Marcia Wallace voice of Edna Krabappel passes away

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
They are planning to kill a character off obviously, it's going to be a secret until the episode airs. Whoever it winds up being, it's probably going to wind up a minor player for the sake of an episode plotline. I can't imagine them killing Sideshow Bob off permanently. The thing that's actually chilling is that they mentioned Edna in the article, and this was reported a while ago.

Of the three main cast members who died, the problem lies in what they're going to do with Edna. While Lionel Hutz and Troy MacClure are quite missed and Doris was eventually recast, they weren't major players in the series. Edna is Bart's fourth grade teacher, and a lot of the show's humor and tension stems from Bart's school room antics. Also unfortunate is her role was actually expanding in the show up to this point. While it is respectful to retire the character, ultimately the better option is to recast her so the legacy of the character lives on and to continue the show's major characters.

To be honest, I believe recasting is the best way to continue than retiring. This is the first time I heard the sad news of a Simpsons cast member after Muppeteer Jerry Nelson passed away last year.

Edna Krabappel does remind me of my fifth grade teacher when I was in fifth grade. She was crabby, had a dislike to some students, and to be honest she had a dislike in me since I tried to be smart.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Edna Krabappel does remind me of my fifth grade teacher when I was in fifth grade. She was crabby, had a dislike to some students, and to be honest she had a dislike in me since I tried to be smart.
At least Edna had some good in her deep down, like her love towards Skinner and Ned along with her determination to help Bart succeed (at least early on). Miss Hoover, on the other hand, was a lot more jaded and nasty compared to her, as Drtooth said on the thread about the dance instructor segment on SST.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Al Jean confirmed that Edna was NOT the one that was gonna pass away. Although, and I know it's a cartoon, I feel REALLY bad for Ned because this is his 2nd wife to leave(First one died, and now Edna is "retired".) It would be interesting to see how they handle this. They're gonna have to explain it SOMEHOW, it's not like Marvin Monroe, or Jacques from the Bowling episode, this is a MAJOR character who appeared in over 100 episodes. People are gonna notice that she's gone. It would be interesting in the next 5-6 months(The time it takes between episodes from start to finish) to see how they take care of it.
I also enjoyed her on the Bob Newhart show. Her smart alleck remarks and her chemistry with the cast kind of help make that show.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
At least Edna had some good in her deep down, like her love towards Skinner and Ned along with her determination to help Bart succeed (at least early on). Miss Hoover, on the other hand, was a lot more jaded and nasty compared to her, as Drtooth said on the thread about the dance instructor segment on SST.
Other than Edna being a deeper, richer character anyway, she seems to at least sort of like the students that don't act up. Depending on the writer Martin's either the teacher's pet or an annoying sycophant that she sort of tolerates. Hoover hates everybody. Ralph, Lisa... I'd say others but they don't show the second grade enough. As for Bart and Mrs. K, it does have a wonderful friendly rivals relationship. A currentish episode where Lisa was being bullied by her teacher, Edna suggested that they just sick Bart on her. It's a much more layered version of the Bart/Skinner bit. Skinner gets picked on for laughs, but once in a while Bart does come through.

But yeah... My teachers were like either Miss Hoover or that Kindergarten teacher Bart had in that one episode.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The sad irony is that the Simpsons writers confirmed they're going to kill off one of the characters. It'll be a shame if they have to get rid of Edna. Ned lost a wife already. Really, I feel sorry for the character. Lost wife, the writers keep turning him into a caricature of their annoyance with the Christian Right.... I was very much PRO Nedna.

Really? I recently heard that one of the main characters from Family Guy is going to die this season.

I've also heard rumors that the show is going to end soon. Maybe they should just end the show now. There's more than enough episodes for syndication. And if the show ends, they can put it in reruns on cable.

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember watching the Simpsons episodes where we look into the future, it showed Homer setting a teenage Bart up with Edna, which means she might be single again.

And in another episode of the future, Ned said that Homer accidentally killed Edna, so he married Maude's ghost.

I wonder if those two plots will tie in with retiring Edna?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And in another episode of the future, Ned said that Homer accidentally killed Edna, so he married Maude's ghost.

I don't remember seeing that, but it sounds like a Halloween story. I can't remember if I've missed any (besides the last one) but the Halloween episodes are not cannon.