Maria's trip to Puerto Rico: the other episodes?

ISNorden

Reaction score
I recently traded a copy of #1316 to one of my online friends, explaining that it was the only part of Maria's trip that made it into Sesame Street Unpaved. He was curious about the rest of the story, and wondered whether anybody here has the other Puerto Rico episodes from the time they originally aired. I know it's a long shot--but if any of you can help, we'd both appreciate it a lot. Thanks so much!

sesameguy

Reaction score
I don't have the episodes, but I'll share what I can remember about them.

There was actually an hour-long PBS special featuring many scenes from the series. It aired later in the evening a few days before the season began. It included most of what you see in 1316.

The series was about a week long, like the Hawaii and New Mexico episodes. It was notable for the first appearance of Oswaldo, the Puerto Rican grouch who became friends with Oscar. It featured Bob singing a song called "The Plaza," most of which I can not recall, but it was a nice song! I think the song was also featured in the PBS special.

Two cute moments:

Big Bird hears a small chirping sound. The kids bring a small frog to him and explain that the little frog, called a "ko-key" was making the noise. Big Bird says something like, "I can't wait to tell Kermit the frog about this!"

Oscar asks Oswaldo if he could tell him what the Spanish word for "no" is. Oswaldo replies "no." Oscar says, "Why can't you tell me?" Oscar asks several other people the same question, always with the same reply: "No." He learns much to his embarrassment that "no" is the same in both languages. "No!" Oscar says. :smile:

ISNorden

Reaction score
Thanks for filling me in on those details; I'll pass your reply on to my friend!