Muppet Babies: Puppets vs. Cartoon

Which do you like better? (tell why in the thread)

• Muppet Babies from TMTM (Puppet Versions)

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Muppet Babies Cartoon Versions

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I know, it was really smart actually :smile: A good afternoon cartoon :smile:
Ironically, we always complain that people think we're immature for liking the Muppets. But then we turn right around and criticize fans of Muppet Babies for the same reason!

Redsonga

Reaction score
Ironically, we always complain that people think we're immature for liking the Muppets. But then we turn right around criticize fans of Muppet Babies for the same reason!
I am a fan, I would never make fun of anyone :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I don't always agree with fans regarding the newer Muppet stuff. But I wouldn't try and make them feel bad. :smile:

Not that anyone in here is, hehe, I just don't agree with all the MB bashing.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah I mean I don't always agree with fans regarding the newer Muppet stuff. But I wouldn't try and make them feel bad. :smile:

Not that anyone in here is, hehe, I just don't agree with all the MB bashing.
Well, I just ordered a VHS with my favorite episode 'Good clean fun' on it from amazon :flirt:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah but liking Muppet Babies didn't stop me from liking other Muppet things. And some people talk about the show like it was Barney or something. It was FAR from that. :wink:

I mean more people complain about Muppet Babies than Elmo's World. Like it's OK to enjoy Elmo's World, but if you like Muppet Babies, you're not a real Muppets fan. Personally, that makes no sense to me. :wink:
The writing and style don't bother me as much as the poor quality of the character animation and irritating voice work. I'm not bashing it (as was stated in a later post). Taste doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition (though it does appear to happen a lot). The program also had many catchy songs and I don't think that receives enough praise. :smile:

I do think it's sad (not that people like the program or that it was made) that it was nearly the only Muppety thing accessible for a particular generation. The idea that the Muppet Babies is more highly regarded by many people of that generation than the classic Muppets and Muppet puppetry isn't ideal in my wide Henson loving opinion. But nobody should be faulted for simply liking what they like.

I haven't made the claim that any particular person wasn’t a real fan for any reason. I am fortunate to have the childhood memory of seeing The Muppet Movie in the theaters at age five. I do believe that would have painted a different perception of the Muppets for any generation. It really is the Muppets at their finest. That initial introduction was the Muppet Babies to many people and that led them to other Muppety goodness and it helped continue brand exposure (as mentioned before).

Personally the inconsistencies of the Babies’ animation and the unfortunately squeaky voices make me cringe too much to watch long enough to enjoy other aspects of the program. I wish Little Muppet Monsters had worked out. The animated portions were the same quality, but at least there were puppets! I love Tug!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Im not bashing MB i love the show i think bean bunny would have to be my favorit bunny though.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do think it's sad (not that people like the program or that it was made) that it was nearly the only Muppety thing accessible for a particular generation.
But that's the thing, that's not the way it was. There was Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and all three Muppet movies were available, the Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller (which I did watch hehe) as well as several specials. There wasn't a shortage. The Muppets were everywhere in the '80s/early '90s and I watched it all. And I was not an anomaly. :wink:

Being a MB fan did not turn me off to the regular Muppets and to be honest I never met anyone else who thought that way. I'm sure some people did, but I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
But that's the thing, that's not the way it was. There was Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and all three Muppet movies were available, the Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller (which I did watch hehe) as well as several specials. There wasn't a shortage. The Muppets were everywhere in the '80s/early '90s and I watched it all. And I was not an anomaly. :wink:

Being a MB fan did not turn me off to the regular Muppets and to be honest I never met anyone else who thought that way. I'm sure some people did, but I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion. :smile:
You were lucky to have cable and parents with money then :wink:
I never saw Storyteller until last year and FR until I was 12 in '95 :stick_out_tongue:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, we didn't have HBO until much later. I only saw Fraggle Rock through the Disney Channel. And I probably saw more of the cartoon series than the live show (which shocks me now lol). Comparing them now, I prefer the live show, though the cartoon was still cute. Just not quite as ambitious.

And actually The Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller was on network TV, NBC I believe. It just wasn't on for very long; only a couple months.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But that's the thing, that's not the way it was. There was Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock and all three Muppet movies were available, the Jim Henson Hour/Storyteller (which I did watch hehe) as well as several specials. There wasn't a shortage. The Muppets were everywhere in the '80s and I watched it all. And I was not an anomaly.

Being a MB fan did not turn me off to the regular Muppets and to be honest I never met anyone else who thought that way. I'm sure some people did, but I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion.
For a particular generation - one that I have continually been referring to- it was the only current project on the air (even in syndication and taking Sesame out of the equation of course). I'm speaking more of the -->late 80s-early 90s<-- not early-to-mid 80s as you have stated. :rolleyes:

I haven't stated that project has turned anyone off to anything. However, generationally speaking again, there are many people who weren't exposed to Muppet puppetry (via Muppet Show characters) enough to have latched on. I don't get why you keep quoting my posts with rebuttals to ideas I haven't implied? :confused: