Muppet Christmas Carol DVD

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
I don't quite remember what the latest news was on the old forum about the DVD, but it was announced today that "Muppet Christmas Carol" will be full-frame only and (most likely) will include the trailer. :frown:

I have already fired off a letter to Disney's home video department asking them to reconsider. If anyone would like to do so as well, you can write to:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
350 S. Buena Vista St.
Burbank, CA 91521

I don't put a lot of faith in that suspiciously simple address on the back of Disney packages, so I have a feeling the above will get it to the right people much more easily.

Stulz

Reaction score
Muppet X-Mas Carol full screen?

When will companys realize that Full screen is just a cop out!!

DVD's were made for Movie people... if your a full screen person a VHS should be more your speed anyway.

Where did you get this info??
Amazon's site doesn't mention any of the specs. yet.

Thanks,
Chris

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Do you know for a fact this is true? I have emailed the company at: http://video.go.com/support/home.html

I hope others will do the same. I will not buy this film full frame on DVD. I can no longer support such a lazy practice.

Stulz

Reaction score
Muppet X-Mas DVD

yeah .. i feel cheated if a film isn't in the aspect ratio it's meant to be in.

That's why i haven't bought Follow That bird on DVD yet.. I'll wait and save my $$ for a real version... not some slopped together cheapo DVD.

We really need to get one of those online petions started for these widescreen dvd's.. it Worked for Batman Beyond : Return of teh Joker and for Willy Wonka

Chris

Raech

Reaction score
Ok I do not want this movie in P&S. I hate Disney Sometimes. Almost as much a s Blockbuster & Hollywood video who said on rentals if a movie is sold as two seperates (P&S & WS) they would only buy the P&S (AKA Full Frame) for rental. Dumb dumb dumb.

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
I read about it on the dvdfile.com web site, which is one of the few DVD sites I trust with reporting correct specs and stuff.

It was in a huge glut of a list of other Disney DVD releases for September 3rd, and the site noted the fact that Christmas Carol was the only one in the batch being released in full-frame.

But we still have time to see if we can change this, so be sure to let Disney know you won't buy it in full-frame.

scarecroe

Reaction score
It doesn't look good folks. The Digital Bits ran an interview today with the Senior Vice President of Worldwide DVD Production and Technical Operations for Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Chris Carey. They discussed, in detail, the demographic appeal and technical applications that go into releasing their titles widescreen vs. pan&scaM. Next week they're running another with an idividual from BVHE's marketing department to cover that angle.

Click here for the full article

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Scott

Well that Chris Carey is simply an idiot. I know, I know - namecalling, but you've got to admit he's out of touch with the Muppet consumer. We have waited forever for these releases and it's terrible that they're only intending it for children. Maybe writing Henson could help, but I asked the article's writer to provide us with a good address to flood our emails with so watch out for it.

DrGoshposh

Reaction score
This is a general DVD question:

When played on an HDTV (where the screen is 16:9), does a widescreen DVD automatically fill the entire screen? Also, on the HDTV, does a full screen DVD occupy only the middle of the screen (with black bars appearing on either side of the picture)?

I'm just wondering if DVDs are all compatible with new technology, or if we'll have to re-purchase all the DVDs we own when everything switches to digital. I assume all will be compatible, but I never have heard for sure.

Just wondering,

Scott

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Only anamorphic DVDs are capable of adjusting to fit a widescreen television. The other 4 Muppet Movie DVDs have this feature. As for the bars on the sides of a full frame format - you are correct. The image is in the center and (gray) bars appear on either side.