Luke's Muppet Year In Review 2002

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like Cliff's notes. That Cliff is one smart guy. :big_grin:

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah it's a bit lengthy but it's kinda like if we had a Muppet time capsule, if there isn't some round up to look back on the future then all the less major stuff thats happened just gets lost - well unless you were to do a major trawl through this forums archives but then they might not always be here - look at what we said back on Delphi - you can't search those more than 6 months back now without paying, and MYSQL databases now being used here are gigantic and prone to problems as they get larger too.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Great, comprehensive list. I would have forgotten to include so much stuff. You did leave us (MC) out in September, but we are a blip on the radar when compared to the rest of the stuff. Good job.
MC was mentioned in the January section. What happened in September?

Also, as skankin-frackle mentioned in another thread, the Henson NY workshop closed this year. I don't think I saw that in Luke's version either.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe

Also, as skankin-frackle mentioned in another thread, the Henson NY workshop closed this year. I don't think I saw that in Luke's version either.
Yeah, I forgot to include the Workshop layoffs in my report...I should have put that under my 'not all was rosy' part of the post.
But yeah, what did happen in September with regards to MC? Jamie did the graphics overhaul? I forget...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Muppet Central received its new format - face lift in September. It was a rather drastic visual change (like Henson.com, but without the green spots :wink:). LOL! Not really that noteworthy, but since the anniversary was mentioned, I thought the revamp would be too. It's a magnificant and comprehensive list though!

Secret Squirrel

Reaction score
"I also found interesting the news about 'Frog School' a TV series in early development at Henson about Kermit's life at school. Wonder if we'll ever hear any more bout that ?"

I doubt it very much.

"I would love to see a Bear in the Big Blue House behind-the-scenes documenatry and performer/creative staff showcase."

Many people would echo your wish, but this is unlikely. Bear In The Big Blue House is out of production now, and looks unlikely to return. A film script exists, though. If that project went ahead, it's very possible that some on-set footage would be taken.

secret squirrel

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Secret Squirrel
"I would love to see a Bear in the Big Blue House behind-the-scenes documenatry and performer/creative staff showcase."

Many people would echo your wish, but this is unlikely. Bear In The Big Blue House is out of production now, and looks unlikely to return. A film script exists, though. If that project went ahead, it's very possible that some on-set footage would be taken.
Oh no! I was afraid Bear was close to the end of production. Truly a shame as it was such a wonderful show and a favorite of mine and my 2-year-old daughter's.

Well, here's hoping for a theatrical movie and more DVDs.

Luke

Reaction score
The shutdown of the workshop wasn't mentioned because it didn't happen, they just laid off some staff and moved premises. Internal changes happen all the time, just the difference was you got to hear about this one. The Muppet Central relaunch should have been mentioned and has been added to my draft - as the forum moved over earlier and the graphics were changed later it was difficult to put a date on when an actual relaunch happened but yeah i think it was right as Frogboy stated to use the September date.

Shame to hear about Bear and also it looks like Frog School. This is beginning to get very worrying - the only thing Henson has in production right now is Bambaloo in Australia, and it looks like Animal Jam and the Muppets Fox Show about to go into production in the states. I think Construction Site's now finished in the UK (??) as well as the Hoobs and Moppatop. Henson Pictures has 'Good Boy!' and the other one but they don't really use Henson people or facilities that much. I guess Valentine really will have to work aggressively to get new TV, Film and Animation productions out there but they take 12 months at least to get past development usually. 2004 anyone ?

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke

Shame to hear about Bear and also it looks like Frog School. This is beginning to get very worrying - the only thing Henson has in production right now is Bambaloo in Australia, and it looks like Animal Jam and the Muppets Fox Show about to go into production in the states. I think Construction Site's now finished in the UK (??) as well as the Hoobs and Moppatop.
It's a big shame about Bear if they stopped making episodes. I firmly believe this was the best live action/non cartoon kid's show since Fraggle Rock. period. I dont know if I should blame the nefarious Disney or other unfairness factors in life.

And its funny, the only reason I know about Bambaloo(and that Joe the Armidillo is on it) is because of Tough Pigs. Where was the news item on that on MC? I dont think I even heard abou tConstruction Site on MC...and have heard nary a mention in recent times on Hoobs or Mopatop. It seems a truly global Muppet fan site would have news on all the Muppet realted shows.

But yes, my goodness...so Bear is finally cancelled? A ***** shame. I was hoping itd be like Sesame...every expanding and never ending. Just goes to show you the good things in life never last...while the crummy things do.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
The shutdown of the workshop wasn't mentioned because it didn't happen, they just laid off some staff and moved premises. Internal changes happen all the time, just the difference was you got to hear about this one.
I was about to say. I mean, if the NY workshop was shutting down and the Creature Shop is being sold separately, who would make the actual characters?

Man, Bear is really ending? Along with Farscape and the UK shows? Gees, funny how the Classic Muppets are getting more attention but their relatives are getting laid off. Guess things weren't as rosy as we thought.