Mirror Mask

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I agree with MrsPepper, the effects WERE amazing!! It's worth renting once. Just don't have something more important to watch or do.

alorindanya

Reaction score
This movie was stunning. Don't listen to those people who do not like the storyline. I think that you have to watch it more than once to catch everything because it is so fast paced. Whoever thought it went slow must just not have been paying attention to it. It isn't trippy and is quite strait forward in its themes. Maybe that's the Folklorist in me, but it was just like kany other coming of age stories.

Emeowrald

Reaction score
I'm kind of curious about it myself. The only thing that I've ever seen of MM were little toy figurines and magazine advertisements.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
IMO it was well worth my time. My sisters and my brother loved it as well.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
alorindanya said:
This movie was stunning. Don't listen to those people who do not like the storyline. I think that you have to watch it more than once to catch everything because it is so fast paced. Whoever thought it went slow must just not have been paying attention to it. It isn't trippy and is quite strait forward in its themes. Maybe that's the Folklorist in me, but it was just like kany other coming of age stories.
Maybe I'll watch it again and see what I think then.

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
That's what I did for Napoleon Dynamite. First I hated it, then I loved it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That's another one of those movies that folks say I have to watch again. The first go-round I had to stop afte 20 minutes. I felt my intelligence levels being sucked out of me.

I'll try it again one day, too.

dabauckham

Reaction score
I know no one has posted here in a while, but as a new member I wanted to state my support for MirrorMask. Yes, it's a little trippy, but so is Alice in Wonderland, and MANY other classic stories. Please give it a chance!

MM could be viewed as Labyrinth's darker twin. While it's clearly not quite the classic that Labyrinth is, and it doesn't use puppets, it does remove some of Labyrinth's campy fun for a darker, more brooding story, which makes for an interesting contrast.

IMO, this movie is worth it alone for the incredibly beautiful, bizarre "floating giants" sequence (Dave McKean does an amazing job w. effects throughout). But I find the connection between the good and dark Helena, and her good/dark mother to be very intriguing as well. In this sense, the story has some similarities to the Dark Crystal (the whole Skeksis vs. Mystics being connected thing). The theme of this movie seems very true to the Henson mission and is clearly steeped in mythology.

There's even some humor thrown in with the easily confused Gryphon (one of my favorite sequences in the movie).

This movie is creative and trying something different, and it deserves some recognition!

:smile:

dabauckham

Reaction score
Wow - I wonder why someone posted the whole movie? I guess that's a nice opportunity for people who aren't sure about it to check it out!

Thanks for the info Stix! :halo: