Muppet Christmas Carol running time

anathema

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is more than one cut of the movie? The UK DVD release has just been announced, and after checking into it, the various online retailers all list it as running to about 85 minutes, but the BBFC have it down as about 82 minutes.

Some more digging led to the following results:

Cinema release - 85 minutes (according to the IMDB)
US laserdisc/DVD release - 89 minutes
UK VHS release - 85 minutes*

If the IMDB listing is correct, this suggests that around four minutes were added to the movie for it's original home video releases. If the IMDB is wrong, this suggests that the version the BBFC saw was cut.

Anyone?

Regards,
Alex

* Since movies run 4% fast on UK video, an 89 minute movie will shrink to 85 minutes, and an 85 minute one to 82 minutes.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex,

It could be a simple difference in the way time is calculated. Or it could be a significant edit.

The version that I saw (at multiple cities) here in the states in the theaters did not include Belle's song "When Love Is Gone". The first time I had seen this was in Disney's video release a year later. I don't know if that accounts for the difference, but it's a possibility.

anathema

Reaction score
The version that I saw (at multiple cities) here in the states in the theaters did not include Belle's song "When Love Is Gone". The first time I had seen this was in Disney's video release a year later. I don't know if that accounts for the difference, but it's a possibility.

Ker-ching! Thanks - I *thought* I'd read something about that recently. That would explain the 3-4 minute difference. Now, the question that remains is, which version did Disney submit to the BBFC...? My guess would be that they sent the theatrical print in by mistake :smile:

Thanks!

Alex