Moonbeam City thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
I will admit, I didn't find this show that's like Miami Vice-meets-City Hunter-meets-Archer very fantastic compared to its latter inspiration, but like the muppets., I feel that it started to reach its potential by the end of the season, especially with the twist in the finale about Rad Cunningham's origin. It also seems like Rad's loser status is being explored more, like with the episode where he starts a new life in a virtual reality system after nearly abusing it just to get back at Dazzle. And I also liked the episode that seemed to suggest that Moonbeam City is the craphole that it is because of all the police corruption rather than the criminal gangs. I hope we get more plot threads like those if it gets another season.

So far, the only character who hasn't received a backstory is Chrysalis, the only competent member of the PD and the only one who wants to make a difference in the world of law enforcement, but is constantly being abused by the others, especially Dazzle, who wouldn't be in the position he is if it weren't for her. There are also some seeds of romance sprouting between her and Rad if the finale is anything to go by, which I hope also continues in the next season (if there will be one).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I tend to find Moonbeam City the 1980's white cop show equivalent of Black Dynamite. Considering that Titmouse was behind the first season of BD as well as this series.

There's a lot I really liked about this series, but if there's one thing I can narrow it down to, it's the artwork. The Patrick Nagel-esque look of the show just jumps out at me. If there's 2 cartoons that I absolutely love the look of on television right now it's this series and Pig Goat Banana Cricket.

I enjoyed the show when it started, but I think the episode with the crazy artist that animated bowling alley strike visualizations was the first one to stick out. The artist being a complete psychopath and Dazzle being a total fanboy for the strike visualizations, just delightful. I really hope this show caught on to get a second season, it's pretty underrated. It's not quite Rick and Morty or Venture Bros, but it's much more fun than most adult animated shows.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also love that they got Adam West to voice Dazzle's stuntman father, making it one of the few times he didn't voice a superhero. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also like the window blinds shade running gag on Pizzazz, especially when there isn't a window in sight. Something about it reminds me of Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo. And Chrysalis is the equivalent of Beauty in that case. Even Pizzazz isn't above it all. Just surrounded by different nuts, Chrysalis is.

Really great cast all around here. Will Forte as Rad, Elizabeth Banks in my second favorite of her roles (Wyld Style being the first). I especially liked Kevin MacDonald as both one of Pizzazz's sisters and one of her sisters' husbands. I'd think that's my favorite episode so far, the one about Pizzaz's screwed up family. A nice little stab at Dynasty and similar shows from the period the show is set in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Brickleberry was only around because of Daniel Tosh. Mayhaps if Viacom's head had a stalker crush on Will Forte or Rob Lowe.

I wasn't holding out any hope for this since they pretty much pulled the episodes and resorted to having to see them online. Which is the thing that needs to be done. This series should have been an online exclusive. It's really a shame that they probably won't revive it for one of the dozens of online markets, where it would have fit much better than Comedy Central.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So... Moonbeam City, Comedy Central couldn't wait to get rid of, Legends of Chaimberlain Heights gets a second season before the second episode aired.

Yeah.

Fair.