Magical Moments (A One Shot Christmas Story)

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yeah, I know it's Thanksgiving tomorrow, but I've been in a Christmas mood, so I wrote this one shot because I've always wanted to write a Christmas story. It's based on one of my all time favorite Christmas stories, I think you'll recognize it. Also, it's a Rowlf and Wanda story. So, consider it a VERY early Christmas present, or just a Thanksgiving present and enjoy!

It was the week before Christmas and all through the Muppet Theatre the creatures were stirring quite a bit as the big holiday show was quickly approaching.

Scooter was hurridly running around giving out last minute notes to everyone from Kermit.

Piggy was begging Kermit to change her wardrobe for the final number so she could wear the sparkly poofy dress she wanted to instead of the same costume as everyone else.

Rizzo and Pepe were arguing over which actress would make a hotter holiday elf.

Gonzo was carefully rehearsing his big number where he would play Jingle Bells on the Dulcimer while balancing on a flaming Christmas tree while chugging egg nog.

Now Kermit was quickly looking for the fire extinguisher after Gonzo discovered that egg nog was flammable.

Rowlf however was not working on anything for the big show. He was sitting at the piano, but he was lost in thought. And he was depressed.

He wanted to get his fiancé, Wanda the Cat something really special for their first Christmas together and he had the perfect gift in mind. The problem is, he had no money. Christmas was in a few short days and he didn’t know what to do.

A couple of weeks before he and Wanda had been walking together and she showed him a charm she had of a small heart, but that she had no chain for. It was the last thing she had that she knew was from her mother.

“I carry it with me all the time,” she said so that she’d know her mother was always with her since she didn’t know if her mother was even still alive or where she was.

At that moment Rowlf knew that he needed to get Wanda a chain so she could wear it around her neck instead of carrying it her pockets or inside of her shoe when she wore dresses that had no pockets. Then she’d never lose it.

But, now it was two weeks later and he had no idea where he’d get the money for the type of chain this charm deserved. They, like most of the Muppets, barely had a penny to their name, even though the Muppets were enjoying reasonable success at the moment. Every bit they had they were saving for their wedding.

“What am I going to do????” said Rowlf out loud and banged his head down on the piano.

Upstairs in her dressing room, Wanda should’ve been practicing her rendition of “Sleigh Ride” that she’d be singing in the holiday show. Instead, she was sitting at her dressing table sighing every now and then.

She had a wonderful idea for Rowlf’s Christmas gift and no way of paying for it. After Rowlf’s brother Moe went home to Minnesota, his family sent him a wonderful portable keyboard so when he traveled back and forth from the theatre to his family he’d always be able to play music. However, they did not give him a carrying case for it.

Wanda found a beautiful carrying case with a strap that would make for very easy travel whether it was by bus, train or plane. But, she was saving all she had for the wedding and of course paying her fair share to live with the Muppets even though Kermit insisted she didn’t have to.

Camilla noticed Wanda sitting at the table and came up behind her.

“Bawk?” she asked while signing “What’s wrong?”

“Oh Camilla, I have this wonderful gift to give Rowlf and I don’t know how I’m going to afford it!” exclaimed Wanda to her friend.

“Bawk bawk,” said Camilla and put her wing around Wanda telling her she understood.

Kermit heard Rowlf at the piano and ran over to see what the trouble was.

“Well Kermit, I’ve got this gift I want to give Wanda and I don’t have enough money to get it for her,” said Rowlf.

“Would you like an advance on your salary, I know the show isn’t until tomorrow but I can give it to you now,” said Kermit.

“Thanks Kermit, but I need to save that money for the wedding. I want to give her the best wedding ever, you know that,” said Rowlf.

“Well, I’ll think of what we can do. There’s that pawn shop in town you know. Maybe we can find something there,” said Kermit.

“Good idea, thanks buddy,” said Rowlf.

“Anytime. Now I hate to bug you but I need you onstage for rehearsal,” said Kermit.

“Oh! Right away!” exclaimed Rowlf and hurried off.

Janice came into Wanda’s dressing room.

“Like, Camilla filled me in on your dilemma and like I think I’ve got a solution,” said Janice.

“Really? What’s that?” asked Wanda.

“Head over to that Pawn Shop in town. The guy who runs it, Phil something or another, he’d probably be able to help you,” said Janice.

“That’s a great idea! Oh thank you Janice!” said Wanda and hurried off to practice for the show.

The holiday show was a huge success the following day in fact, it was a sold out standing room only crowd.

Now that the show was over, preparations at the Boarding House began for the Muppets to celebrate the holidays. Christmas was now just four days away.

Rowlf got up extra early the day after the show and headed to the pawn shop. He didn’t want to do what he was about to do, but he had to for Wanda.

