Movies that mean something to you...

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm not talking about favorites movies, that's a bit old hat. No, what I'm talking about is a movie (movies) that you have seen some time in your life and that have stayed with you up unto this very day. I saw this on another forum and thought it'd be a nifty conversation starter. I have a few examples here from high school but I'll come back with more later.

Up: Up came out right at the end of my junior year of high school, which was the worst year of my life. I was really depressed and the only things that kept me waking up in the morning every day were my math and journalism classes and knowing that I was one day closer to Up coming out. I didn't know anything beyond what the trailers showed. Naturally, I saw the movie on opening night and it flew past all expectations I had. Every single message the film emoted struck a cord with me, and the moral, "life is one adventure after another" really moved it and it was a sign of sorts that life was going to get so much better after that despicable school year was over (which it did). I thank Pete Doctor and everyone at Pixar for being the ones who helped me begin to snap out of my gloomy position and I consider Up not only Pixar's best, but one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Toy Story 3 - This movie came out the weekend of my high school's graduation ceremony, which was my high school graduation. That alone should set the tone for what I'm about to say. Just like every other 90's kid, I grew up with the first two Toy Story movies and getting to see these characters one more time before stepping foot into the real world - just as Andy was - was a joy and something I knew I couldn't miss. If I was a year or two younger or even older, I doubt I would have found this film as emotional as I did. I still would have found it bittersweet no doubt, everyone did. But just the sheer coincidental fact that this movie's opening weekend was the same weekend I graduated high school made it all the more powerful.

300 - Well this is a change of pace! :stick_out_tongue: Admittedly, I've only seen fragments of this movie but I certainly know all the memes that came from it ("THIS... IS... SPARTA!") but there is one reason this movie means something to me - again by sheer coincidence. I was a freshman in high school when 300 came out and 300's opening weekend just happened to be the weekend my first high school musical The Music Man was being performed. Of all the shows I did in high school, that was the show for me. I didn't even have a very big role but the whole run of that show just felt like pure magic, like anything could happen. And in the box office world, it was when 300was reigning supreme. So, yes, now I always tend to associate an overtly violent Spartan epic with "76 Trombones" and the "Wells Fargo Wagon". Random I know, but it takes me back, man. Great memories of high school. :cool:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm, this will take awhile to think about, lol, but I'll add one off the top of my head:

Disney's Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs: For some reason this was one classic Disney film I didn't grow up with as a young child; my parents just never bought the VHS. But when I was in middle school I was taking acting classes and our big project was doing a scene from Snow White (yes we were way too old for this, lol). I had a pretty good talent for memorizing so I was given the role of Grumpy, which was considered a more challenging role for a kid, lol. We all developed a very strong comaraderie together during rehersals and it was one of the best times of my childhood. :smile:

Anyway, on a whim I decided to finally rent a copy of Disney's Snow White and I truly fell in love with this classic. The voices of the dwarves were so expressive and endearing (which makes sense in an era of radio comedians, hehe). I remember I used to get up an hour early in the morning before school just to watch it. It got so bad at one point I actually hid the VHS so my Mom couldn't take it back to the store right away, lol.

To this day when I watch Snow White I'm reminded of those fun days in acting class and the excitment of sneaking downstairs to watch it every morning, lol.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think FATSO with Dom DeLuise, Anne Bancroft, Candice Azzara and Ron Carey is the one movie that really means something to me.

Granted, eating has never necessarily been a problem with me (and believe me, excessive eating is a fat stereotype: people always assume I can wolf down more than I really can handle), but the inner torment that Dom goes through throughout the entire movie, between pressures from people wanting him to slim down, to the heartsickness he goes through over his dream girl all hit very close to home for me. In fact, at times, I honestly can see myself in Dom's character.

mimitchi33

Reaction score
Mumfie's Quest: Taught me that bravery is the key to success in life.
Monsters' University: Taught me that studying is the key to success in school.
The Muppets: Taught me about the importance of childhood.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Wall-E (I don't know why) inspired me to make CGI movies, when i needed to figure out what to do with my life. Sadly, it didn't work. Anyways, that's still my favorite Animated movie. Pixar at it's finest.