Monsters Vs. Aliens, the series

Xerus

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Monsters Vs. Aliens series on Nick?

It does show promise. I really loved the original movie and I was hoping I'd see a series about it. In the series, the monsters now have to share their base with some alien visitors and they're always at odds with each other. Making it still a M vs A series. So far, two new aliens named Coverton and Sqweep have joined the cast and two more aliens named Sta'abi and Vornicarn are supposed to be introduced later.

In the series, Susan, aka: Ginormica now has the ability to shrink and grow at will. The other monsters still have their funny charms. And General Monger and the President are still the same. But Insectasaurus hasn't been featured in the series yet.

None of the original actors came back to voice their characters and they now have a brand new voice cast.

Movie cast:

REESE WITHERSPOON: Susan/Ginormica
WILL ARNETT: The Missing Link
HUGH LAURIE: Dr. Cockroach
SETH ROGEN: B.O.B.
KIEFER SUTHERLAND: General Warren Monger
STEPHEN COLBERT: President Hathaway

TV series cast:

RIKI LINDHOME: Susan/Ginormica
DEIDRICH BADER: The Missing Link
CHRIS O'DOWD: Dr. Cockroach
ERIC EDELSTEIN: B.O.B.
KEVIN M. RICHARDSON: General Warren Monger
JAMES PATRICK STUART: President Hathaway
JEFF BENNETT: Coverton
HALEY TJU: Sqweep
GILLIAN JACOBS: Sta'abi

I'm looking forward to seeing more M vs. A series and finding out what the last two aliens will do once they arrive. Along with finding out Coverton's true purpose on Earth and who his master is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Y'know, I used to wonder if they would ever do a series of certain animated movies, like Shrek, for example... now DreamWorks seems to have found a gimmick for themselves to stay one step ahead of the rest (especially Pixar). I mean a series for the penguins from the Madagascar movies, yeah those guys kinda stole the show and a series for them seemed like a fit... a series for HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, okay, that had potential I guess... but a MONSTERS VS. ALIENS series? Really? They might as well do a series with Barry B. Benson, give him three other bees to mingle with (a short, stocky, bald bee with glasses; a tall hipster doofus bee with high hair; and a female bee thrown into the mix) and called it BEE SEINFELD.

snichols1973

Reaction score
And then there's Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness, which is a spin-off from the movie franchise, which currently airs as part of the NickToons schedule rotation.

Lucy Liu and James Hong are among the few performers that regularly appear as their movie roles (Viper and Mr. Ping, respectively) in KFP:LoA; Randall Duk Kim makes a guest appearance in LoA as Oogway's ghost, and Fred Tatasciore, who had brief cameos in KFP2 as Po's father and one of the Gorilla guards, has a more prominent role as Master Shifu in LoA.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Y'know, I used to wonder if they would ever do a series of certain animated movies, like Shrek, for example... now DreamWorks seems to have found a gimmick for themselves to stay one step ahead of the rest (especially Pixar). I mean a series for the penguins from the Madagascar movies, yeah those guys kinda stole the show and a series for them seemed like a fit... a series for HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, okay, that had potential I guess... but a MONSTERS VS. ALIENS series? Really? They might as well do a series with Barry B. Benson, give him three other bees to mingle with (a short, stocky, bald bee with glasses; a tall hipster doofus bee with high hair; and a female bee thrown into the mix) and called it BEE SEINFELD.
Monsters Vs, Aliens was a cult film. It never gained the big attention that Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, or Madagascar, and because it didn't perform well in some foreign market, it didn't even get a sequel. A Television show would have been a better choice anyway. I thought it would be more like a monster of the week sort of series (well, alien of the week), but it has a fixed set of recurring villains. And the cast doesn't even know the big villain is a villain yet. The show is great... funny, very comedy oriented. Something tells me when they reveal Coverton is a villain, the show will really ramp up.

The only other Dreamworks movie I want to see as a TV series? Megamind. Now, THAT would have a lot of potential.

Xerus

Reaction score
I hear after the future Turbo movie. Dreamworks is planning to make a Turbo cartoon series. But you can only get it from Netflix.

Also, I'd think an Over the Hedge series would be funny.

And I'd like to see Dreamworks come up with a cartoon series not based on one of their movies. They already did that with shows like Toonsylvania and Father of the Pride.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
An OVER THE HEDGE series would fall into the category like TOONSYLVANIA and FATHER OF THE PRIDE, as that wasn't their property to begin with, they just got the movie rights to it (apparently, it already existed as a newspaper comic strip).

Xerus

Reaction score
An OVER THE HEDGE series would fall into the category like TOONSYLVANIA and FATHER OF THE PRIDE, as that wasn't their property to begin with, they just got the movie rights to it (apparently, it already existed as a newspaper comic strip).
Yes, I have seen the Over the Hedge comic strips. I picture Over the Hedge series being something like U.S.Acres from Garfield and Friends.

Xerus

Reaction score
Monsters Vs, Aliens was a cult film. It never gained the big attention that Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, or Madagascar, and because it didn't perform well in some foreign market, it didn't even get a sequel. A Television show would have been a better choice anyway. I thought it would be more like a monster of the week sort of series (well, alien of the week), but it has a fixed set of recurring villains. And the cast doesn't even know the big villain is a villain yet. The show is great... funny, very comedy oriented. Something tells me when they reveal Coverton is a villain, the show will really ramp up.

The only other Dreamworks movie I want to see as a TV series? Megamind. Now, THAT would have a lot of potential.
Yes, the M vs. A series kind of reminds me of certain anime like Sailor Moon and Tenchi Muyo where the cast members show up slowly throughout the series.

And I think Sqweep is really neat. He's not really a villain, he's only on Earth for a school field trip and Coverton just tries to trick him into doing bad things.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
There is definitely a creative void in television animation. I grew up with the Alf cartoon and Ducktales and a lot of quality programs that technically were spinoffs of other things. Why wouldn't a Monsters vs Aliens program work?

I think an Over the Hedge toon could have worked too. I'm not sure about How to Train Your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda. I kind of think a program would water-down the epic scope a film could bring.

As for Bee Movie. That was awful and thank frog it's gone now.