MSNBC: Old School Sesame DVD's not for kids

beaker

Reaction score
I thought this article today on MSNBC.com was pretty funny:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15105377/

It's about the old school Sesame release. Ive only seen the first episode from 1969 awhile back, and thought it was great.

The article at first confused me, as I thought "what could he mean from the title". I mean, Land of Gorch, soooo not for kids or even teens. But Sesame?
In the Dutch Sesame Street there was full frontal adult nudity during bathing
short segments which definately wouldnt fly today, but aside from the over politically correct "cookie now has to eat healthy stuff" thing I am not sure what he means.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
There maybe differences on the old SS but I don't think it's nessecary to warn parents who most lily watched the original SS years ago. Think the SW is being who silly and overprotective and need not worry about this and leave this up to the parents.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
There maybe differences on the old SS but I don't think it's nessecary to warn parents who most lily watched the original SS years ago. Think the SW is being who silly and overprotective and need not worry about this and leave this up to the parents.
Don't know how I managed to miss my misspellings. Meant to say to too overprotective and not who overprotective.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's interesting that it mentions Roscoe Orman appearing on Sex and the City. I have read soemwhere that said that the contracts for human cast members only restricts them from appearing on-screen in live action kids shows, out of fear that kids would be confused by them having different names and personalities. Also, Roscoe Orman played an abusive pimp on a soap opera at the same time that he started playign Gordon, and eventually chose to just play Gordon.

I have noticed that Old School and The World Accordign to Sesame Street, the two recent DVDs aimed at adults, seem to be having trouble being sold in retail stores. I searched every store in town that would sell them, and I only found one copy of Old School at Suncoast, and I only found The World According to Sesame Street at both local Targets, and it seems to be the same way with other users (though some have mentioned finding Old School in other stores as well).

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think I see what they mean, by 'Not for Kids.' In recent years, they do tend to reach out to younger kids. (Ex. Someone not knowing what a 'button' was, Elmo not knowing how to use the phone) There was more adult humor in the earlier years. I'll take a look at that article and see what more I can say about the subject.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Come on...this is sesame street we're talking about...not for kids? huh?

Erine81981

Reaction score
It's silly I think. I've shown my nieces few old episodes of Sesame Street from airing on Noggin. There proubley worried that kids would say where's Elmo and not having him on there.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I think I see what they mean, by 'Not for Kids.' In recent years, they do tend to reach out to younger kids. (Ex. Someone not knowing what a 'button' was, Elmo not knowing how to use the phone) There was more adult humor in the earlier years. I'll take a look at that article and see what more I can say about the subject.
Sure there might have been more adult humor back then but it's like when you whach old loonet toons and you here a bunch od pop culture refrences form back then and have no idea what therte talking about.

As far at it not being for today children, I have no Idea what to think about that.