as she approached Leah. Placing her hand on Leah’s shoulder Miss Piggy said gently, “Now, now Leah, you need to calm down. Pop back up on the bed and we will have a nice talk about all that’s happened.”

Leah looked up at Miss Piggy, surprised by her gentleness. Miss Piggy smiled down at Leah and extended her hand to Leah who took it and helped her stand up again. She walked back over to her bed and sat down as Miss Piggy took the bag she was packing off it to make room for herself.

“There, much better.” said Miss Piggy sitting next to Leah and taking her hand in hers. “Now Leah dear, I happen to know what occurred this afternoon.” Leah looked away from Miss Piggy who continued, “What I don’t understand is why you are wanting to leave?”

“I have to.” whispered Leah without looking at Miss Piggy.

“Why Leah?”

“It’s my fault.”

“Your fault?” asked Miss Piggy, frowning suspiciously. “Are you trying to say that you told your ex where you were so Zoot could be bashed?

“Oh no! Nothing like that!” exclaimed Leah, horrified.

“Well then I am more than a little confused as to how in the world you came to that conclusion!” stated Miss Piggy.

“I didn’t tell them I wanted to sing!” Leah cried out. Miss Piggy reached out and drew Leah’s head to her shoulder. Patting her back Miss Piggy listened patiently as Leah poured out the story of how she came to California after her parents died fueled by her desire to become a professional singer, how she kept the fact from the Electric Mayhem and finally how Corey accused her of sleeping with Zoot to get what she dreamed of.

“You know Leah, a little secret ambition never hurt anyone.” said Miss Piggy kindly.

“But I should have said something.” said Leah miserably. “Now the band is going to think I used them.”

“No, I don’t think we are!” exclaimed Floyd Pepper.

Leah’s head shot up from Miss Piggy’s shoulder. Looking behind her she saw Floyd, Janice, Fozzie and Annie-Sue standing in the doorway, who had heard the whole story. Janice broke away from the group and ran into the bedroom. Reaching Leah, Janice pulled her into her arms.

“Leah! Like we’ve been so worried about you!” she cried.

Wrapped in Janice’s arms Leah began to sob again. Janice tightened her embrace as Miss Piggy smiled and got up of the bed. “Excusez-moi.” She murmured as she made to the door. When she reached the door Floyd reached out and took her arm.

“Thanks Piggy, we all appreciate what you’ve just done.” Said Floyd sincerely. Miss Piggy nodded and smiled at Floyd then beckoned Annie-Sue to come downstairs with her. Floyd watched them head off and turned to Fozzie.

“Never thought Miss Fat-Back had it in her!” he whispered.

“What Floyd?” asked Fozzie.

“Kindness.” said Floyd bluntly. “Genuine kindness and not just for greenstuff’s benefit!”

Fozzie shrugged. “Perhaps it’s because she knows what it’s like to be in Leah’s position. You know, having a partner who abuses you.”

Floyd stared at Fozzie in disbelief. “Really? That’s news to me! How do you know?”

“I heard her admit to Camilla at the time of the Bogen County Beauty Contest she had just left her boyfriend. Apparently he was a swine in every sense of the word. He used to tell her she was fat, ugly, talentless. Plus he hit her.” explained Fozzie. ”In fact, I clearly remember Piggy telling Camilla she was wildly jealous of her for having a boyfriend like Gonzo! Someone who obviously worshiped the ground Camilla walks on and would buy a bunch of balloons just to make her happy.” Fozzie chuckled and shook his head before looking at Floyd. “I better go and phone Kermit to let him know we have Leah and are coming back to the hospital.”

“No problem Foz.” Said Floyd as Fozzie went downstairs to the living room. Floyd looked over to where Janice was still hugging Leah close to her and made his way over. Crouching down in front of them Floyd smiled and asked “How’s our girl?”

“Oh I think she’s okay now.” Said Janice kindly and kissing the top of Leah’s head. Leah kept looking at the ground, unable to meet either Floyd or Janice’s eyes. Janice noticed this and gently stroked Leah’s cheek.

