Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Throwing aside the counterpane, there lay the tomahawk sleeping by the savage's side, as if it were a hatchet-faced baby.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
A pretty pickle, truly, thought I; abed here in a strange house in the broad day, with a cannibal and a tomahawk!

A thousand thanks to the Artist Formerly Known As 1,000 Eyes. This is the most positive thing this board has seen in a while. Quite rightfully so.

Carry on, MacDuff, errr. Herman! 8)
Aw shucks. :coy:

As a side note, the name change is merely to truly immerse myself in the narrative. I'll likely change it back upon the completion of this masterwork. I don't care if you refer to me as 1,000 Eyes, Old Thunder, or even David, lol. Whichever ya want, shipmates.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
At length, by dint of much wriggling, and loud and incessant expostulations upon the unbecomingness of his hugging a fellow male in that matrimonial sort of style, I succeeded in extracting a grunt; and presently, he drew back his arm, shook himself all over like a Newfoundland dog just from the water, and sat up in bed, stiff as a pike-staff, looking at me, and rubbing his eyes as if he did not altogether remember how I came to be there, though a dim consciousness of knowing something about me seemed slowly dawning over him.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Meanwhile, I lay quietly eyeing him, having no serious misgivings now, and bent upon narrowly observing so curious a creature.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
When, at last, his mind seemed made up touching the character of his bedfellow, and became, as it were, reconciled to the fact; he jumped out upon the floor, and by certain signs and sounds he gave me to understand that, if it pleased me he would dress first and then leave me to dress afterwards, leaving the whole apartment to myself.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Thinks I, Queequeg, under the circumstances, this is a very civilised overture; but, the truth is, these savages have an innate sense of delicacy, say what you will; it is marvellous how essentially polite they are.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I pay this particular compliment to Queequeg, because he treated me with so much civility and consideration, while I was guilty of great rudeness; staring at him from the bed, and watching all his toilette motions: for the time my curiosity getting the better of my breeding.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Nevertheless, a man like Queequeg you don't see every day, he and his ways were well worth unusual regarding.