“How can I help you?” asked Phil when Rowlf walked through the door.

“I’m hoping you’ll have a really nice chain that I can give my fiancé for Christmas. See, she has this special charm, so I need a special necklace to go with it,” said Rowlf.

“I see,” said Phil.

“I have this to trade in,” said Rowlf hauling his keyboard up onto the counter.

“Wow, this is a nice keyboard. It will make a fine trade, but are you sure?” said Phil.

“Positive,” said Rowlf.

“Well, I do have just the type of chain I imagine you’re looking for,” said Phil reaching behind and grabbing a stunning sterling silver chain.

“That’s perfect!” exclaimed Rowlf.

“Now are you sure about the keyboard?” asked Phil.

“Well, I do a lot of traveling so it’s nice to have portable music and it was a gift from my family, but my fiancé is very important to me. So, yes, I’m very sure,” said Rowlf.
“All right, here you go,” said Phil handing the chain over. Rowlf only looked back once as he headed away from the shop.

“I know this will make her happy and that’s all that matters,” said Rowlf to himself and proceeded back to the Boarding House.

Not more than 15 minutes later Wanda bundled herself up and made her way to the Pawn Shop.

“Can I help you?” asked Phil making his way to the front after taking Rowlf’s keyboard to the back of the shop.

“Yes or, well I hope you can. My fiancé, he’s a musician and he’s got this really nice keyboard and I saw a carrying case for it that I really couldn’t afford, so I’m hoping to maybe get one here?” said Wanda nervously.

“Maybe like that one over there?” asked Phil pointing to a great carrying case complete with a handle and a shoulder strap.

“That’s it! That’s just like the one I saw!” exclaimed Wanda running over to it.

“What do you have to trade?” asked Phil hesitantly. He had a feeling where this was going.

“This charm. It’s quite old; I got it from my mother years ago. I usually carry it in my pocket or purse and I’m afraid I’ll lose it someday anyway. I never did get a chain for it and probably won’t,” said Wanda handing it to Phil.

“It’s lovely. Are you sure though?” asked Phil.

“Yes. Please. My fiancé has made my life so much better, it would just mean so much for me to give him a really great Christmas present,” said Wanda.

“Ok,” said Phil.

Wanda happily grabbed the carrying case and left the store. She only paused briefly outside.

“I’m sorry Mama,” she said sadly and made the trek in the snow back to the Boarding House.

A hippiesh looking figure with a gray beard stood watching as she walked away. He had seen Rowlf too.

“Such a nice couple. That is really true love,” he said to himself as he walked away.

Wanda arrived home and quickly ran past Rowlf’s room.

“Wanda?” he called hearing her walk by.

“I’ll be right back!” she said and quickly ran to her and Camilla’s room.

“Bawk bawk?” clucked Camilla as she signed to Wanda asking if she found the gift.

“Yep, here it is,” said Wanda tossing it on to her bed.

“Bawwww,” sighed Camilla. She could see how much Wanda must love Rowlf.

Down the hall Kermit popped into Rowlf’s room.

“Well, did you find one?” asked Kermit.

“Sure did, see right here,” said Rowlf pulling the chain out of its bag.

“Wow! That’s almost as great as the ring you got her,” said Kermit.

“Well, she is pretty special to me,” said Rowlf.

“Um Rowlf?” asked Kermit when he noticed Rowlf’s portable keyboard was missing.

“Yeah I know,” said Rowlf reading his friend’s mind.

“Well, as long as you’re happy. Now I’ve got to go get something for Piggy that she won’t want to exchange or I’ll be risking a karate chop on Christmas morning,” laughed Kermit and left Rowlf’s room.

Christmas Eve was spent around the fire, watching home movies, watching Animal destroy them as usual, drinking hot chocolate, wondering what the horrible smells the Swedish Chef was producing and finally, their annual Carol sing.

Wanda snuggled up with Rowlf and found herself getting really excited to exchange Christmas presents with him.

She was so excited that when everyone else went to sleep she went and shook Rowlf awake.

“Let’s exchange now!” she said.

“Aren’t you cute, you’re like a little kid,” said Rowlf.

So, they made their way down to the tree that was still lit up and looked beautiful in the darkness.

Wanda pulled a large wrapped gift from the back of the tree while Rowlf pulled a smaller one from near the front.

They looked at each other with anticipation and giggled.

“You go first,” said Rowlf.

“All right,” said Wanda and opened the box revealing the beautiful silver chain.

“Oh my! This is gorgeous!” she exclaimed.

“I knew you’d like it. I thought you could put that charm from your mother on it and could wear it always,” said Rowlf.

Wanda started to frown a little.

“My charm…” she said quietly.