“Leah? Like you know we don’t blame you for this.” She said concernedly.

“That’s right! Neither does Zoot.” agreed Floyd, pulling his phone out of his pocket. “In fact I have a text right here from the good doctor saying how Zoot has been asking for you!”

Floyd handed the phone to Leah who took it. On the display there was a message from Doctor Teeth saying “Zoot gone in for operation. Will be a few hours. Was asking after Leah – is she OK?” Leah read the message and gave a small smile. “I still should have mentioned…..” she began when Janice jumped in.

“Leah if we thought that you were trying to take advantage of us, do you like think we would have let you stay for 5 minutes, let alone 5 weeks?” she asked seriously.

Leah shook her head. “No.”

“Beside the Pork Princess can sniff out someone trying to scam Kermit a mile away!” exclaimed Floyd. “If she thought you were doing that, she would have had you out on your ear in 5 seconds! So no more of this blaming yourself Leah. It was entirely Corey’s fault what happened today and he had better say his prayers if he every crosses my path!

Leah didn’t answer, only giving a small laugh. Janice smiled down at her. “Alright. That’s much better. Now that it is like all cleared up we better get back to the hospital.” All three stood up and Janice looped her arms through Leah’s as the group made their way downstairs to meet Fozzie, who looked up as they approached.

“Ready to go?” he asked, smiling at Leah.

“Yeah, we’re ready Foz.” Answered Floyd.

Fozzie nodded and headed back out to the Electric Mayhem’s bus. Unlocking the doors Floyd, Janice and Leah boarded the bus and Fozzie took his place in the driver’s seat. Starting the engine, Fozzie backed the bus out onto the road and headed back to the hospital, as Miss Piggy and Annie-Sue waved them off. On arriving at the hospital Fozzie dropped Floyd, Janice and Leah off at the front door where Kermit, Scooter and Rowlf were waiting. Kermit hurried up to Leah and took her hand.

“Oh Leah, are you alright?” he asked anxiously. Leah smiled back at him “Yes thank you Kermit.”

“Excellent.” He sighed happily. Turning to Floyd Kermit said, “Scooter, Rowlf and I are headed back to the theater. We’re going to collect Robin and then go home. Do you want us to drop Animal back here or take him home with us?”

“I think you better drop him off here so I can keep an eye on him Kermit.” said Floyd. “I shudder to think what rings he has run around Gonzo!”

A visual of the Muppet Theater completely destroyed flashed across Kermit’s mind at Floyd’s words. “I’ll send him you right away!” exclaimed Kermit anxiously and boarded the bus followed by Rowlf and Scooter. Floyd waved as Fozzie drove away and turned back to Janice and Leah before heading into the hospital and making their way to the waiting room outside the operating theater.

Doctor Teeth, Lips and Dolores were sitting on a lounge outside the operating room doors chatting amongst themselves. When the elevator doors opened Doctor Teeth looked up. Spotting Leah he gasped and raced over to her, wrapping his arms around her before she even got out of the carriage. “Leah! Where have you been!?! Oh, you naughty, naughty girl!” he exclaimed before planting a huge kiss on her cheek.

Leah gave Doctor Teeth a small smile before asking nervously “Is Zoot going to be okay?”

“The doctor said he should be.” Doctor Teeth reassured her, kissing her again. Taking Leah by the hand Doctor Teeth led her over to where Lips and Dolores were waiting. “You remember Leah from the Italian Exchange don’t you guys?”

“We sure do!” said Lips happily as Dolores extended her hand. “Hi Leah! Come have a look at our honeymoon photos! I’ve got some great ones of Lips zip lining in the rainforest!” Lips groaned and shook his head, making his way over to Doctor Teeth and Floyd as Leah sat down and Dolores enthusiastically started a slide show on her Iphone. Janice raced over to have a look as well and Floyd shook his head.

“Now I know what I have to look forward to!” he grumbled.

