MC's "Search" feature

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone feels about the "search" option for the forum. I used to love the advanced search options, but when I tried looking for the old thread "Where Are They Now", I encountered some problems. First off, I knew from the past that the search engine won't look for words that are 3 letters or less, that's fine with me (there are some forums that won't search words with four letters or less!), but now MC's search feature said it won't look up words like "where" and "they" because they're "too common". I understand limiting complexity for bandwidth purposes, and I'm certainly not bashing MC's new forum options (which for the most part I really enjoy), just wondering if anyone else has encountered this and/or if I should be doing something differently. :smile:

F

furryredmonster

I search for threads on occasion, and very rarely did I find what I was looking for :frown:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Yeah, it is hard to use...I don't know if it has the same limitations on "Thread title"?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I used it on "thread title" and "search entire posts" as well. It used to be really really good. I could find any thread I was looking for. Just glad to see I'm not the only one.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So Vic, is your biggest complaint the omission of common words like "where", "they" etc.? If we were to lift the "common word" limit would that improve the system for you or would there be other changes you'd like to see made?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Oh please don't take it as a complaint, I just didn't know if there was something I should be doing differently. The "common word" ommission makes it a little more difficult I admit, but most people use common words (hence why they're common! :wink: ) so I guess that it's easier to lose old threads for that reason.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll look into some options for eliminating "common words" and see if it's feasible to include those in searches as well.

As always, thanks for the feedback.