Mr. Rogers tribute on SNL

danielromens

Reaction score
I also posted this at TP but I wanted you all to see this as well.

I don't know if anyone caught SNL this past weekend but I thought you might like to hear a bit about a very touching moment at the end. It was a repeat of the episode with Queen Latifa.
Before the last comercial break Horatio Sanz took to the monologue part of the stage wearing a very nice pair of slacks a blue botton up shirt and tie and a yellow sweater.

He then explained to the audience that he was a fan of Mister Rogers who had passed away during the week and he wanted to do a song for him. He then sat down at which point the band accompanied him in Mister Rogers anthem "You are Special." It was a highly honest and touching moment in both the shows career and especially that of Sanz. He is one of my favorites on the show and this looked to be one of his hardest moments. His voice wavered through the song and though he is not the most gifted singers he performed with great sweetness and conviction.

At the end of the song he let a soft sigh and with a nervous looking wave he softly spoke "thank you mister rogers". at that moment a small toy trolly crossed behind a visibly shaken sanz, no longer looking into the camera but watching the passing trolley. When they came back from commercial for the good byes the camera panned over and Sanz was shown wiping his nose and eyes.

both me and my roommate pat found our selves with clouded eyes by the songs end as well. a couple of midtwenties college guys weepy over a song sung for a fallen kiddie show host. the impact was beautiful. even as I type this post I'm over come with chills my eyes again moist with tears. I really hope you get the chance to see this again it was a wonderful moment and won't soon be forgotten

Daniel

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Darn, I wish I saw that part. Though I did watch the last sketch, so I may have just missed it.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If anyone finds an on-line clip or MP3 of this, let us know. I would love to hear it.

radionate

Reaction score
Mr. Rogers was often supportive of those who poked a little fun at him.

The most famous that I'm aware of is a sketch with Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show. Johnny did his best Mr. Rogers inpersonation, and explained to the audience about "making babies". It was very clean and very funny.

Fred Rogers then came up to him to tell him how funny he thought the sketch was.

Why are there no longer classy people like this on my tv? (with very few exceptions)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Why are there no longer classy people like this on my tv? (with very few exceptions)
lot of people now a days only like to make fun of people because it's the only thing they know how to do and it''s funny to them. some things comedians make fun of are funny. other times, it isn't and makes the people who are trying to get a laugh out of making fun of someone look like jerks.

ryan

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
Sponge Bob is classy....

I love Mr. Rogers.........(there is no appropriate muppet sad face)

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I also heard Fred Rogers thought Eddie Murphy's "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood" sketches from SNL were funny as well. It's cool that he was a good sport.