"Mega Man" will be getting a Mega-new Mega-animated series!

Drtooth

Reaction score
While completely off topic, Funko is surprisingly showing the Blue Bomber some love with a line of the obvious Pops for those who don't want to blind box it with the KidRobot figures.

They made Dr. Wily! A step up from the long gone Sonic pops that didn't make an Eggman/Robotnik. Wily isn't exactly that under represented in MM merch, but it's nice to see his iconic villain in the first series line up, even over every Robot Master and the good Dr. Light.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that I collect/buy Funco Pops, but who else is in the lineup?

Mega Man has been somewhat mishandled when it comes to figural merch. I happen to have the small PVC figurines of Team 1 which includes Dr. Light, Proto Man, and six out of the eight Robot Masters. Missed out on the two-packs of Dr. Wily, Ice Man, Elec (spelled "Eleck") Man, and Rush.
Then last year at a local sort of con my friend and I frequent every three months when it's held, I saw some action figures that I can't identify company-wise. The figure of Bass was missing a shoulder pad, Guts Man had a left arm with a crosslike outwards plug in a left arm arm cannon (not sure why), and Magnet Man had this triangular/diagonal helmet with the top magnet pointing back away from him instead of upwards. Suffice to say I didn't buy any, but I was pleasantly surprised to have found them. Would like the PVC's over any other line though.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I believe the Gutsman you're referring to is from Mattel's Mega Man NT Warrior line up. I know, cuz I happen to have that one. I'm forever kicking myself for not getting the Retro-roto Gutsman figure produced by Jazzwares. I believe they could have been responsible for the other toys you mentioned.

The Funko line is just Mega Man, Rush, Wily, and Protoman so far. Yeah, there's a lot of characters they could have covered, but back when they had Sonic, it was just him, Knuckles, and Tails. No one else. Especially Eggman/Robotnik. Kinda wish I picked them up, though.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems weird to not have the main villain of the Sonic franchise with the heroes from the three main continuity games. At least with the short Mega Man lineup you can do a double team-up of good vs. bad guys if you're playing Proto Man as the proto (heh, unintentional pun) stand-in for Bass.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been saying for years that there's an unfair pro-anthro bias in Sonic merchandising. Luckily there have been more Eggman toys of late. Unfortunately for me, no money, so... I appreciate the effort. And HEY, Sonic Boom has Cubot and Orbot in the line as well. Hope I can find them cheap one day.

But I do remember Jazzwares' line not having a Wily, but various Robot Masters from assorted games and the main cast of Mega, Proto, and Bass. And when they did release a Wily, it was part of a playset (or rather a diorama). They had plans to rerelease the MM1 Retro Roto line with the same Wily figure separate, but never did. Luckily the KidRobot line has a better balance of characters, unfortunately they're blind box.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW: Just read that KidRobot will have a Mega Man Metallic figure as one of their 2016 SDCCI exclusives this year, priced at $15.00.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
There's something I'm going to ask here.

I know that the Dreamwave Comics had Barrage Man, Express Man, and Multi Man as featured Robot Masters (not counting that DJ Jazzy J 48950 thing); and Archie's Comics has Quake Woman and Vesper Woman.
Were there any other original comics-only Robot Masters? Need three more to complete an 8-pack team. Hope to get some replies soon. Thanks. :electric:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uhhhhmmmmm... would you want to count Garbage Man from Captain N? That's the only other one I can think of so far.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hecks no! Every single time, I try to keep the mental image of the better done Ruby Spears animated versions of the Mega Man universe characters as that's a more realistic human scale.
Because there was a Robot Master named Multi Man in the Dreamwaves comics, I almost want there to be a Coil Man and Fluid Man as well, I know you'll get that reference Drtooth.
Then again, if we're counting the Ruby Spears characters... There's the group of student bots from Light University: Cheerbot, Karatebot, Painterbot, and Quarterbot. Interestingly, Quarterbot could have become Grid Man from the Battle Network series of Robot Master-based net navis; though I'm unsure if Painterbot could be called the inspiration for Color Man (Wacko Man in the series).

Another thing that confuses me is why the Constellation Droids named for the signs of the zodiac from Rock Man Strategy are counted as part of the cannon list of Robot Masters whereas the Star Droids named for the Solar System's planets from Mega Man V (not to be confused with Mega Man 5 nor the aborted Mega Man 5 for the GBC) are not. If anything, it should be the other way around.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Also... Why exactly are Chest, Plum and Ripot from Battle and Chase considered or classified as "Robot Masters"?