Doctor Teeth laughed out loud and clapped both Floyd and Lips on the back. “Well, you have both decided to put the noose around your necks!” he exclaimed, receiving two filthy looks in return. Laughing again, Doctor Teeth pulled the pair to one side. Turning to Floyd Doctor Teeth glanced over to Leah to make sure she couldn’t hear then asked quietly, “Leah okay man?”

“I think so. She’s been blaming herself for what happened.” replied Floyd.

“That’s perfectly understandable.” said Lips.

“Did Leah mention to you anything about singing?” asked Doctor Teeth.

Floyd nodded. “As a matter of fact, Leah thinks that because she didn’t say anything to us about wanting to be a singer what happened to Zoot is her fault!” he answered.

“Oh that’s just silly!” exclaimed Lips.

“Shhh!” Doctor Teeth hushed Lips, noticing a quick curious glance from Dolores at her husband’s outburst, who then said “Zoot said something to me about Leah being a singer when he was being taken to the operating theater. Well, when the dust from this settles I’ll have a good long talk to Leah and discuss the situated with our little green buddy. I’m sure we can work something out to give Leah a shot at the big time!”

Floyd and Lips nodded their agreement to Doctor Teeth and then the men headed back over to the couch where Leah, Janice and Dolores were waiting. Leah was stretched out on the sofa and her head Janice was in Janice’s lap. Janice looked up as they approached and smiled.

“She’s asleep, poor baby. She’s like totally emotionally exhausted.” said Janice.

Leah stirred and opened her eyes. She did not recognize her surroundings and looked around. Then she spotted a red hairy face in her line of vision! It was the last thing she expected to see and shot up with a small shriek.

“HI LE-AH!” shouted Animal happily, as Floyd yanked sharply on his chain.

“Animal! Heel!” ordered Floyd.

“In control.” Said Animal solemnly, earning a rub on the head from Floyd.

“Good drummer!” said Floyd fondly, as Leah shook her head a few times to help clear the dizziness brought on by her sitting up suddenly.

“Like you alright honey?” asked Janice.

“Yeah, I think so.” Sighed Leah and then asked “How long have I been asleep?”

Janice checked her watch. “Oh like about 4 hours.” She answered with a smile at Leah’s incredulous look. “Hey, it’s alright, you needed the sleep.”

“Yeah and Animal here insisted on staying with so you’d be safe!” exclaimed Floyd as Animal nodded eagerly. “So now that you’re awake, we’d better get moving!”

“Where are we going?” asked Leah, as she and Janice got up from the sofa.

“You’ll see!” replied Floyd as he and Janice shared a smile.

The group headed back to the elevators and entered them. Floyd selected a floor button and they traveled down a number of floors before the doors opened again. As they exited Leah noticed it was not the main entry level where the emergency department was but a part of the hospital with a number of patient rooms. Leah froze, suddenly knowing exactly where they were going and who they were going to see. Janice and Floyd turned back to her smiled, both realizing what the matter was.

“Come on Leah!” said Floyd taking her left hand.

“I can’t!” Leah whispered in an anguished tone.

“Yes you can!” said Janice gently, taking Leah’s right hand.

Hand in hand Leah, Janice and Floyd walked down the corridor, with Floyd keeping a firm grip on Animal’s chain the whole time. Much too soon for Leah’s liking they reached a door which Janice knocked on. Doctor Teeth’s call of “Come in!” was heard on the other side and Janice pushed open the door.

“Special delivery!” she called out happily, as Zoot looked over expectantly to the door from his bed. He was propped up on the pillows and his left eye was bandaged. Spotting Leah standing in the doorway he let out a happy sigh of relief.

“Leah! You’re alright! I been so worried since they told me you left the hospital!” he exclaimed reaching out to her. Leah stood riveted to the spot as Janice placed her arms around Leah’s shoulders and gently encouraged her to go over to Zoot. Floyd and Animal slipped into the room behind them and went over to where Doctor Teeth was sitting with Lips and Dolores.

“All good?” he whispered to Doctor Teeth, indicating his own left eye.