“Yeah! Where is it? Up in your room? Let’s see it on there,” said Rowlf excitedly.

Wanda knew she had to stall him somehow.

“Um sure, in a minute, but you didn’t open your present yet and you really should open yours now,” said Wanda.

“Oh, no problem!” exclaimed Rowlf and tore into the large package.

“What do you think?” asked Wanda as Rowlf stared at it.

“It’s great,” said Rowlf.

“Now you won’t damage the keyboard when you go on trips to Minnesota and back!” said Wanda.

“Right,” said Rowlf.

“I hope it fits in there. Maybe you should go get it and see,” said Wanda.

“Yeah, see the thing is,” Rowlf started to say when they were interrupted by a soft knock at the door.

“Who would be here at this time of night?” asked Wanda.

“Santa?” questioned Rowlf and got up to see.

When he opened the door there were two gifts shaped about the same size as the gifts he and Wanda had just exchanged with a note.

“To some very special friends, I hope that these continue to bring each of you happiness,” it said.

The larger gift had Rowlf’s name on it and the smaller one had Wanda’s.

“What in the world?” asked Rowlf.

“Well bring them in here,” said Wanda.

“Should we open them?” asked Rowlf.

“I don’t see why not,” said Wanda.

They each opened their gifts slowly.

“My keyboard!” exclaimed Rowlf at the same time Wanda shouted “my charm!”

They exchanged looks when they realized what was going on.

“I didn’t want to spend our wedding money so I went to the pawn shop,” said Rowlf.

“I know, me too,” said Wanda.

They smiled at each other realizing just how much they meant to each other and that nothing for the rest of their lives would equal the magic of this moment.

“So, who do you think brought these back to us? That Phil guy?” asked Wanda.

“No, I think it was someone very special,” said Rowlf as he looked to the window and saw a shadow of a familiar bearded person. As soon as he saw it, it disappeared, but it didn’t matter. Rowlf knew he was always with them.

“Who?” asked Wanda who obviously didn’t see.

“Just a friend,” said Rowlf pulling Wanda in for a cuddle and a kiss. It was without a doubt, the best Christmas ever.

Happy holidays Muppet Central!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
AWWWWWWWWWWWW! <bounces happily>

...<giggles> I don't feel so guilty for singing Christmas carols now! :stick_out_tongue:

A lovely, LOVELY story, Beth! I especially like that familiar bearded figure. <Wink> Very well done!

BEAR

Reaction score
I know I always say this, but I am really going to try and keep up with the stories, starting with this one. That is my vow, because I love all of you guys' stories and you are all so talented. I want to keep supporting you. If I ever slip in my commenting, let me know. Beth, I will start with this one and I know I will love it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Bry, if you need a reading list, just LMK as I have them all organized in my personal collection.

Beth... What to say... Will definitely owe you a good detailed review with plenty of names and the such.
But what I want to say now is... Rully loved this one-shot story. And I'm anticipating that 4th Rowlf Story with the wedding even more now.

Thank you for the lovely gift of fanfiction, have a great night.

BEAR

Reaction score
The Count said:
Hey Bry, if you need a reading list, just LMK as I have them all organized in my personal collection.
Would you really do that for me, Ed? That would be fantastic! Thank you!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. Seeing as how I have the list from when I was resubscribing to them all... Only missing Bo's stories, though I have the titles to some, and you can ask him for the rest.
Just LMK and I'll send you the reading list via PM. Have a great Thanksgiving everybodeeeeeeeeeee!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I'm so sorry I didn't get to this sooner! I tried, but sometimes my computer has different ideas of what I should be doing with my time.
:wink: aAnyway, it was beautiful! Gotta love those heart-warming Christmas one-shots, and I really do love Rowlf and Wanda! It may not be right, but I like them much more than Kermit and Piggy, who are an established couple!
:embarrassed:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Aww, thanks guys! And it's ok to like them more than Kermit and Piggy Kate. I'll let you in on a secret. That's kind of why I created them. I wanted a couple I could relate to a little more and an even bigger secret is, I based Wanda alot on myself. Rowlf reminds me of my husband, except that my husband isn't musical in anyway. But the puns, the wisdom and laid backness, totally my Nate. :smile: So there you go. Ushy gushy goodness abounds.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Beth... That review I mentioned? Will have to wait, I'm gonna take a power nap after eating lunch with my family.
But I want you to know that this was a great little story, nourishment for the souls. And I hope this leads to that 4th Rowlf Story regarding the wedding.

Also want to talk to you about developing something for my own projects, but that can keep till we're both online somewhat later today.

Thanks for the story and have a great Thanksgiving!

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
A beautiful little interepation of "The Tale of the Magi" Wonderful! That story never goes out of style, Beth. Awesome job!