Material Permission question

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I have a question about puppet material in general. Say if I wanted to make a puppet and sell it or puppets for a profit film, I don't need to contact the material companies to ask permission to use the material to create a puppet right? As long as the material doesn't have a pattern on it, it should be alright, right? I'm just curious about copyright laws on fabrics and foam and stuff like that.

Slackbot

Reaction score
You don't need to get permission from the maker of a fabric or other raw craft material to use their product any more than you would need the permission of a paint manufactuerer to sell a painting you made with their paint. You're safe.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Same goes with Duct Tape right? I remember during a rough year I had to use duct tape for some of my projects. Because patents are different right?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Same principle. It is sold to be used. When you buy it, you buy the rights to use it as you see fit.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
How about in terms of film, say if I'm making a direct to DVD puppet movie, would it still be the same principle regardless? Even in terms of distribution like a film festival film or something like that?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes. And while we're at it, you don't have to get permission from the paper manufacturer to print a book on it.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Oh okay then. Thanks again for answering my question. I know it kind of sounds like a ridiculous one but in a modern world where anything seems to be copyright infrigment, I like to be as cautious as I can. :smile: