More Electric Company Memories

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I fugure I'd start a new thread for just the show itself to talk more about the series. Anyone here remember a film called Sweet Sue at the Sweet Shop? This film's about some girl at an ice cream parlor or a sweet shop as it's called in the film. Can't remember all of the lyrics but starts out like. "I know a girl who looks like a Nic. Who like the flavor of ice cream. The middle part of the song were the lady sings never can say no Sweet Sue at the sweet shop, the kids while they're eating move their heads to the song which they can't actually hear since it was 1 of those films that was silent with the sound added later.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I sure recall that one, can plainly hear how it sounded. I think this one was memorable and would be recalled by most original TEC viewers. It wasn't included in the recently released dvd set of TEC, though. "I like fish food", "Right on", and lots of other classic ones were, however.

Here's a lot of the lyrics with a few lines missing (including the opening line you referenced):

Oh, let's go. Sweet Sue at the sweet shop.

Never can say no. Sweet Sue at the sweet shop.

Watch her grow. Sweet Sue at the sweet shop.

She wants butterscotch ice cream. Chocolate, too.

Vanilla with a cherry on the top.

Strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry.

Any kind of berry that they've got.

Well, she bought a little shop, put a neon sign on top,

And now it is the sweet shop of sweet Sue.

The sweetest shop.
---------

Says good ol' Joe Raposo was the composer of this song, as well as the theme song of TEC itself. :smile:

lowercasegods

Reaction score
My fondest memories of The Electric Company (and there were a lot) were of Letterman. That animation was just so funky and fun, and really inspired my own artwork, then and now. In fact, when I was around five or six I made my own Letterman comic book. Man I wish I still had that. And the voice talent they got was unbelievable. Such a great segment...

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Films didn't seem to be as common on TEC as with SS but there were a few. 1 was a film about a night at some amusment park which also featured some song which I can't remember how it went other than I think the song might of been sung by folk singer Tom Paxton. Sounded like he might of sung a another EC film on ice skating that went like take a ride and had words like glide stride etc.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
The Wiltons.

Anyone remember this skit which was apparently a priorty of The Waltons?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
1 piece of cake.

Skip Hinnant as Buster Boy want some chocolate cake and his mom says 1 piece of he wants more. Well he does take 1 piece but it's a rather big piece. He cut 1 piece but takes the whole cake!

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Skip Hinnant as Buster Boy want some chocolate cake and his mom says 1 piece of he wants more. Well he does take 1 piece but it's a rather big piece. He cut 1 piece but takes the whole cake!
As I recall, he didn't take the WHOLE cake, but rather he took the REST of the cake.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Rink-a-dink-dink.

Sort of based on the rub-a-dub-bub- Nersery Rhyme.
Can't remember how it all went but it was something like. Rink-a-dink-dink. 3 men in a sink. The Butcher, The Baker, The something something (wasn't the candle stick maker in this case). blank blank blank. Pulled out the plug and I think the sink is going to sink.
Mogan Freeman who I'm not sure who he was says to the guy played by Skip Hinnant,blank. You're a real fink! Which he replies, I know.

Ziffel

Reaction score
I think I very vaguely remember that one. I don't recall what they used in place of candlestick maker.
How about one skit where Morgan Freeman plays a contestant on a game show and Skip Hinnant is the host. Can't remember the name of the game show. Every time Morgan Freeman would say a word that rhymed with the main word he would win cash and prizes. I think the word was a secret word that they revealed to the audience but maybe they let Morgan know what the word was too (which would really make it easy to win a lot of things). In any case, it was pretty funny how Morgan happened to keep saying a word that rhymes in every single sentence and then wild fanfare would ensue and Skip Hinnant would shout the rhyming word in a real excited frenzy as lots of money fell down on the stage and prizes were awarded to Morgan. I think the main word he had to rhyme was something like heart, because at the end when he has a stage full of prizes and tons of cash that he won, he says to Skip, "I don't know how I'm going to carry all this stuff home. Do you think I could borrow a cart?" And then Skip says, "Cart! Cart!" and more fanfare sounds, and more money falls on Morgan. Funny how Morgan seemed to be getting stressed out in this skit. Wiining so much money and prizes that presents a challenge in getting it all home is a problem most people would like to have.