Mr. Rogers/Sesame Street crossovers

CookieFan

Reaction score
With Fred Rogers passing today, I wanted to reminisce about the crossover episodes. I know Fred Rogers appeared on SS and Big Bird appeared on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

I saw Big Bird in the Land of Make Believe, but I never saw the eps. w/Mr. Rogers on Sesame Street. Can anyone fill me in?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I was going to mention something like that too. I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and was saddened by the news of his passing. He deserves to have a tribute here.

Sorry, Cookiefan, but I'm pretty much the same as you. I believe the "Sesame Street" episode with Mr. Rogers aired before I was born, so I don't know much about that. I remember the Mr. Rogers episode with Big Bird very well. He was in the Neighborhood of Make Believe and Henrietta was worried that he would like X the Owl better than her. (That actually makes sense, because in reality cats would eat birds. Come to think of it, in reality Big Bird would have eaten Slimey, but that's getting a bit off topic) Anyway, Fred Rogers was a wonderful children's show host and will be greatly missed.

In fact I changed my quote as a tribute.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Here's the synopsis of the Mr. Rogers appearance on Sesame Street:

Big Bird and Snuffy are going to run a footrace, and Big Bird wants one of the adults to judge it. However, this was when everyone thought Snuffy wasn't real and it's a hot day outside, so the Bird is given the brush-off. Later, Mr. Rogers shows up waiting for a bus, and he believes Big Bird and agrees to judge the footrace. However, he has to go before he sees Snuffy run (of course, he's infinitely slower than the Bird in terms of speed) and when Snuffy finally catches up to Big Bird, the Bird tells him he saw Mr. Rogers. Snuffy (in an ironic twist of fate) doesn't believe him. Later, Mr. Rogers comes to Big Bird's nest and they chit-chat, and Big Bird lets Mr. Rogers play with Radar, the teddy bear.

There were other Mr. Rogers references on Sesame Street. During one of Ernie's guessing games, Bert suggests that he's hiding a picture of Mr. Rogers. Another time the Muppet Show jugband (in an appearance during a pledge drive) made a reference to him.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Also on the Big Bird Discovers The Orchestra LP, Big Bird decided to help Mr. Maestro, "even though it was time for Mr. Rogers".

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I also remember a sketch where Bert was writing a letter to Mr. Rogers.

Splurge

Reaction score
It looked like Fred Rogers and Caroll Spinney had a naturally good working relationship.

Personal side note: in the few times that Caroll played female AM's, I always thought he sounded like Lady Elaine Fairchild. :smile:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Yeah, I can imagine Carroll would be devastated by this loss.

A little side note in response to what you said. I never realized Carroll performed anybody besides Big Bird and Oscar. (Well, there was Bruno, Oscar's "garbage man." That sort of got me confused since it was Carroll playing both of them.)

Pino

Reaction score
But who is he

I dont know who mr rogers is. Is that a show or a cartoon... Can anyone explane to me who he is and how he is connected to sesamestreet?:embarrassed:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
Fred Rogers was the gentle host of another public television children's show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. When Sesame Street was being created, the creators cited his show as one of the few examples of good children's television at that time. Beyond the crossovers already mentioned, there wasn't any direct connection between Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, but a lot of us grew up watching both shows, so it seems only natural that his passing would be noted on this forum.

Sidebottom

Reaction score
I believe Little Jerry (of Little Jerry and the Monotones) also mentioned Mr. Rogers once during one of the band's appearances on the street.

-Sidebottom