Minority Characters

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
See quote from previous post:

"I agree that it's not realistic to think that the show can "pacify" every single country of every continent or tiny island of every ocean, but I'm more concerned about the possibility of whether they're excluding any ethnic groups to pacify political factions."

GeeBee, the last bit of my post was not really directed to you. It was just in general. Sorry if you thought i was singling you out cuz i was not in the least.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
GeeBee, the last bit of my post was not really directed to you. It was just in general. Sorry if you thought i was singling you out cuz i was not in the least.

No offense taken. So far, I think this has just been a lively and interesting discussion. Good people can disagree.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Interesting thought.......

GeeBee said:
Some have also said that the "melting pot" may no longer be the ideal because cultures tend to lose their identity when melted. A "salad bowl" is an alternative where everyone is together, but keeps their own identity. Just a thought.
That is an interesting, (and possibly more acurate), way of describing the "melting pot" of yesterday. I like it. Back when America was forming itself, the phrase "melting pot" did have more meaning. And I do understand the need for people of any culture to keep their identity first and formost in mind. I simply refered to things the way I did to emphasize what the word "American" truely means when refering to being an American citizen, (which is also why I included the legal part). It would be the same if you were describing the word "German", or "Canadian" or resident of any other country. Like you pointed out by quoting the song "My name is you", it shouldn't be a major issue where you or your past relations are from when it comes to the eye of the people of a country. When you are a legal resident who lives in and pays taxes to any country, you automatically take on the identity of being a resident there, no mater where your family tree spreads its roots back to. And in America, we who fall under that description are, indeed, Americans.

BEAR

Reaction score
Hmm...I wonder what Sam the Eagle would say about all this.:attitude:

Rosewood

Reaction score
That depends........

BEAR said:
Hmm...I wonder what Sam the Eagle would say about all this.:attitude:
I'd ask him personaly, but if he is still busy testing the soundness and durrability of life boats, I may not be able to get ahold of him to find out.:wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I'd ask him personaly, but if he is still busy testing the soundness and durrability of life boats, I may not be able to get ahold of him to find out.:wink:
No, he came back home after that and with a toupe no doubt. Of course he lost it once he realized it looked stupid.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
First off, I like to say that Sesame Street in suppost to be represent a real inner city, New York City street,which many in New York are very diverse. Second, I'd like to say that America is even more diverse then it use to be, and I think the point that Hays was trying to make here is that, even thow you cannot possibly fit every single culture on the planet on the show, they could have some characters on the show(Like maybe a family or something) to acknowledge that this is whats happening in this country today, especally in New York.

Besides, not only is Sesame Street about change, But the show has new characters all the time. It has been noted by the people at Sesame Workshop that the show is a brand new show every year, and that the show recreates itself every three years.

While I here some people on here say that the adding on of the chacaters would take away the focus of teaching kids, I just saw the commercial with Oscar The Grouch and Maria eariler today, and Oscar said that one of the things that Sesame Street teaches kids is to respect the differences and opinions of others.

I'd also like to add that while America in no longer a melting pod, it is a mosaic. When it was a melting pot, a lot of ethnic people just simply blended in with the American way of life, where as now, people from other countries not only blend in with the way of life, but they are also able to keep and maintain the cultural Identity.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
I'd also like to add that while America in no longer a melting pod, it is a mosaic. When it was a melting pot, a lot of ethnic people just simply blended in with the American way of life, where as now, people from other countries not only blend in with the way of life, but they are also able to keep and maintain the cultural Identity.
Be it "melting pot", "tossed salad", "mosaic", or even a "melting pod": you could use a thousand different annalogies to describe America. But, when it comes right down to the bare facts, the final description is always basically the same when it comes to what America SHOULD be. The only thing that keeps America from fitting this description are people who chose to interperate its description based on their personal opinion, and people who chose to dissagree with its initial description in the first place.:attitude: This country could be a much greater and stronger place if its people could agree to set aside their personal differences when OUTSIDE of the home and place of worship, (where cultural identities and differences are based), and choose to unite as a single people; as "Americans".

Rosewood

Reaction score
You may get your wish yet

Hays said:
(I'd like to see a gay family, but I think the time has not yet come) QUOTE]

You may get your wish sooner than you think:
SS has already shown a gay couple of men with a baby on "Elmo's World", and subtley stated in doing so that this is one form of "a family".

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Hays said:
(I'd like to see a gay family, but I think the time has not yet come) QUOTE]

You may get your wish sooner than you think:
SS has already shown a gay couple of men with a baby on "Elmo's World", and subtley stated in doing so that they are a family.
Really? Which one was this?