Meeting Frank Oz

KingR76

Reaction score
In life we are Fortunate if we meet at least one idol from our childhood, adoloscence, adulthood someone whos onscreen persona(s) has touched a multitude of Generations from all walks of life, a person whos face may not be instantly recognisable to "some" people but their voice, their vocal talent brings wiht it a multitude of memories of characters that are known globally.

For as far back as I can remember I've always been a Fan of the Muppets (I'm 35) and one of my earliest childhood memories is seeing the Muppet Show on television as the years went on I saw glimpses of the funny men and women who had their hands controlling these lovely Animals/Creatures/Amphibians lol and this excited me even more, I'd watch in awe the making of fraggle rock, the Muppet Show, Inside the Labyrinth, Making of Dark Crystal and see this all put together - and as a Star Wars fan seeing the creatures from the Saga (including Yoda) brought to life.

It had always been an ambition (which I thought would only ever be like a pipe dream or like winning billions on the lottery) to meet a Muppet Performer but knew that wasnt going to be very likely, for example living in England? Etc.

A few months ago a Friend of mine informed me that a play that was starting in London was being Directed by... Not some hardly unknown Director cutting his/her teeth after graduating from film school, nor an obscure Director thats been responsible for Arthouse projects... BUT by *Cue Animal drum roll please* Frank Oz. I freaked out thinking that this ambition of meeting a Muppet Performer was going to happen... And not just "A" Muppet Performer but "THE" Muppet Performer.

So not quite sure what to expect I travelled up to London quite early and saw Frank on his way into the Theatre... My Heart skipped several beats and was "Oh my God" as I approached him he was happy to sign my Star Wars Blu Ray, Of Muppets and Men, and Season 2 and 3 DVD and of course personalised and then he posed for the all important Picture and one I will forever cherish

Frank Oz was a truly lovely and kind man and is one of those encounters that I will never forget.

haakonsmary

Reaction score
Wow, that's great! He sounds very generous to sign all that stuff. :smile:

KingR76

Reaction score
To me he was really lovely, very chatty and was concerned about the pen I gave him (I know it sounds silly but I cherish that pen seeing its been used by Frank) might rub off, he kept telling me to be careful.

I approached him as a Fan and I'm sure he realised this with the way my innerchild came out, didnt expect him to be that generous either the first thing I brought out was the 3 day old from release "Star Wars Blu Ray" and he seemed very impressed seeing the very Rowlf-eared hardback of "Muppets and Men." it was whilst he was signing I asked him if it would be ok for him to Sign Season 2 and 3 DVD of the Muppet Show, if he'd of said "No" I would have been fine with that, the fact he was ok with it was beyond epicness.

That is a day and indeed a meeting and a moment I will never forget.