Doctor Teeth grinned and gave a thumbs up. “All good!” he whispered happily as Floyd grinned and Animal bounced up and down excitedly, forcing Floyd to give his chain another tug. Janice came over to join the group and put her arms around Floyd as Leah slowly made her way over to Zoot’s bed, sitting down on the edge of the bed and tentatively reached out to take his hand. Zoot grabbed her hand and pulled it to him, gently kissing her fingers.

“Leah?” asked Zoot.

“Zoot…..” started Leah as she felt the tears start up again. “Zoot I’m so sorry!” she cried as pent up emotions overtook her and she began sobbing violently. Zoot immediately pulled Leah close to him and enveloped her in a hug. He shook his head while gently stroked her hair as Leah sobbed into his chest.

“Oh Leah.” sighed Zoot.

Kristine73

Reaction score
This is the final chapter - just a little romance to finish with!

Chapter 7.

Leah sat in an armchair in the hotel foyer and carefully held a clear box which held a mango and coconut cupcake, beautifully decorated with icing roses. The box was inscribed with gold calligraphy writing which read ‘Floyd & Janice XXX’. Leah smiled at the dainty object and placed it on the coffee table in front of her before sitting back in the armchair and taking in the rustic décor of the foyer of the hotel where Floyd and Janice were holding their wedding.

Just over 12 months had passed since Floyd and Janice finally got around to announcing their engagement to the rest of the Muppets. Almost immediately the pair disagreed over where they were going to have their ceremony and honeymoon. Janice had her heart set on a beach wedding in Hawaii. Floyd on the other hand wanted a Rocky Mountain wedding followed by a camping honeymoon, so he could go fishing.

“Like, you can go fishing in Hawaii!” Janice had protested.

“Yeah, well you can walk around naked next to the lake in Colorado!” was Floyd’s retort. “In fact I actively encourage you to do just that!”

Fearing their marriage was doomed before it even began, Doctor Teeth had stepped in and correctly pointed out that it would be far easier for all the Muppets to get to Colorado by road then it would be to fly to Hawaii, especially considering how hard it was to restrain Animal for any length of time, let alone 5 hours in an airplane! The coupled agreed Doctor Teeth was absolutely right, so they compromised by having the wedding ceremony in the Rockies to be followed by a month long honeymoon in Kauai at a secluded beach Janice’s granny had taken her as a little girl.

After that first hiccup, all other arrangements fell into place. Kermit was going to officiate the ceremony, Doctor Teeth was walking Janice down the aisle, Floyd was having Zoot and Lips as his groomsmen, Dolores was Janice’s matron of honour and to Leah’s great surprise Janice had asked her to be her other bridesmaid.

The weather had turned on a glorious autumn day which was just perfect for Floyd and Janice to get married outside next to the lake, whose banks the hotel was built on. And Janice was at her most beautiful, dressed in a gown Hilda had excelled herself in creating. It was a slim fitting yet flowing ivory creation, with long sleeves made of lace. Instead of a veil Janice wore a crown of ivory roses around her head, which were identical to the roses in her bouquet and the buttonhole Floyd wore in his grey suit. Glancing over to the doorway, which leads out to the courtyard, Leah smiled at the sight of Floyd and Janice standing outside wrapped in each other’s arms and totally oblivious to everything except each other.

For Leah personally, the year had proved equally momentous. Doctor Teeth kept his promise spoke to Kermit about the Electric Mayhem’s discovery of Leah being a singer, something Kermit had already found out through Miss Piggy. After listening to Leah sing, Kermit and the Electric Mayhem were extremely impressed. Janice herself had said she knew that she simply didn’t have the vocal capacity to cover something by Adele and having someone like Leah who clearly could – it would only be an advantage to the band. So, to Leah’s delight it was agreed by everyone that Leah would make her professional debut after 12 months of working on her singing and performance.

With all the good that had happened to her, Leah often found herself wondering if it was all going to be snatched away from her. At times it was extremely hard to believe that Corey was now out of her life. Having been found guilty for his assault on Zoot Corey had been given a lengthy prison sentence and was forbidden from ever approaching Leah again. Fortunately Zoot had made a full recovery from the injuries inflicted by Corey, and that was the most important thing.

