Lord of the Rings

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I hear that these books are like Christian meterphores, is that right? As a general rule my Dad and Mum stay far away from any film with Wizards or Witches in, this has those dosn't it? Just trying to get a few things stright.
No witches, but two very major wizards. Saruman is a force of evil in the films, almost a Lucifer type of character as he goes from being the most powerful of the good wizards to the servant of the Dark Lord Sauron. Gandalf, meanwhile, is a step below Saruman in rank. He is deeply concerned with the lives of ordinary people and has a particular love of hobbits. He is a wonderful character, the strongest force of good in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and probably the closest to a Jesus figure in Middle Earth. However, he is no Aslan - the Christlike figure in Narnia. Gandalf is ultimately a very human character with human shortcomings, particularly in the first book/film. He operates on a more mystical level later on, but he still retains his personality quirks. He acts largely as a catalyst and a stabilizing force; he himself generally does little to alter the course of events in Middle Earth, but he nudges other characters along.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
You can definately see a lot of Christianity in LOTR, but a metaphor was the farthest thing from Tolkien's mind. In fact, Tolkien hated metaphors and thought CS Lewis' work was too hokey (for lack of a better word.) Yeah, Tolkien and Lewis were contemporaries and were even in the same "book club", but they had 2 different styles.

Could you imagine being in that book club and getting to hear Tolkien and CS Lewis read new chapters to their books as they wrote them? Oh man...
I was in England in 2001, and I never made it to Oxford to see the Eagle and the Child, the pub where the Inklings always met!! Now I hear it's on sale for 1.2 million pounds. Man, would I love to own that pub... :stick_out_tongue: Yeah, Tolkien though Lewis was a little to obvious in his allegory, but Lewis himself said that he didn't think of his books as allegorical. So I guess they were just one step removed from one another.
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
...although the head Nazgul is referred to as the "Witch-King" at a couple of points...

jediX

Reaction score
anathema said:
Didn't they get a namecheck in the third film?
I thought I heard someone call them wyrms in Two Towers... I'm not sure, though.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
dmx10101 said:
I prefer the Matrix Trilogy. LOTR is not my thing.
I can't get into The Matrix at all, but I am, for some reason, riveted by Agent Smith. It's gotta be Hugo Weaving. He is the absolute perfect Elrond; the absolutely subtlety with which he conveys his true feelings is exquisite. If he can pull off Elrond so masterfully, I guess I shouldn't be surprised he can mesmerize me in The Matrix, even as the arch-enemy.
Erin

anathema

Reaction score
My former flatmate once went to a fancy-dress party as Agent Smith. The resemblance was uncanny! :-S

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
I can't get into The Matrix at all, but I am, for some reason, riveted by Agent Smith. It's gotta be Hugo Weaving. He is the absolute perfect Elrond; the absolutely subtlety with which he conveys his true feelings is exquisite. If he can pull off Elrond so masterfully, I guess I shouldn't be surprised he can mesmerize me in The Matrix, even as the arch-enemy.
Erin
Elrond was my first LotR crush.

Then Pippin.
The Eomer. Then Faramir. Then Elijah Wood... (But not Frodo because he belongs with- well, nevermind. :smirk: )

jediX

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Erin
Matrix works like sleeping pills to me. :wink:

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
Could you imagine being in that book club and getting to hear Tolkien and CS Lewis read new chapters to their books as they wrote them? Oh man...
Now you know what I dream of.....:big_grin:

I always used to prefer The Chronicles of Narnia to the Lord of the Rings, but the movies have DEFINITELY increased my appreciation for the novels....Then I decided to reread them, and now I regard the books as being SO much better than the movies...But I still do lo love the movies so! (Hera, I've been in love w/Faramir from the moment I read the books the first time at 13!)