Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
This is for the opposite of the other thread. What movies do you enjoy but nobody else seems to? For me it's The Rocky and Bullwinkle Movie. It's dumb, has goofy puns, and is goofy , but that's what I liked about the show! I also want to add The Flintstones movie. (Every fan of the show seems to hate it, but I don't!) So what about you? What movies do you like but nobody else does?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like those too.

I see these clumsy movies based on cartoons that are often in name only and cobbled together out of old scripts for other films with a similar premise (oddly enough, George of the Jungle was, and it was one of the closest translations I've seen). But Rocky and Bullwinkle and Flintstones did the research. I mean, I dislike the fact the studio felt like they needed a female positive rolemode Mary Sue in the film to kill the comedic timing of Moose and Squirrel, but other than that the film's humor was exactly the same as the show... you had a Jay Ward historian play all the male cartoon leads, they got June back to play Rocky (nowadays, you need top notch A and B list people to do cartoon character voices of classic characters), and the humans that played the remaining toons? Can you say perfect cast? Jason Alexander has Boris's exact receding hair line.

You heard right. Same hair. They can't even cast people with same hair color half the time (since when is Penny Gadget a ginger? same time Dr. Claw always showed his face, I guess).

Flintstones... well, it's a little less well cast than the Moose (why is Betty fatter than Barney?) but it's excellent. The time and detail they put into making it look like The Flintstones? it just makes me very depressed that they've been foiled in every attempt to do a Jetsons movie.

I'd like to add two more to the list.

Popeye and Speed Racer. I can't believe Robert Altman gets flack from Popeye. That film was art! Generations have grown up with Popeye cartoons that were nothing more than Olive, Brutus, and Popeye chasing each other around until Popeye formulaically pulls out the spinach and pounds Brutus. Altman gave us the true Thimble Theater Popeye, complete with the Oyl family, Rough House, and the Geezil... perfectly cast (Shelly DuVall is Olive Oyl. I mean, REALLY... she was born for the role).

As for Speed Racer... come on. The original cartoon, while fun, was goofy. So we should expect the movie to not be goofy? Sure, it's a little long, and it was made when the Wachokowski (or whatever) Brothers lost it, but it looked like an anime and respected its Japanese roots more so than the original. And, hey... at least there weren't any mutants in there. And John Goodman as Pops Racer, referencing the fact he was a wrestler once (that happened in one episode)... they watched the cartoon. They knew the characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THE ADVENTURES OF ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE
BEE MOVIE
THE CAT IN THE HAT
THE COUNTRY BEARS
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW
ELF
HOME ALONE 2: LOST IN NEW YORK
HOME ALONE 3
KANGAROO JACK
KERMIT'S SWAMP YEARS
THE MUPPETS' WIZARD OF OZ
RATATOUILLE
SPACE JAM
SUPER MARIO BROS.
TWISTER

Drtooth

Reaction score
A lot of people really love Ratatouille. Don't see why that need be included. it just wasn't as toyetic or kid friendly as Cars was. It's pretty much my fourth favorite Pixar film overall (behind Monsters Inc, Up and Incredibles, of course).

I guess you could put me in the camp that liked Bee Movie too. It's not my favorite Dreamworks film, but there was a lot of fun in that film. You kinda have to like Jerry Seinfeld and his comedy routine to really dig the film. And it's like some weird Meme now because of how the Bee falls in love with a Human.

I gotta admit, I like the movie edition of Car 54 Where are You? It's not a great film by any means, sure, but it was pretty funny the last time I watched it. They sometimes rerun it on "ThisTV."

robodog

Reaction score
The Transformers movies. I know they're bad. They're pretty stupid in places and their detractors have made some very good points. But God help me, I can't help but enjoy them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A lot of people really love Ratatouille. Don't see why that need be included. it just wasn't as toyetic or kid friendly as Cars was. It's pretty much my fourth favorite Pixar film overall (behind Monsters Inc, Up and Incredibles, of course).

I guess you could put me in the camp that liked Bee Movie too. It's not my favorite Dreamworks film, but there was a lot of fun in that film. You kinda have to like Jerry Seinfeld and his comedy routine to really dig the film. And it's like some weird Meme now because of how the Bee falls in love with a Human.
Well, I've kind of noticed RATATOUILLE does seem to get a bit of flack, which is kind of why I listed it... but yes, it des seem like a lot of people really dislike BEE MOVIE, but I agree, and I've said it before, you kind of have to get Jerry Seinfeld's humor in order to really appreciate the movie.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Bee Movie was really surreal in my eyes. That new Free Birds movie feels just like, only have the surreal aspect turned to 11.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Transformers movies. I know they're bad. They're pretty stupid in places and their detractors have made some very good points. But God help me, I can't help but enjoy them.
You know what would make the films better?

Grimlock.

robodog

Reaction score
You know what would make the films better?

Grimlock.
It sounds like a great idea on the surface but considering they took fan favorite Devestator and gave him a huge set of robot testicles I shudder to think what they'd do to Grimlock. And if they did screw him up the fan outrage would probably be enough to melt the internet into nothingness. I like the movies for what they are but I'm not blind. The movies have several glaring flaws. A lot of fans of the film refuse to acknowledge that it's detractors have quite a few valid points. I'm willing to admit the movies are pretty stupid but I like them anyway. I have a huge blind spot for robots and I've only seen one robot related thing I've hated. That godawful Robotman cartoon that was made to sell those crappy plush toys in the 80's. But that barely counts. The stupid thing didn't even look like a robot. It looked like a taller yellow Ziggy with a propeller on it's head and a heart on it's chest,

Drtooth

Reaction score
That godawful Robotman cartoon that was made to sell those crappy plush toys in the 80's. But that barely counts. The stupid thing didn't even look like a robot. It looked like a taller yellow Ziggy with a propeller on it's head and a heart on it's chest,

Off topic, but you know what would have been awesome? A Robotman and Monty cartoon based on the Jim Meddick strips. Man, I really used to love those.