MMW Reactions Theory

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
After reading some of the lukewarm to negative reviews of Muppets Most Wanted, I have a theory about a certain portion of the Muppets' audience. I think some people don't want the Muppets to go on adventures. Not that they would probably say it that way, but some of the criticisms toward MMW -- that's it's not as heartwarming as the last movie, the plot's not as good, etc. -- hint that they don't much care for the change to an action-adventure/caper format. If my memory serves me correctly (and I need to look it up to be sure), some of the more lukewarm reviews of GMC or MTI had the same attitude -- like the action/adventure format & conventions were beneath the Muppets.

Does anyone else see it this way? Personally, as much as I love the deeply personal, heartwarming style of The Muppet Movie or M11, I don't think every Muppet movie can or should be that way. Of course, I may be biased because GMC and MTI were two of the Muppet productions I watched most growing up.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Before seeing MMW, I was looking through the headlines of reviews and I did not want to look through those. It is sounding like the plot is just so "terrible" blah blah blah etc. After seeing it, I thought it was an amazing. I don't understand why there is a negative lashing reviews nowadays old and new. There are some tough gossiping evil critics out there. I am not talking about Statler & Wardolf. I am talking, mean, nasty, biased, and cynical critics out there that just want to shove garbage down to your throat.

Reaction score
I've just been to see MMW,and I quite enjoyed it.
I have to agree with you muppetfan.It seems to me that critics in general don't know what they're talking about.
It's kind of like an old saying"don't judge a book by it's cover".
Personally I found MMW to be among their best movies.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
I've just been to see MMW,and I quite enjoyed it.
I have to agree with you muppetfan.It seems to me that critics in general don't know what they're talking about.
It's kind of like an old saying"don't judge a book by it's cover".
Personally I found MMW to be among their best movies.
BTW: "don't judge a book by it's cover" was the lyric from the song "Sweet Transvette"
I absolutely loved the movie. Even though the plot may be confusing and kind of going, "Huh?" The gags were pure genius, some of the jokes gave me some chuckles. And full body Muppet. YES! Reminds me of the full body Muppets including from TMS or "The Muppet Show."

Drtooth

Reaction score
After reading some of the lukewarm to negative reviews of Muppets Most Wanted, I have a theory about a certain portion of the Muppets' audience. I think some people don't want the Muppets to go on adventures. Not that they would probably say it that way, but some of the criticisms toward MMW -- that's it's not as heartwarming as the last movie, the plot's not as good, etc. -- hint that they don't much care for the change to an action-adventure/caper format. If my memory serves me correctly (and I need to look it up to be sure), some of the more lukewarm reviews of GMC or MTI had the same attitude -- like the action/adventure format & conventions were beneath the Muppets.
Like I said before, the reviews were baffling. Just... really...like they wanted to see a Jason Segal movie with the Muppets in it and cursed the film for being a slight disappointment on a level of not being the same exact tone of the last movie (while oddly not praising the better quality in editing and pacing that makes this new film work on a better level).

Now, Muppet movies or otherwise, when a movie is a slight disappointment- and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine- then it's a million times worse than a movie that's bad all around. And heck, Bad movies get more respect than good movies that are slight disappointments. That seems to be the theme. It wasn't as "good" as the last film, so it's HORRIBLE! Really? These are professionals?! I've seen more in-depth and fair reviews from amateurs.

By all means, this film was better put together, less emotionally manipulative, and didn't need a leap of faith to appreciate. I dearly do love The Muppets, but MMW was a better Muppet movie all around.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Like I said before, the reviews were baffling. Just... really...like they wanted to see a Jason Segal movie with the Muppets in it and cursed the film for being a slight disappointment on a level of not being the same exact tone of the last movie (while oddly not praising the better quality in editing and pacing that makes this new film work on a better level).

Now, Muppet movies or otherwise, when a movie is a slight disappointment- and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine- then it's a million times worse than a movie that's bad all around. And heck, Bad movies get more respect than good movies that are slight disappointments. That seems to be the theme. It wasn't as "good" as the last film, so it's HORRIBLE! Really? These are professionals?! I've seen more in-depth and fair reviews from amateurs.

By all means, this film was better put together, less emotionally manipulative, and didn't need a leap of faith to appreciate. I dearly do love The Muppets, but MMW was a better Muppet movie all around.

Tell me about it! Half of these reviews sounded like they came from people who have no knowledge of the history of the Muppets or even know what style Muppet movies are in general. Some were only familiar with the style of the last movie, which I think was great, but I don't want every future Muppet movie to have the same style.

I stopped reading reviews in many places. Lots of reviews practically don't say anything, and they give away the entire story. Some critics were just so cold-blooded towards this movie. It's disgusting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cold blooded, nasty reviews I can take. If they hate a movie on the merits of it being a bad movie in all aspects, then it's a fair review. The negative reviews were amateurish. Only one negative review even bothered to compare it with other Muppet Movies. And at least I can respect that. But the reviews that panned the movie for being slightly disappointing and apparently not as good as the first because it was different in tone and didn't feature the one shot characters from that one movie where their story was finished anyway... baffling. And all the more baffling from professional reviews and not some guy's blog. And I don't mean the professional critic blogs... just some guy.

I'd rather have the reviews all say the movie was awful than saying "slight disappointment." Those critics took to disappointment to a 5 year old child that didn't get one Christmas present out of like a good 6-10 that he wanted. Poorly and irrationally. They chose to base their reviews not on the merits of the film, but for the fact it was a different one than the first.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
One reviewer kept going on how Kermit and Piggy's new voices just don't sound right. Uhh....really?!

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
One reviewer kept going on how Kermit and Piggy's new voices just don't sound right. Uhh....really?!
That's mjust mean. :cry: I just don't get it, Pinkflower. Going after performers just because their voices don't sound right doesn't make it okay. In fact, that reviewer is not showing respect to those Muppeteers.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
IMO that isn't a valid reason of why a movie is bad! If you don't like the voices that's one thing but I don't think they realize how long Steve has been performing Kermit. They act like he just took on the job a few months ago.