Moderation Proposition

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't really know, to be quite honest. In the past I had made a request to Phill to see what it would take to become a mod, but nothing came of it. Then another member (I can't recall who) told me that I didn't know what I was doing, and that becoming a mod would make me less popular here on the forums. So I have kept quite about it ever since.
I have however tried to do my best to show the forum as much support as I could. Over the past three years the forums have had some "difficult" topics, and things come up, and I have tried to turn them around in a positive. Now sometimes that hasn't worked, and sometimes I have said things that where a mistake, but then if my mistakes where pointed out to me I would try (key word try) to make it right.
As for me becoming a mod now, if they asked I would jump in 110% doing everything within my powers to help the forums grow and stay positive. however, I'm not going to start a "campaign" to become a mod. Mostly because I don't know how it would be received by both parties.

I hope that answers your question....

Vincent L

Reaction score
I'm just asking that because what you posted so far seems to hint that you want to become a mod.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well if that's how it's sounding then I'm sorry, I just want whats best for the forums. It's really not up to me whether I become a mod or not. it would be up to the other mods, and members. Honestly I don't think that or anything like a new mod will happen. No matter how bad we may all want it.

Hubert

Reaction score
It's sad but you more then right about that. I do understand what your saying about people hating change, I've seen it on here several times.
I guess my thing is I have almost grown accustom to not having, a lot of moderator "support" (I don't know if that is the right word to use)
I know that in the past there have been things I have done that I wanted to add to the site, for whatever reason it never got added. So I took matters in to my own hands and posted it on the forums, and the outcome was great.
This is the second time that I hear about a positive feel to the forum, or the lack there of. Either I'm not seeing the negative flow or it is being hidden in threads that I don't view. So if someone could give me an example then maybe I could understand that more.
Also I have been following this thread somewhat but, I'm still kind of confused What do you want the mods (new and old) to do? Yes I understand that spamers on here are bad, and should not be on here, but what else is there?
This is the only forum I'm a member of, so I don't really know how involved other mods for other sites are, and I don't know what they do or don't do. So if you could explain it to me I want to understand.
We're talking about the negative flow as something that only some users see. Some users think that MC is declining, others do not. When I mentioned that, I basically meant that maybe a stronger presence of an administration team to help out might help to get rid of any growing concerns that some member has.

As for purpose, we're not so much looking for more activities for mods to do, but rather the enabling of people who have some more time to focus on the site. Phillip, Cindy and Kevin have busy lives and can't focus all of their attention on the forum, and we have no problem with that. However, we have Ed doing so much extra stuff, and adding a mod or two might help to take some work off of Ed's load.

And then also, even if getting a mod right now isn't doable, we'd like to see Ed be able to have some more tools to take care of issues, such as deleting bad members when they have already joined past the due date, banning members who need to cool down, locking threads, etc.

If we could either have more mods or increased tools for them, then the forum might flow a little smoother and be an even better place than it is now. MC is a growing community, and the administration team needs to grow with it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To answer a few questions/comments...

1 MuppetQuilter asked to be removed as a member of the forum staff in light of her busy home life. That request was honored, though she may still pop in occasionally as a regular member of the forums.
2 Yes, I agree with returning powers to all staff members to lock threads and merge threads and ban members after the "Spam Cleaner" link has long disappeared from their profile page.
3 Rather than new moderators, I think we should implement the "Right Hand" moderators' assistants program. Or have a veteran moderator the rest of us can turn to and have them step in should their help be needed to resolve certain outstanding reported issues.
No, I can't do everything on my own... And there are just some things that even I myself don't know how to handle, especially if I was the one who reported an issue.
4 As to becoming a moderator, I don't exactly know how it happens for other people. However, I'll just refer to a quote from Ken Lily when working on the Muppets figure line, which comes from a song: "You can't please all the people all of the time, so just do the best job you can."
At times it may seem like a popularity contest... And there are times you'll get an angry response stemming from the job done as a moderator, but that's why the staff named and conferred said powers upon you, to get the job done. You may make mistakes along the way as I myself have, but that's part of the learning process in becoming a better mod/staffer. And if you do it long enough and well/consistently enough, the recognition will come.

Hubert

Reaction score
Hey Ed, could you explain the "right hand mod assistant program" a bit better? I don't think some of us are entirely sure what that is exactly.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, you'd have to ask Kevin (Fozzie Bear) as he's the one who initially came up with the concept. I kind of think it would mean giving certain members of trust mod-like abilities of new member registration, access to reported posts, and seeing a member's profile and posts; and then passing on any info about those people's activities to a mod should one need to get involved.
Hope that helps a little.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Actually, you'd have to ask Kevin (Fozzie Bear) as he's the one who initially came up with the concept. I kind of think it would mean giving certain members of trust mod-like abilities of new member registration, access to reported posts, and seeing a member's profile and posts; and then passing on any info about those people's activities to a mod should one need to get involved.
Hope that helps a little.
I'm still confused about this. So these members have the power to delete spam members or just report it to someone higher up? Cause to be honest, that seems like it defeats the purpose of this if it's still you doing all the work and members still can't do anything

dwayne1115

Reaction score
To me it sounds like it is a new members committee type of a thing. Where some of the older members would be able to help the newer members with there posts, and block spamers as well. at least to me that's what it sounds like. but again it dose sound like all that you would be able to do is report any wrong doing that you may see. Which in a way we already have a thread that dose that very thing.