Looney Tunes finally coming to DVD!!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hey, folks, remember a few weeks ago when I was complaining about no Looney Tunes on DVD? Well, my wishes have come true! According to Smig over at TP, there are 4 individual discs being released this fall. Just a couple of days later, Warner Bros. announced an additional two-disc set, plus a couple of discs of animated content from their website featuring the classic characters in new stuff. Here are the two articles, followed by more commentary from me:

--------------------------------

From www.cartoonresearch.com
COMPLETE DETAILS of the LOONEY TUNES DVDs! Here they come! October 28th is the street date. $64.92 is the suggested retail price (but you will be able to get a deal on Amazon.com and at other outlets). An all-new collection of 56 Looney Tunes classic cartoons, digitally re-mastered on DVD and packed with special features!
Four discs are contained in the first wave - entitled "The Looney Tunes Golden Collection" - each cartoon has been brilliantly restored and re-mastered to its original, uncut, anvil-dropping glory!

On the left: your current copy of BASEBALL BUGS. On the right, the remastered DVD version. Any questions?

Disc #1
14 remastered Bugs Bunny cartoons including:
• a special opening greeting from Chuck Jones;
• Audio track commentaries on these cartoons:
RABBIT SEASONING (Mike Barrier & audio from his rare interviews with animators), LONG HAIRED HARE (Mike Barrier), HIGH DIVING HARE (Greg Ford), BULLY FOR BUGS (Mike Barrier), WHAT'S UP DOC? (Greg Ford), RABBIT'S KIN (Stan Freberg), BIG TOP BUNNY (Mike Barrier), WABBIT TWOUBLE (Mike Barrier);
• separate music tracks for RABBIT SEASONING, WHAT'S UP DOC? and RABBIT'S KIN
• Featurettes on Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam, and Elmer Fudd with exclusive interviews;
• THE BOYS FROM TERMITE TERRACE part 1 (rare John Canemaker documentary);
• animated sequences from MY DREAM IS YOURS and TWO GUYS FROM TEXAS
• THE BUGS BUNNY SHOW bonus materials: Bridging sequences from episode #1648 "A Star Is Bored"; Mel Blanc recording session from episode #1639 "The Astro-Nuts"
• Bonus shorts:
FIFTY YEARS OF BUGS BUNNY IN 3 1/2 MINUTES (1989 short)
BLOOPER BUNNY (1991) with commentary by Greg Ford
• Lobby Card still gallery
•Trailers from 1950s theatrical compilation shows: BUGS BUNNY'S CARTOON FESTIVAL and BUGS BUNNY'S CARTOON JAMBOREE

Disc #2
14 remastered Porky and Daffy cartoons, including
• Audio track commentaries on DUCK AMUCK, DRIP-ALONG DAFFY, THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKLE, WEARING OF THE GRIN, and DUCK DODGERS by Mike Barrier using his exclusive interview audio with classic animators.
• Separate music tracks for DUCK AMUCK, DRIP-ALONG DAFFY,THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKLE and RABBIT FIRE.
• Bonus featurettes on BOB CLAMPETT, MARVIN MARTIAN, CHUCK JONES & DAFFY
• THE BOYS FROM TERMITE TERRACE part 2
• Lobby Card Still Gallery

Disc #3
Premiere Collection Vol. 1 includes 14 remastered Looney Tunes, including
• Audio track commentaries compiled by Michael Barrier for FAST & FURRY-OUS, HAIR RAISING HARE, HAREDEVIL HARE, FOR SCENT-I-MENTAL REASONS and BUGS BUNNY GETS THE BOID; FEED THE KITTY (commentary by Greg Ford), BUGS BUNNY AND THE THREE BEARS (Commentary by Stan Freberg).
• Separate music tracks for BATON BUNNY and FEED THE KITTY
• Featurettes on the ROAD RUNNER, MEL BLANC and CARL STALLING
• TOONHEADS: THE LOST CARTOONS
• Original storyboards for HAIR RAISING HARE and THE HYPO-CHRONDRI-CAT
• Lobby Card Art Gallery

