Muppet Christmas Carol makes E list

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Last night on the E! show rank they had a top 20 list of the all-time best Christmas movies. Muppet Chrismas Carol made it on the list at #15! They even had a really short interview clip of Gonzo (with Piggy and Kermit) saying "It's one of our favorites too" or something to that effect. The cast of Scrubs also talked about working with Miss Piggy, though they didn't mention it was for Very Merry Muppet Xmas. #15 may not sound high enough, it actually beat out Charlie Brown!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this with us. Great find!

While Christmas Carol is drasticly different than the other Muppet films (emphasizes the sacred over the silly), it's one of my favorites. The company put their heart and soul into the film. It only gets better over time in my opinion. Just wish we had it in widescreen.

In 1998 TV Guide ranked Muppet Christmas Carol as one of the ten best Christmas movies of all time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Personally, MCC wasn't one of my favorite Muppet Movies (for reasons Phillip has mentioned), and I thought MTI had more of the old Muppet Spirit! Maily, the more popular characters (Like Piggy Kermit and Gonzo) had smaller roles than in the other movies, and others (Fozzie [who is main], THe Electric Mayheim, and such) had brief cameos and bit parts. Oddly enough, it was one of the two biggest roles that Sam the Eagle played (MTI being the biggest), since Sam just appeared and said like two lines in TMM, GMC, Possibly MTM, and MFS.

But still, MCC is great, and it is one of my fave Christmas Flicks (also included are The Nightmare before Christmas and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Charol!)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Personally, MCC wasn't one of my favorite Muppet Movies (for reasons Phillip has mentioned), and I thought MTI had more of the old Muppet Spirit! Maily, the more popular characters (Like Piggy Kermit and Gonzo) had smaller roles than in the other movies, and others (Fozzie [who is main], THe Electric Mayheim, and such) had brief cameos and bit parts. Oddly enough, it was one of the two biggest roles that Sam the Eagle played (MTI being the biggest), since Sam just appeared and said like two lines in TMM, GMC, Possibly MTM, and MFS.
I have to agree with you there. I felt MCC was okay, just a bit weaker then most Muppet movies.

Salmoto

Reaction score
But as a christmas movie, MCC was awesome. It was a faithful adaptation of the book (It even had non-spoken lines tossed in) and it was very well put together and beautiful. I woula cried during certain scenes if Gonzo and Rizzo weren't there to oh-so-subtly break the tension.

To me it's the second best intereperetation of the original book, the first being UPA's "Magoo's Christmas Carol."

pezbalubah

Reaction score
I also think it's one of the best adaptations of the story. I like the music from it alot. Paul Williams is the best composer for the Muppets, they need to work with him more. Maybe it's because I like Frank Oz's directing, but MCC may be (at the moment) my second favorite Muppet movie behind MTM. When it first came out, it was amazing for me to see the Muppets come back after Jim Henson died, to me the movie embodied his spirit.

Gonzo

Reaction score
MCC was one of my least favorite as well, but that may be because I've seen SO MANY friggin versions of A Christmas Carol that I'm sick to death of the whole thing.

That said, it's growing on me more and more each year, and there are a few parts where I get all sniffly each time I see it.

I won't tell you which ones. I've gotta pick it up on @#$%@$% fullscreen DVD.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn