Major Family Guy Character Killed Off

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm not a fan Family Guy fan at all, but I don't understand what the big deal is. I understand there are a lot of fans out there, but give it a rest, people!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of FAMILY GUY either (or, really, any adult cartoon for that matter), but I AM aware of some of the behind-the-scenes drama that seem to plague it, and I'm almost guessing that killing off Brian is probably some kind of passive aggressive stunt Seth is pulling to get the message across that FG needs to be put to rest already.

It's not too far-fetched; I've heard of other stories where creators/producers want to put an capper on their shows, but networks wouldn't let them, so they would start sabotaging their own shows to get them canceled. Heck, in M*A*S*H's case, CBS kept renewing the show year after year because they didn't want to lose it, despite the cast and crew growing tired, running out of story ideas, and wanting the war to end, and so basically, just about the entire cast and crew went to CBS and said enough already, let it end, so finally, their eleventh season turned out to be their last, with the humongous series finale and everything.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
That's the case with Spongebob. I read somewhere that the movie was meant to be a series finale. But Nickelodeon waned more episodes, then the show's creator left and after the third season and the movie, the show began to go downhill.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know I should feel bad, but all I can think of is how many seasons ago the whole show should have died. Also, it aggravates me how weird people are getting about it; there's even a change.org petition to bring him back. Talk about first world problems...:rolleyes:
I liked the first couple seasons of the revival, but once they started pandering to the "gamers" and the humor slipped to "everyone's nasty to each other" and "Peter acts like a 3 year old" the show suffered greatly.

However, I'm not mourning Brian's death so much as I'm mourning the loss of the only good episodes they make anymore. The Brian and Stewie "Road To" episodes where they actually write the episodes and not pile on tiresome jokes that were barely funny when the show came back.

If there was one character they should have killed off, it's Meg. The "Let's all be mean to Meg" jokes haven't been funny since the show's, like, ...ever. But that would be obvious and they wanted to "shake things up." I think they want to sabotage the show so the thing can finally end.

mr3urious

Reaction score
As much as Brian devolved from a snarky alcoholic to an obnoxious liberal mouthpiece, I was saddened by his death. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he were revived when the show finally comes to an end.

I do like the new dog Vinny, though. He's a reasonably sympathetic character who doesn't come across as an overly offensive Italian-American stereotype.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As much as Brian devolved from a snarky alcoholic to an obnoxious liberal mouthpiece, I was saddened by his death. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he were revived when the show finally comes to an end.
The funny thing is that Family Guy became a means to vent against Bush Era policies and the people who elected them, American Dad started losing it's political edge and became a superior program and almost what Family Guy used to be.

As for Brian, they thankfully stopped using him to rant and started giving the character some real development and making him a hypocritical loser that was really acting out of feelings of insignificance. As much as I disliked the episode with Rush Limbaugh (not so much that he was on the show as several critical assessments of how the episode went... plus it ruined the joke about he was a character created by Fred Savage which was brilliant), I liked that they made Brian a conservative just to say that he only chooses political sides to sound like the smartest guy in the room.

And it figures they made the character good again and killed him.