Luke's Muppet Year In Review 2002

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
Man, Bear is really ending? Along with Farscape and the UK shows? Gees, funny how the Classic Muppets are getting more attention but their relatives are getting laid off. Guess things weren't as rosy as we thought.
Guess not - the interest in the classic Muppets won't be as intense in the first quarter of this year due to the anniversary being over and most guest bookers probably getting sick to death of them by now. The Muppets Fox Show is the only thing officially on the horizon, we've not heard if there'll be any future interest from NBC yet. It all kinda hinges on whatever attention they get around the time the show airs and whatever stuff the new owners cook up - they don't really have any excuse to go out on the promotional circuit between now and then.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
they don't really have any excuse to go out on the promotional circuit between now and then.
they don't need an excuse, they are the Muppets. The 25th annv thing ran out at the end of 2001...they dont need an agle or a gimmick. Yes, with Bear floundering it seemes, Farscape cancelled...whats a fan to do? At least the Fox show is a go for later this year. We need *something*, we need relief...

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
We use it in the UK as a shorter version of learned - or um at least i do .....

hey we use that in Oklahoma too...but when we say it were all a bunch of hicks...when you guys say it it sounds sophisticated...
weird:rolleyes:

Sarah

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Totally laughing at that comment (from Texas). LOL!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
they don't need an excuse, they are the Muppets.
Having booked Muppets myself i can say that line doesn't wash - as a celebrity booker you have to please the producer and they hate repeat booking of guests...... unless it's a game show - they take anyone. I think even the Muppets need an angle, lets face it, they spent the whole of the last year or more working one !

beaker

Reaction score
Having booked Muppets myself i can say that line doesn't wash - as a celebrity booker you have to please the producer and they hate repeat booking of guests...... unless it's a game show - they take anyone. I think even the Muppets need an angle, lets face it, they spent the whole of the last year or more working one !
Wait...*YOU* have booked the Muppets in the UK!?!? Really?
cooolness. Just be glad ya dont work for the dubya dubya eff anymore. I saw a little of Smackdown for the first time in eons last night, and my goodness. I cant see how anyone could watch this garbage...so far from how it used to be.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Wait...*YOU* have booked the Muppets in the UK!?!? Really?
cooolness.
Yeah i booked Kermit for a show a few years ago - not that i got to see much of it. I don't do that kinda stuff anymore but i've advised other bookers on getting them too.

I agree about the WWE/F - i worked on their UK tour in 1997 and it was just starting to get really lame then, i think it was one of 'The Rocks' first appearances and the main events were a Bret Hart/Undertaker/Mankind kinda thing. They were lovely people backstage though - we used to play a kind of baseball game. I really enjoyed the earlier WWF stuff though, there was much more of an atmosphere about it. I must get some classic videos and things asap !

beaker

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the earlier WWF stuff though, there was much more of an atmosphere about it. I must get some classic videos and things asap !
YESSS! So right about that. I miss the old WWF days. Sure ya had mullets and aplenty and other stuff...but it kept ya hooked. It wasnt this fragmented viewership ploy stuff or a bazaillion ppvs a year. They had time to develop stories, shockers, make it interesting, etc. Now everything has to be 'exxxxtreme!' and cheap exploitation. Just sad. Even worse, Vince bungled what could have been THEE coolest plots ever: WWF vs. WCW. really lame.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Never much liked wrestling, but I must stay silent because even Cyndi got in on the action for a minute in the 80s. :big_grin: That goes into the "what was she thinking?" file.