Looking up, Leah noticed Dolores coming in from outside. Dolores spotted Leah sitting in the foyer and came over to join her. She flopped down in an armchair on the other side of the coffee table and letting out a sigh of relief. “Finally! The official bridesmaid duties are over for us now that we have handed out the cupcakes! Now Lips and I can get on with our last chance at partying! ” exclaimed Dolores, reaching down to gently caress her pregnant stomach . “I mean, after baby is born we’ll being doing exactly what SHE wants 24/7!” Sighing again, Dolores said “I am so glad to see they have been blessed with a perfect day. When Lips and I got married it poured rain! Not a good look for a vineyard wedding!”

Leah smiled as Dolores giggled, pushed herself up out of her chair and held out her hand to Leah. “Come on Leah, let’s go get the dancing started!” Noticing Leah looking away and making no move to join her, Dolores came around from her side of the coffee table and sat down on the end of the sofa nearest Leah. Reaching out to touch Leah’s arm Dolores asked concernedly “Leah? Are you sure everything’s alright?”

Leah smiled and gave a small nod but made no reply. Dolores smiled back and asked. “Nervous about your big debut next month?”

“Just a little bit!” Leah answered with a laugh. Kermit had decreed that Leah would perform on the Muppet Show Stage immediately after Floyd and Janice’s honeymoon. “Nonna Chiara called yesterday and told me she has just booked her seats! Hope I do okay.”

“I’m sure you will.” Dolores reassured her. “There is no way Kermit would put you on the show if he did not think you were ready. After all, he more or less kept Miss Piggy in the chorus the whole first season of the Muppet Show before finally giving her a chance to go solo. And now look at her! Don’t worry about it.”

Leah nodded again. There was also one other small matter playing on Leah’s mind. Looking over at Dolores, Leah said “Can I ask you a personal question?”

“Oh course you can Leah! What is it?”

“Well.....when did you know Lips was the one?”

Dolores giggled again. “Well, certainly not from the moment I first met him. It was actually hate at first site!”

Leah looked at Dolores incredulous. “Really?”

“Most definitely!” confirmed Dolores. “You see, after I played trombone on the show where Anne Murray was guest star, Nigel decided to rearrange to orchestra and have me permanently on trombone the following season, which I prefer anyway. I was all for having my then boyfriend who plays trumpet in the band with us and I brought him over for an audition. However, Zoot had invited his best friend Lips to audition for both the orchestra and the Electric Mayhem as Doctor Teeth wanted to add a trumpet to the band. Everyone, including Nigel, loved him and refused to listen to my boyfriend. So I was pretty sore at Lips!”

“That’s amazing!” said Leah in a wondrous voice. “So how on earth did you end up together?”

“Well the truth of the matter is the relationship between me and my ex was on its last legs. Looking back his not joining the orchestra was a blessing in disguise. We broke up about two episodes into the season. Gradually I started giving Lips respect as a musician. Of course, with his talent it is impossible not to. Then I started noticing the respect he had been giving me the whole time. We allowed ourselves to become friends and…..things just blossomed on from there!” explained Dolores.

Leah smiled at Dolores explanation and asked “Do you think there is such a thing as too soon?”

“Truthfully? No. When it comes to love there is no one size fits all.” Dolores replied.

Leah nodded at Dolores’ answer, and then asked “So you wouldn’t think it too soon for me to be in a relationship?”

“What does it matter what I think?” Dolores asked with a smile. “As long as you and Zoot are happy, that’s all that matters!”

Leah looked up, surprised at Dolores answer. Leah had been denying her feelings towards Zoot in the months since Corey attacked him. She told herself it was simply because Zoot was the complete opposite to Corey in personality. However the arguments were beginning to wear thin and Leah was finding herself gradually giving in to her emotions.

“Am I that obvious?” Leah asked with a small smile.

