Minority Characters

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Hays said:
This is what I'm asking. Why isn't Sesame Street willing to take the risks it used to?

It meant a lot to me when I was a little girl. I'm sure there are lots of little girls out there now who need to see what I saw on SS years ago.

Right now we've got plenty of role models for Hispanics and African-Americans. Lets see some others.
While role models can go beyound race or ethnicity, but I do understand what you mean and I do agree with you about that. Their more than one wat to be a role model, a parent for one, and a lot of ignored minoritites are making contributions in other areas. But sense so many children whach Sesame Street, the nessecary thing to do would be to add a wider range of minority characters to the show.

zanimum

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Also, there is Alan who I think is Filipino.
Actually, there's a town named Muraoka in Japan, so I think he's Japanese.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Todays Ethnic America

You know, I think that one of the most important, but least remembered, points that needs to be concidered by all leagal US citizens today is the fact that, without diversity, America would not even exist. It was the great "melting pot" of people from all parts of the world that made America what it is today. And, if you leagaly live in America, you are an "American", no matter what ethnic background or skin color you may have. When people go so far as to get offended that a certain T.V. show (like SS) is not including enough characters of a certain race, mabey it's time for a reality check on how serious this subject is getting, especially when it's going beyond just a matter of race. Sesame Street did have a major goal of encouraging ethnic diversity when they first started, and (IMO) they achieved it beyond their wildest dreams. But if SS were to attempt to pacify every minor group that came to them these days, demanding to be recognized, they would eventually have their fingers in so many pots trying to please the minorities, that their main objective (that being preparing kids for school) would soon be lost entirely. It's already headed in that direction, due to all the ethnic issues that they have already decided to take on and address. Lets not muddy the waters of SS even more than they are by pushing issues on them that, in the end, realy don't have any need of being addressed. Like someone said once "Can't we all just get along?"

Censored

Reaction score
When it comes to people from the Middle East, the question may not be whether Sesame Street has enough, but why they don't seem to have any?

I agree that it's not realistic to think that the show can "pacify" every single country of every continent or tiny island of every ocean, but I'm more concerned about the possiblilty of whether they're excluding any ethnic groups to pacify political factions.

In 1969, a similar argument could have been made that promoting racial harmony was also a distraction from preparing kids for school. The thing is that knowing how to read, write, and count does no good if one doesn't have the social skills to know how to get along in the world.

I would also hope that Sesame Street in the U.S. would never limit its diversity to only U.S. citizens. Part of the values that Sesame Street has always taught is that people are important from all over the world (something that's very important to remember).

To quote a classic segment on Sesame Street,

"I live in southern France
I'm from a Texas ranch
I come from Mecca and Peru
I live across the street
In the mountains, on a beach
I come from everywher
And my name is you"

Censored

Reaction score
Some have also said that the "melting pot" may no longer be the ideal because cultures tend to lose their identity when melted. A "salad bowl" is an alternative where everyone is together, but keeps their own identity. Just a thought.

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
You know, I think that one of the most important, but least remembered, points that needs to be concidered by all leagal US citizens today is the fact that, without diversity, America would not even exist. It was the great "melting pot" of people from all parts of the world that made America what it is today. And, if you leagaly live in America, you are an "American", no matter what ethnic background or skin color you may have. When people go so far as to get offended that a certain T.V. show (like SS) is not including enough characters of a certain race, mabey it's time for a reality check on how serious this subject is getting, especially when it's going beyond just a matter of race. Sesame Street did have a major goal of encouraging ethnic diversity when they first started, and (IMO) they achieved it beyond their wildest dreams. But if SS were to attempt to pacify every minor group that came to them these days, demanding to be recognized, they would eventually have their fingers in so many pots trying to please the minorities, that their main objective (that being preparing kids for school) would soon be lost entirely. It's already headed in that direction, due to all the ethnic issues that they have already decided to take on and address. Lets not muddy the waters of SS even more than they are by pushing issues on them that, in the end, realy don't have any need of being addressed. Like someone said once "Can't we all just get along?"
Are people actually getting offended here about this? Well, if you ask me, I think Sesame Street covers it all with their international counterparts that isn't covered in the original US series. This also just proves that you can't ever please everyone.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
What does the current human cast of Sesame Street look like today?
What I gather...
3 Blacks--Gordon, Susan, Miles.
3 Hispanics--Luis, Maria, Gabby
2 Whites--Bob, Gina
1 Asian--Alan

All these men and women also range in ages from 20 to 70. Hope this helps some.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Are people actually getting offended here about this? Well, if you ask me, I think Sesame Street covers it all with their international counterparts that isn't covered in the original US series. This also just proves that you can't ever please everyone.

It seems like the U.S. series should cover the largest variety since the only true "American culture" is that of the Native Americans.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
It seems like the U.S. series should cover the largest variety since the only true "American culture" is that of the Native Americans.

Like I said. You can never please everyone because someone will always be offended by something.

Are you saying that Sesame Street needs to have a cast member for every nationality and ethnic background? Is that really necessary? Does it bother you that there is a Black person on the show but not a person from Russia? How pc do we need to be just to make every body happy!?

I am all for racial diversity and things, but people who make huge deals about this are the same people that get in the way of teacher's trying to do their jobs.

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Like I said. You can never please everyone because someone will always be offended by something.

Are you saying that Sesame Street needs to have a cast member for every nationality and ethnic background? Is that really necessary? Does it bother you that there is a Black person on the show but not a person from Russia? How pc do we need to be just to make every body happy!?

I am all for racial diversity and things, but people who make huge deals about this are the same people that get in the way of teacher's trying to do their jobs.

See quote from previous post:

"I agree that it's not realistic to think that the show can "pacify" every single country of every continent or tiny island of every ocean, but I'm more concerned about the possibility of whether they're excluding any ethnic groups to pacify political factions."