Mouth Question

cjspiteri

Reaction score
I am skinning my second puppet and wondered if putting in the mouth lining after I secure the lining in the mouth would be strange looking. I am trying to get an even edge around the
mouth before putting in the material (inside mouth, throat and tongue) for the inside of the mouth.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

cjspiteri

Reaction score
The Mouth is fabricated. I have it mounted in the foam. Should I line it before I put the skin on or afterwards?

I am taking the skin off as I wait for replies - I am building up a tiny snout - trying to make a little "dragony" looking yellow puppet. I may rip the seams and insert a fringe on the top.

I'd fabricate the mouth first, then line it.

The Llama

Reaction score
This is actually a complex question because it depends on your construction technique. Did you build the foam base first then create a pattern for the skin? How complex is your mouth plate design? Are you going to glue the skin over the mouth plate or are you going to whip stitch the mouth to the skin? If the opening for the mouth is rough and not precisely cut you may want to hide the edge with the mouth lining. It won't look as finished however.