Major Changes in store for Sesame Street Season 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there's one change I have to admit I really do like, it's that having more of the name characters move onto the actual street. Well, at least Elmo and Cookie. Long conversation short, only Ernie, Bert, Big Bird and Oscar (living in a trash can as he does) live directly on the street. No doubt the other characters live near by and like to visit/frequent the street. Snuffy has his cave, The Count has his castle that's somehow in New York and close by. But you never see where everyone else lives.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
All this talk of removing Big Bird's doors is essentially removing his privacy, it just now donned on me that that's perhaps the biggest issue in removing the doors - even the 40 Years book brings up the fact that the doors, while being a product of the 60s and being spruced up with brighter paint over the years, offer Big Bird the privacy he needs.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well they must be thinking now that since he is just a bird how much privacy does he really need?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Think he should at least have a shower curtain, anyway.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I'm not happy with the overhaul of the set, but then again, I'm not in the age demographic nor watching the show regularly anymore. My biggest problem honestly was I didn't see the drawing of Mr. Hooper that's hung in Big Bird's nest area throughout all the current seasons as a tribute to Will Lee. I hope that's still incorporated somewhere in his nest area, maybe just didn't see it in these pictures that were released of the set.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I'm not happy with the overhaul of the set, but then again, I'm not in the age demographic nor watching the show regularly anymore. My biggest problem honestly was I didn't see the drawing of Mr. Hooper that's hung in Big Bird's nest area throughout all the current seasons as a tribute to Will Lee. I hope that's still incorporated somewhere in his nest area, maybe just didn't see it in these pictures that were released of the set.
I realized that as well, but I just thought that I was not looking in the right place, or something. I think out of all the changes that would be the one that would bother me the most as well. I mean Big Bird learning about death was very important not just for Big Bird, but for the shows history as well.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Mr. Hooper's picture is still there; it's atop one of his cabinets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I gotta admit, I'm not happy with the overhaul of the set, but then again, I'm not in the age demographic nor watching the show regularly anymore.
I admit I'm fifty fifty for that reason exactly. I technically shouldn't be watching the show outside of online clips. And the kids watching the show will either be just old enough to realize something's different or just starting to watch the show, so everything's new to them. The show really has like a couple years turn around, and the only ones who really would care about change are too old to be the demo, unless they're parents watching with kids. And if I want to be a complete butt and point out all our ages, these are parents that (and feel free to stop reading if you don't want to go into an age funk) grew up with Elmo's World in the series. (okay, see, my birthday's in a few days and I'm going through some really emotional stuff about it, to say the least the realization of the age I'm getting has driven me almost mad, so this is pretty much me freaking out and venting, not trying to be a jerk or anything).

Anyway, It's natural for a street to change over time. And to Sesame's credit, they have emulated what happens to an innercity street to a freaking T! I grew up in a weird not quite suburb, not quite urban area (a subsuburb?!) I mean, you could walk to places, but it wasn't a big Boston/New York like city. Like there were buildings that only got as big as 3 floors maybe 4. It was never a gritty, dirty place, but years and years after I moved Yuppies flooded it and the rent went the heck up. And yes... cupcake freaking shops! Little artisan stupid places that Yuppies hang out. I'd like to think that everyone on Sesame Street is doing well enough to still live there, and that Hoopers would sell cupcakes if it wasn't for the preapproved healthy snack food movement (Cookie Monster got grandfathered in at least). I'm sure getting rid of the doors (again, real life subtext) would make those property values jump up even more. The street got much cleaner after time, as most streets get. I'm more annoyed with the constant Yoga based inserts.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I admit I'm fifty fifty for that reason exactly. I technically shouldn't be watching the show outside of online clips. And the kids watching the show will either be just old enough to realize something's different or just starting to watch the show, so everything's new to them. The show really has like a couple years turn around, and the only ones who really would care about change are too old to be the demo, unless they're parents watching with kids. And if I want to be a complete butt and point out all our ages, these are parents that (and feel free to stop reading if you don't want to go into an age funk) grew up with Elmo's World in the series. (okay, see, my birthday's in a few days and I'm going through some really emotional stuff about it, to say the least the realization of the age I'm getting has driven me almost mad, so this is pretty much me freaking out and venting, not trying to be a jerk or anything).

Anyway, It's natural for a street to change over time. And to Sesame's credit, they have emulated what happens to an innercity street to a freaking T! I grew up in a weird not quite suburb, not quite urban area (a subsuburb?!) I mean, you could walk to places, but it wasn't a big Boston/New York like city. Like there were buildings that only got as big as 3 floors maybe 4. It was never a gritty, dirty place, but years and years after I moved Yuppies flooded it and the rent went the heck up. And yes... cupcake freaking shops! Little artisan stupid places that Yuppies hang out. I'd like to think that everyone on Sesame Street is doing well enough to still live there, and that Hoopers would sell cupcakes if it wasn't for the preapproved healthy snack food movement (Cookie Monster got grandfathered in at least). I'm sure getting rid of the doors (again, real life subtext) would make those property values jump up even more. The street got much cleaner after time, as most streets get. I'm more annoyed with the constant Yoga based inserts.
Yeah, I mean I don't want to criticize too much, for the simple fact I thank goodness every day the show is still on, kids still know these characters especially with the other competition out there in this day and age. I guess it's just "not what I'm used to" and I was never good with massive change in general, so maybe just seeing the street I remember over the years look almost completely different just bums me out. I would maybe also appreciate the updates more if I was watching daily with kids (which I don't have).

Status
Not open for further replies.