“You forget that my husband is Zoot’s best friend!” said Dolores kindly. “Of course Lips is going to notice what’s happening with Zoot’s love-life!” Noticing Leah blush and look away Dolores grinned and went on “And he knows the interest is certainly mutual.”

Leah sighed before facing Dolores again. “I’m scared of getting hurt Dolores. And I’m even more scared of hurting Zoot. He’s been so kind to me. What if I do something stupid that hurts him? He doesn’t deserve that!”

Dolores shook her head. “Nobody is perfect Leah. Lips and I sometimes unintentionally hurt each other through our disagreements and fights. However we forgive each other and that’s where love comes from. Leah, I also know from personal experience that you are always scared the new relationship will end just like the previous one did. It’s a risk but the right person makes it worthwhile.” Noticing Leah thinking hard about what she just said, Dolores smiled and stood up again, extending her hand to Leah. “Let’s go find the groomsman. We have to get this party started!” Dolores led Leah outside to the courtyard, where the sun had just started to set. Lips and Zoot were standing with Floyd and Janice. Spotting his wife, Lips hurried over and grabbed her around the waist.

“Where have you been? I’ve been forced to put up with these two going on about how wonderful the other is! I need some back up here!” he exclaimed before kissing Dolores on the cheek. Lips began leading Dolores over to the rest of the wedding party then noticed Leah hanging back. Lips smiled and extended his other hand to Leah.

“Come on Leah, it’s time to start dancing! Scooter, get the music ready!” Lips called out to Scooter, who was acting as DJ tonight. Lips lead Leah over to where Zoot was standing before he and Dolores followed Floyd and Janice excitedly make their way to the dance floor. Zoot smiled at Leah and held out his hand.

“Care to dance Leah?” he asked.

“Maybe later.” answered Leah.

Zoot looked at Leah worriedly. “Leah? Aren’t you feeling alright?”

“No, no I feel fine.” Leah reassured him. She paused for a minute then continued “Actually I feel well enough to take a walk around the lake, if you’d like to join me?”

Zoot looked at Leah surprised then smiled. “Love too.” He answered taking her hand in his. Leah smiled back and realized now her running was finally over.

Kermit was standing on the balcony overlooking the lake. He breathed in the fresh air of the Rockies and smiled. ‘No wonder John Denver absolutely loved this area! It’s almost as perfect as my swamp in Mississippi!’ Kermit sighed sadly as he thought about that great friend of the Muppets who was not here to help them celebrate today. ‘John would have been so happy for Floyd and Janice!’ he thought wistfully.

Behind him Kermit could make out the sounds of Scooter starting up the deejay equipment so the guests could begin dancing. Kermit looked back over his shoulder and noticed Floyd talking to Scooter, no doubt informing him of exactly what to play tonight. ‘I’ll wait out here a few more minutes while they get the music started, before I have to go in and have the inevitable dance with Piggy!’ Kermit thought, spotting Doctor Teeth and Rowlf wandering out onto the balcony. Kermit was about to go and join them, when something by the lake caught his eye.

“So Floyd has finally married Janice! I honestly can’t believe it!” exclaimed Doctor Teeth.

“Ever worry that the right person is not out there?” asked Rowlf.

“Never!” stated Doctor Teeth, making his way over to join Kermit. “Way too smart to get caught! In fact I think I’ll start a Bachelors club when we get back to LA with Zoot and myself as charter members!”

“Um, before you ask Zoot to join Doctor Teeth, I suggest you take a look at that down there!” said Kermit with a smile, indicating the lake with his flipper.

Doctor Teeth looked out and his eyes grew wide as he spotted Zoot walking along with his arm around Leah’s waist and her head on Zoot’s shoulder. Doctor Teeth chuckled and shook his head.

“Oh great, another one bites the dust! Looks like we’ll have to clear our schedule for autumn next year too!”

“Well, I must say I am very pleased for the pair of them.” said Kermit happily.

“And did you know, that a survey says that many people meet their new spouses at weddings?” asked Rowlf, before leaning on the balcony railing and sighing dreamily.

“I just love a happy ending!” :sympathy:

THE END