Monsterpiece Theater: The Chipmunk Song

wiley207

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you know that back in 1959, Ross Bagdasarian (a.k.a. David Seville) performed "The Chipmunk Song" with puppet versions of the Chipmunks created by Bob Clampett. With this fanfic, this is what it'd be like if the Jim Henson Company took a stab at doing their own version of "The Chipmunk Song" in the 1990s! I did this in the form of a Monsterpiece Theater sketch, and I know Christmas is still ways off (though Alistair Cookie mentions that), but I hope you guys enjoy this funny parody! :zany:

MONSTERPIECE THEATER – THE CHIPMUNK SONG

We start on the 1991-1995 “Monsterpiece Theater” opening sequence, as we pan across various books and sweets in a library with the Monsterpiece Theater theme playing, accompanied by Alistair Cookie’s eating. Then we come up to a paper with “Monsterpiece Theatre – Introduced by Alistair Cookie” on it as crumbs fall past it.

Now we fade up to Alistair Cookie in his library. There is a night sky out with a crescent moon. Cookie notices he is on camera and begins his introduction…

Cookie: Hello there, me Alistair Cookie, and welcome to Monsterpiece Theater. Tonight, we present classic Christmas song! Yes, me know it is still summer, but me could not resist! This song stars three little Chipmunks that cannot wait for Christmas to come, and one of them wants a hula-hoop! And now we present, “The Chipmunk Song.”

We fade to the sketch. It is a near-perfect recreation of the old 1961 animated version of “The Chipmunk Song,u201D except it is done with Muppets, performed to the soundtrack of the animated version. As an instrumental version of the song plays, we pan around the house, which is full of Christmas decorations and recording equipment. There are also little notes everywhere that say “I WANT A HULA HOOP” and “DON’T FORGET THE HULA HOOP” on them.

Now we see a Muppet version of Alvin (puppeteered by Kevin Clash). He looks like a generic Muppet chipmunk that sort of resembles how he appeared in the early 1980s, complete with the big “A” on his shirt. He is putting another hula-hoop reminder on the Christmas tree, and then he hears the door opening. Alvin sneaks over to the door. It opens, and a Muppet version of Dave Seville enters holding a lot of presents. (Dave is portrayed by an Orange Gold Live Hand Anything Muppet puppeteered by Marty Robinson and Joey Mazzarino) Alvin watches with glee, and then sneaks over to the presents and hides behind the tree. Dave watches, rather suspicious, then exits. A microphone is set up on a boom near the tree.

Alvin is about to open a present, until Simon walks in (a Muppet version of the character, complete with his big glasses and puppeteered by Jerry Nelson) holding one of those throat sprays, and sprays some in his mouth. The mist floats near Alvin, which causes him to choke up and hold his breath, trying not to cough. Alvin then tries to open the present again, but then Dave adjusts the microphone. He then goes over to his tape recorder as the song starts up again…

(NOTE: Dave and the Chipmunks’ voices are done by Ross Bagdasarian Sr. from the original 1958 recording of the song.)

Dave: All right, you Chipmunks, ready to sing your song?

The Muppet versions of Simon and Theodore stand near the microphone. (Theodore is puppeteered by Camille Bonora)

Simon: Ah, savior!

Theodore: Yeah, let’s sing it now!

Dave: OK, Simon?

Simon: OK.

Dave: OK, Theodore?

Theodore: OK.

Dave: OK, Alvin? (gets a bit annoyed) Alvin…

We see Alvin trying to open another present.

Dave: ALVIN!

Alvin: (into the microphone) OK! (the sound comes loud out of Dave’s headphones)

The Chipmunks begin singing, though Alvin looks annoyed.

Chipmunks: (singing) Christmas, Christmas time is near!
Time for toys and time for cheer!
We’ve been good, but we can’t last!
Hurry Christmas, hurry fast!

As they sing this line, Alvin opens a present with his foot as the others tug on him, and inside the present is a striped ball.

Chipmunks: Want a plane that loops the loop…

Alvin: Me, I want a hula-hoop!

Chipmunks: We can hardly stand the wait,
Please, Christmas, don’t be late!

Alvin counts the presents during these lyrics. Then Theodore hangs a stocking, Simon hangs ornaments on the Christmas tree, and Alvin goes through the various presents, but only finds a tie, a book of poetry, a toothbrush, and signed photo of Dave. Simon and Theodore continue decorating the tree.

Dave: (still adjusting the tape recorder) OK, fellas, get ready. That was very good, Simon.

Simon: Naturally.

Dave: Very good, Theodore. (Theodore does his trademark giggle)

We see a bunch of opened Christmas presents on the ground, with Alvin going through them.

Dave: Uh, Alvin, you were a little flat, watch it. Uh, Alvin… Alvin? ALVIN!

Alvin: (joins with Simon and Theodore again) OK!

Chipmunks: (singing) Want a plane that loops the loop…

Alvin: (more annoyed than ever) I still want a hula-hoop!

As the Chipmunks sing the next line, Alvin does a “crazy” look and dance with a goofy expression.

Chipmunks: We can hardly stand the wait,
We can hardly stand the wait,

Dave then hands Simon and Theodore two toy planes, and gives Alvin a hula-hoop!

Dave: Very good, boys!

Alvin: Let’s sing it again!

Simon: Yeah, let’s sing it again!

Dave: (begins to walk off) No, that’s enough, let’s not overdo it.

The Chipmunks follow Dave playing with their new toys.

Alvin: Whaddaya mean “overdo it?u201D

Theodore: We wanna sing it again!

Dave: Now wait a sec, boys.

Simon: (swishes by Dave with his plane) Yeah it’s pretty, why can’t we sing it again?

Now Simon and Theodore crowd Dave with their planes and fly them around, and Theodore holds his sheet music. They all begin chattering at once. Alvin spins in his hula-hoop, but does it too close to Dave, whom appears to get caught in the hoop! Then the Christmas tree falls over and lands with a gigantic crash! Ornaments fly everywhere and smash on the ground. Dave and the Chipmunks poke their heads out of the wreckage.

Dave and Chipmunks: Merry Christmas, everybody!

We fade back to Alistair Cookie laughing at this.

Cookie: Hahahaha, they broke the tree! Oh, and so end our presentation of “The Chipmunk Song.” Thank you for watching Alistair Cookie for Monsterpiece Theater.

As the Monsterpiece Theater closing theme plays, a hula-hoop flies onto Alistair Cookie. Alvin enters with Dave, Simon and Theodore still chattering (via looped audio of the four of them arguing from the end of the song).

Cookie: Feliz Navidad!

END