Muppet Babies started a trend

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I really believe that this show started a trend, because soon afterwards we started seeing shows like The Flinstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby Doo which had establised cartoon characters as children. This may also have led to Rugrats All Growed Up which took the reverse approach.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I never thought of it that way before, but you're right. I remember the Flinstone kids cartoon. It really wasn't that good! There is also a Baby Bugs Bunny cartoon on Cartoon Network in the mornings right now. I guess Muppet Babies did start a trend!

AbbessBryony

Reaction score
I also remember the Flintstone Kids, and I agree about it not being that good.

Don't forget Tom and Jerry Kids [T&J when they were younger]. It was a ok cartoon, but I really don't like it now.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Muppet Babies is really the Cadilac of 'stars to babies' show.
Flintstone Kid's was good for the time period I thought, Tom and Jerry's Kids was okay but poorly animated, A Pup Named Scooby Doo was cool in the sense that Fred and Daffney had much more well rounded personalities and those dance segments were hysterical, but those Looney Tunes Babies suck oh so very hard. So I guess when you look at those shows verses Muppet Babies, I hafta' agree although I never noticed: MB set the standard and started the trend!

McFraggle

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Muppet Babies is really the Cadilac of 'stars to babies' show.
I agree, and "Muppet Babies" was really the only one of those shows that lasted for a prolonged period of time. :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Muppet Babies ran for EIGHT seasons. Outside of Sesame Street, nothing else has come close. Even The Muppet Show only ran for five seasons.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Muppet Babies definitely started a trend. I totally loved The Flinstone Kids!!! (They had the great Captain Caveman and Son segments!!!) I also loved Tom and Jerry Kids, which was hysterical. The Droopy segments were always great too. And A Pup Named Scooby Doo rules!!! That is incredibly funny and I loved the dance segments, the music, and Scooby not getting Shaggy's jokes. There's still lines I quote from the show today and my brother and I laugh at it.

"Why do you keep calling me 'Raggy'"? - Shaggy to Scooby, after losing his memory and thinking he's Commander Cool

Nowadays, there's also Baby Looney Tunes, which even I'll admit is just kind of okay, but not quite as good as the adult counterparts. You could even count X-Men Evolution as another cartoon inspired by Muppet Babies. Because the whole thing of the X-Men growing up together at Professor X's School for the Gifted just didn't happen in the comics. As far as I know, they were already adults when they were recruited. True, some teenagers like Kitty Pryde were there and that would be okay. But even though there are some issues like that, I still like the series because it really works.

I'm sure there's even more examples I'm forgetting. Like "Young Hercules", the live action Fox Kids version of Kevin Sorbo's "Hercules". Or "The New Archies"- the great late 80s cartoon that had all the Archie Comics gang as middle schoolers. Archie, Jughead, Reggie, Betty, Veronica, Mr. Lodge, Mr. Weatherbee, Ms. Grundy, Moose and Hot Dog were all there. For some reason, Dilton and Chuck Clayton weren't. However, there was a black boy who was smart like Dilton called Eugene that was on the show whose girlfriend was Nancy. So they more or less combined Chuck and Dilton to create Eugene. (Bascially, have the token black character there. But he did have an important role on the series and was one of the gang, so he wasn't totally a "token black character". Anyway...)

Of course, I can't forget one of my favorite series based on one of my favorite movies. "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" gave us the adventures of Indiana Jones as a kid, teenager, and young adult. (Not to mention a 93 year old grandfather!) Very cool show.

Believe me, I'm sure there's other examples too. :smile: The list goes on. :sleep:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
Of course, I can't forget one of my favorite series based on one of my favorite movies. "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" gave us the adventures of Indiana Jones as a kid, teenager, and young adult. (Not to mention a 93 year old grandfather!) Very cool show.
I don't know if I'd count the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles as an inspired spin from the MB, but I'll agree, that show was great, really great... I was just always disapointed River Phoenix was gone because if he played the teen Indy, it would have been so perfect. And I also loved the episode where Harrison Ford guest starred and played the saxaphone.

Beauregard

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
You could even count X-Men Evolution as another cartoon inspired by Muppet Babies. Because the whole thing of the X-Men growing up together at Professor X's School for the Gifted just didn't happen in the comics. As far as I know, they were already adults when they were recruited. True, some teenagers like Kitty Pryde were there and that would be okay. But even though there are some issues like that, I still like the series because it really works.
I havn't seen X-men evelotion, but I do know that certainly Jean Grey was there as a child, in the 'hint' school for the gifted.

__

Interprited:

Do I have to do this on every post now? It gets very boring...

lowercasegods

Reaction score
Disney Babies was one of the first to jump on the bandwagon back in the late 80s. And there was another cartoon show in the late 80s with the old Hanna Barbera characters as kids (something like "Yogi Bear Bunch"). And don't forget the semi-recent wave of Sesame Street babies (which have actually been around for a few years).