MCC Laserdisc

AnthonyF3

Reaction score
I finally got me a laserdisc player (No Star Wars on DVD? I no longer care!) and I officially made Muppet Christmas Carol my first laserdisc purchase. With the DVD coming out only in fullscreen, I figured I might as well pick up a widescreen LD while the getting was good (10 bucks with shipping! You have to love out of date formats.) Anyway, I thought that was pretty cool.

Crazy, Man

Zoot

I feel so old school saying that again.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to get the widescreen Muppet Treasure Island laserdisc if you can. Who knows when the widescreen version will eventually come to DVD.

gymkatarules

Reaction score
I got me a laserdisc player last month. They rock! It's the only way to get my favorite film ever (The Hill...find it and see it). Also got Babe (only way to get widescreen), and I've been hunting for Muppet Christmas Carol. I'd like Hey, Cinderella, too, but they don't pop up on ebay as often as I'd like.

Laserdisc rocks. That's all there is to it.

And Disney sucks for releasing full-frame only. It's not that hard to include two transfers, especially when the widescreen transfers already exist for the laserdisc releases. It's just cheap. Laserdisc had at least a little integrity, I guess.

-Chris

anathema

Reaction score
The widescreen transfers used for the laserdiscs are letterboxed, and wouldn't be any use in producing a proper widescreen DVD. Plus, they'd have to be redone for the European market as there was never a laserdisc release over here so far as I know, and a US-format transfer would not be of acceptable quality :smile:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the UK DVD releases of the two films (when they happen) will be done properly. Widescreen TV sets are much less common and popular in the US than in Europe, so it may be that Disney simply didn't perceive enough of a market for the widescreen version in the US, but might think differently for Europe.

AnthonyF3

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. I know. Widescreen TV's and stuff. But I'm still living in 4X3 land, so I'm cool with it.

Crazy, Man

Zoot

Maybe I should start signing my name Anthony . . .