Miss Piggy: "Heavyset" sterotype?

Ryan

Reaction score
Hi.
First off, let me just say I adore Piggy. She s definitley a fav. of mine. But sometimes when I see a certain sketch (Such as skits on Teresa Brewer ep.) I seem to feel Miss Piggy is a stereotype for heavyset people. Now, let me say, I'm not Mr. Skinny, and I seem to be a little upset by these sketches at times. I know this all sounds ridiculous, I'm just curious about other people's opinons.

BorkBork

Reaction score
By "heavyset", do you mean larger people?

Salmoto

Reaction score
Acrtually I think Piggy is a good role model for heavyset people. She still allows herself to be beautiful even though she is a pig, habits and all, and could allow herself considerably less savoir fare.

Ryan

Reaction score
Well, that's true. I never really thought of it that way. :smile:

Blind Pew

Reaction score
I concur. She's definately a glamour queen and they show how men (muppets) flock to her.
Just watch the "Boom Shakalakala" part in MTI.
(my favorite part)

Kedrick

Reaction score
While I agree that in her appearance (the glamour aspect), Piggy is a positive role model for overweight people, the fact that she is often the object of jokes about being fat sorta bothers me. In fact, that is one reason why I disliked "Muppets Tonight". One of the first episodes (if not the first) has Piggy in a "Bay of Pigs Watch" (Baywatch) skit, in which the skinny, pretty Pamela Pig comments about how a shark is attacking a whale. And that "whale" is Miss Piggy. And then another comment about how she didn't know "whales" could run as Miss Piggy dashs past. I found the humor in poor taste, and not just because my favorite Muppet was being degraded.

But I also respect that we as a culture have become WAY TOO Politically Correct and that while I may not have appreciated the jokes, others may have.

Matter of taste.

Clint

Gonzo

Reaction score
I like the bigness of Miss Piggy for a few reasons:

1) I like that she's comfortable with her size--it's not like she's on a yo-yo diet or eating at Subway all the time.

2) She's beautiful, and thinks she's beautiful, and even Floyd has to admit she's got style.

3) She sticks up for herself, and unlike some other "large" stereotypes, isn't a cowering mass that tries to fade into the background--she's gonna be a star no matter what dress size she is.

4) She's hot.

That's it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score
Piggy is a positive role model, but I wouldn't call her f-a-t (I am chubby myself, so I can say that). She's still a prominant fictional s*xual figure (along with Betty Boop and Jessica Rabbit, just not human). She is one of the pretty characters (Janice is the other). If she was a negitive role model, she'd be one of theose depressed fat women who do nothing but eat ice cream on the sofa in a sweat suit and cry to themselves. She struts her stuff, openly (Miss Piggy fasion calendars were hit sellers!!). Plus, she's a pig! It's here genes that make her that shape. Besides, if anyone calls her fat...HYYYYYYIIIIIII.......!!!!! .