Mr. Figg and friends...

Herry Grail

Reaction score
When I saw the Walter plush at the Disney Store the other day, its old-school charm reminded me for some reason of a Muppet my Mom made me when I was very young, and which I never really knew the back story on. All I remembered was that she said it was a Muppet, but because it was home-made and not on Sesame Street I always thought she was using the term generically.

Somehow the name "Mr. Figg" popped into my mind...I hadn't thought of him in years, but luckily I remembered his name. I looked it up online, and was amazed to find that he was featured in a 1969 Muppet story in Woman's Day that included patterns, which was right down her alley back then. Here's a link to the article:
http://www.henson.com/jimsredbook/2010/12/10/121969

The photos of the "real" Mr. Figg are amazingly like the one she made...she really went all out, which is no surprise. I know that it's still at her house, and I'm determined to find him over the next few weeks. In the meantime, I wonder if any of you have photos of your own Mom-made childhood Muppets from this story, or if you've tried some yourself. To me, these are the real thing...just classic.

Here's the "real" Mr. Figg until I find hers: