Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds?

Ryan

Reaction score
I heard that The Beatles' "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" was on the first season of Sesame Street. What Muppets appeared in it? If anyone here has seen it, can you please describe it to me? I find it really weird they would use a song about getting high on SS, but hey..it was '69....... :big_grin:

sstVideo

Reaction score
Lucy in the Sky and other early performances

In the early days, when most moms stayed at home, there was a lot of adult humor and adult oriented music to get moms to watch with their kids. You'll find it in show #003, which first aired in the fall of 1969.

Lucy in the Sky was performed by the character who later became known as Prarie Dawn. At the time she was an "anything muppet". She performed a sweet, gentle version, with a chromakey kaleidescope pattern in the background. Then, on the chorus, she was joined by 4 wild, hippie-like anythingmuppets who screamed "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" at the top of their lungs, and disappeared to let Prarie continue.

In the same show you'll also find Bob dressed in a psychedelic shirt singing "Good Morning Starshine" from the musical "Hair" (which was later released on the "Songs from Sesame Street" album) and "Susan" singing, "I Enjoy Being a Girl" from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical "Flower Drum Song".

Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks. This helped lots! Do you have this sketch on Tape? If so, please email me at ryan200012@netscape.net I have Lots of rare shows I'm willing to trade.

Well, well, I guess Noggin has some splanin' to do! It was edited from the Unpaved version.

Apparently, there were two versions of the song. The one being the Prarie one, and another, (Joggy's told me about this one) with the two Muppets from "Lu Lu's Back in Town", the green AM and Beautiful Day dressed as Lu Lu. Lucy/ Lulu puts on wings while Green AM is singing...and begins flying (marionette). At the end, when it comes to "The Girl with Kaliedescope eyes" Lu Lu crashes to the ground...where we find her with crossed eys.

Thanks for the help!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

O.K., let's see if I got this right. What would I have seen if I was around to watch the show's first season:

A different actor playing Gordon

A weird looking Big Bird with more of a dopey voice

An orange Oscar the Grouch

A long-haired Luis (or did he come later?)

A Greenish-brown Grover

More adult humor

and a partridge in a pair tree

Just kidding about that last one. Did I miss anything else? (I know the Count, Cookie Monster and Snuffleupagus would appear later)

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Re: Lucy in the Sky and other early performances

Originally posted by sstVideo
In the early days, when most moms stayed at home, there was a lot of adult humor and adult oriented music to get moms to watch with their kids. You'll find it in show #003, which first aired in the fall of 1969.

Lucy in the Sky was performed by the character who later became known as Prarie Dawn. At the time she was an "anything muppet". She performed a sweet, gentle version, with a chromakey kaleidescope pattern in the background. Then, on the chorus, she was joined by 4 wild, hippie-like anythingmuppets who screamed "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" at the top of their lungs, and disappeared to let Prarie continue.

In the same show you'll also find Bob dressed in a psychedelic shirt singing "Good Morning Starshine" from the musical "Hair" (which was later released on the "Songs from Sesame Street" album) and "Susan" singing, "I Enjoy Being a Girl" from the Rogers and Hammerstein musical "Flower Drum Song".
too bad they don't have those songs now a days..elmo's world theme song is not a tune to dance or sing to..i liked listening to don music come up with different lyrics for songs..

ryan

ryan

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's kind of funny that they used this song at all, since the Beatles themselves came underfire for writing it. Apparently Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was looked to by Puritanic parents as a hiden message, since the initials are LSD... of course they had another "drug" problem for Yellow Submarine (there were pills thbat came out later called "Yellow Submarines"). But I guess they were looking for a scape goat to why kids didn't want to go to war and kill eachother...

But I swear, they had all this great stuff like this back in the day. I mean we had Punk songs about the letter N, Billy Idol Parodies, etc. Now it's just those goofy Monster Clubhouse monsters nonstop...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

It's kind of funny that they used this song at all, since the Beatles themselves came underfire for writing it. Apparently Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was looked to by Puritanic parents as a hiden message, since the initials are LSD... of course they had another "drug" problem for Yellow Submarine (there were pills thbat came out later called "Yellow Submarines"). But I guess they were looking for a scape goat to why kids didn't want to go to war and kill eachother...
I remember seeing Beatles parodies on 'Sesame Street' in the 80s. That's all I can think of though.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth

But I swear, they had all this great stuff like this back in the day. I mean we had Punk songs about the letter N
woah, what???

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Yeah, well I think it's fairly obvious that "Lucy" is a song about being sto*ed (can I say that here?). The Beatles were druggies, and it was no real secret (check out the "Magical Mystery Tour album. The first song <Magical Mystery Tour> has a the backups singing "Roll up, Roll up for the Mystery tour") . I think Jim was a fan and just wanted to do the songs because they are fun. And, also you could easily get away with it in 1969. Little kids just see it as a fun, harmless song. Yellow Submarine goes under that category too. There are no automatic drug refrences in that though, but it wouldn't suprise me if it was related to pills.

roadrat15

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
O.K., let's see if I got this right. What would I have seen if I was around to watch the show's first season:

A different actor playing Gordon

A weird looking Big Bird with more of a dopey voice

An orange Oscar the Grouch

A long-haired Luis (or did he come later?)

A Greenish-brown Grover

More adult humor

and a partridge in a pair tree

Just kidding about that last one. Did I miss anything else? (I know the Count, Cookie Monster and Snuffleupagus would appear later)
Well . . . Raul Julia played a "human" on the street for a little while
. Also,there's always been lots of adult humour in SS . . .until recently!