Monsters

BEAR

Reaction score
You know something I have noticed? There are certain monster characters whose names are always mentioned using the last name of "Monster" at the end and some are never referred to like that.
It is always like this:
Cookie Monster
Herry Monster
Telly Monster

and then:
Grover
Elmo
Zoe
Rosita
who are never mentioned using the last name. We never hear Grover Monster or Zoe Monster.

superfan

Reaction score
And not typically as the other ones Bear mentioned.

Now my first thought as to why (they have Monster at the end of their names) is that Herry and Cookie just started out as regular monsters with limited vocabulary and wanton acts of monster-ness. But Telly, aside from his spiral eyes in the beginning, I think had a good vocabulary and acts as neurotically as he does today. But then you dont hear them say Frazzle Monster, either and he's the wildest one of the bunch!
As for Elmo, Grover and Zoe, they've got some strong human like traits as far as vocabulary and actions go, so they're acknowledged as Monsters because of how they look, but not with their names.

wes

Reaction score
It just sounds Better, you have to understand that the producers have to make the names easy to say for the kids, it just sound easier to say Telly monster than Grover monster.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
BEAR said:
You know something I have noticed? There are certain monster characters whose names are always mentioned using the last name of "Monster" at the end and some are never referred to like that.
It is always like this:
Cookie Monster
Herry Monster
Telly Monster

and then:
Grover
Elmo
Zoe
Rosita
who are never mentioned using the last name. We never hear Grover Monster or Zoe Monster.
there've been many times where monster wasn't used referring to them. I don't know about now but in the past sometimes I'd hear monster and somtimes not.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I did hear him say Grover Monster one time. In the skit when he said "Welcome to Grover Monster's Workout video" It even had the words Grover Monster written right on the screen. I think that one was last seen 3 years ago. When they used to have "Monstertime"

wes

Reaction score
They should call them CREATURES, I never feel good calling them Monsters, they Have never seemed like monsters to me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They don't even call him "Telly Monster" anymore. It's always just plain "Telly". And we have heard "Elmo Monster" before.

Censored

Reaction score
wes said:
They should call them CREATURES, I never feel good calling them Monsters, they Have never seemed like monsters to me.

Well, monster doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think part of the idea was to extinguish fears that kids may have about monsters.

What I've really wondered is what you're supposed to call the "human" muppets like Ernie and Bert, Sherlock Hemlock, Guy Smiley, etc. People? Than how do you distinguish them from Gordon, Susan, Bob, Maria, and Luis? I noticed that they really didn't have a name for them in Follow That Bird. Maria said that Sesame Street had people, birds, monsters, grouches, Ernie and Bert....
Okay, but what exactly is Ernie and Bert? LOL