Mouth problems

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
FUNNY! .... But also not good because if he understood he might be able to contribute something better to solve the problem.

Hang on Buck, I'm going to take a photo of the area she is having problems with and post it later this afternoon.

Even if Biblbetty might have figured out a solution it's still beneficial to get other oppinions and an answer from Buck is always from a good point of view.

-Michele

Jinx

Reaction score
The simplest way (conceptually) that I deal with this unknown factor is that I first build and cover the mouthplate. The fabric wraps around all edges and glues to the "backside", which is of course never seen. Then I build and cover the head, and I do the same thing. Allow plenty of fabric to wrap the edge of the foam so that it is glued on the inside. Then I glue the mouthplate into the mouth, setting it slightly inside the edge of the head piece so that it does not show when the mouth is closed.

Phantom

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. In the very back corners of the mouth you get a "webbing" effect in that when the mouth opens it pulls the fabric outside the mouth. I, too have experienced that and, in my opinion, if you are using good fabric (especiallly Antron) it adds a cool little...I don't know...smile, smirk thingy. Character or something. I always though it was charming.

I use either hot glue or contact cement to get the fold over onto the mouth plate attached as far back as possible and let the 1/8th of an inch or so I couldn't get to exists as it is...like real skin... Anyway, if you do as Puppetplanet suggests and pay attention to "stretch", you can get it glued down all the way.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey - you haven't "stumped me"!

You're just obviously doing a terrible job of explaining the problem. :wink: :zany:

Jinx is right though - it's helpful to make the mouthplate first, and then build the puppet's head up around around that. That's my approach anyway. Some people seem to make heads and then try to figure out how to slap a mouth in to them. That doesn't work very well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I start with the mouth first, too. Sort of. I carve Muley's muzzle first (top is 2" foam, bottom is 1" foam), apply the mouth plates, red mouth interior, then cover the muzzle with fur which is then sewn to the proper placement on the head.

biblebetty

Reaction score
I Want to thank you all for helping me when i got into trouble with my puppet friends, you guys & gals were alway there when i had questions or just needed a laugh. you guys have all be great. well here goes. Big Mike just showed me how to show pictures. I have never done this be for and i hope I remember everything. start praying

Whale - October - Alternative night - Jonah & the Whale
Gifts boxes - December - Christmas program - The Greatest Gift
Cactus & Singers - April - Easter Program - Ministries Concert

thank-you and I hope this works

[URL=http://www.wlbconline.com/Alice/

biblebetty

Reaction score
mistake

I would like to thank everyone for all the help you have given me in the past months. When I got into trouble with my puppet friends you were all there to lend a hand (err computer) to help me with my problems. and now for the pictures

Whale - October - Alternative night - Jonah & the Whale
Gifts boxes - December - Christmas program - The Greatest Gift
Cactus & Singers - April - Easter Program - Ministry Concert

if you reconize the singers patterns they are from a class I took from David panabecker. Well worth the price.

thank-you allhttp://www.wlbconline.com/Alice/

sorry for the dup, the first time I did this the reply did not show quick, in fact it took five minutes. so I thought I made a mistake and did it again.

sorry

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
These puppets look wonderful! So, where's the mouth problem?

biblebetty

Reaction score
thank-you I was worried. look at the Gifts Large, Med, Jr., now Look at large very close. on the corner of the mouth you will see the material is lifted off the corner of the mouth from the palate. One of the puppeteers opened the mouth to wide and the corners material popped out.