Disc #4
Premiere Collection Vol. 2 includes 14 remastered Looney Tunes including:
• Audio track commentaries compiled by Michael Barrier for TWEETY'S S.O.S. and THE FOGHORN LEGHORN and commentaries by Jerry Beck on CANARY ROW, DEVIL MAY HARE, CANNED FEUD and SPEEDY GONZALES
• Separate music tracks for PUTTY TAT TWOUBLE, BROKEN LEGHORN, and SPEEDY GONZALES.
• Featurettes on SPEEDY GONZALES, FRIZ FRELENG AND TWEETY & SYLVESTER, and ROBERT McKIMSON AND FOGHORN LEGHORN.
• Bonus all-new 45 minute documentary "Irreverent Imagination: The Golden Age Of Looney Tunes".
• The complete "BOSKO THE TALK-INK KID" pilot
• Virgil Ross pencil tests
• Lobby Card still gallery.

...and this is only the first wave. :smile:

(From www.dvdtoons.com)
The Looney Tunes Premiere Collection

They're the clown princes of animation. They're the international ambassadors of cartoon comedy. They're the fabulously funny friends you grew up with! And now, 28 of the very best animated shorts starring the very wackiest Warner Bros. cartoon characters have been rounded up on DVD for the first time ever in The Looney Tunes Premiere Collection!

Just barely contained in two special edition discs, each specially selected short has been brilliantly restored and re-mastered to its original anvil-dropping, laughter-inducing glory! Featuring some of the very earliest, ground-breaking on-screen appearances of many all-time Looney Tunes favorites, it's an unprecedented animation celebration for cartoon-lovers eager to re-live the heady, hilarious, golden age of Warner Bros. animation! Sparkling with one unforgettable, landmark cartoon classic after another, there's Bugs Bunny's monstrously merry encounter with the tennis-shoe clad creature of Hair-Raising Hare. Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner racing to cartoon fame in Fast and Furryous.

Oscar-winning animated gems, scenery-chewing Tazmanian Devils and much more! Plus, a dazzling array of totally Looney DVD bonus features!

Retail: $$26.95 | Release Date: 10/28/2003

Looney Tunes: Reality Check!

Hold on tight! Because all your favorite Looney Tunes characters are zooming into a head-on collision with the world's most popular reality TV shows! Th-th-th-that's right, folks! It's time for a REALITY CHECK!

Overflowing with outrageous Warner-style comic mayhem, these all-new Toons spoof TV like it's never been spoofed before! Plus, you'll get a load of exclusive added gotta-have-'em DVD bonus features that are positively Looney!

In this hilarity-jam-packed volume: Porky and Tweety give you the score and more in Sports Blab. Granny makes Sylvester, Daffy and Yosemite Sam cry uncle in Tear Factor. Then, Bugs, Porky, Daffy, Taz and the rest of the gang are outcast, outclassed and out-to-lunch in a kooky quest to become the lone survivor (get it?) in the spectacularly zany Toon Marooned! And there's more wackiness on the schedule with reality show send-ups from Aluminum Chef to Judge Granny!

Retail: $$19.98 | Release Date: 10/28/2003

Looney Tunes: Stranger Than Fiction

It's spooky. It's wacky. It's STRANGER THAN FICTION! Exploding with sheer cartoon craziness, these all-new Toons star your favorite Looney Tunes characters making big-time fun of everything from mysteriously goofy TV shows to sci-fi movie blockbusters! Plus, you'll also be treated to an irresistible assortment of must-see, new-and-improved-deluxe-extra-special Looney Tunes DVD bonus features!

In this eerily-entertaining volume: Porky and Yosemite Sam go creature-hunting and end up in a Loch Ness Mess. Daffy hosts a preposterous paranormal TV show featuring everything from the fearsome "Mexican goat-sucker" to crazy crop circles and a Shakespeare-spouting Taz! Then, Porky and Daffy land on the very odd Planet of the Taz - and discover some even stranger sequel-planets! Plus, more way-Looney spoofs and shorts full of weirdly wonderful Warner-riffic fun!

Retail: $$19.98 | Release Date: 10/28/2003

-----------------------------------

Whew! And this is just the start, too.

Frankly, I'm estactic. I do wish they would list each and every cartoon that appears on that disc, but I'm sure that information will be coming soon. I also wish I could figure out how they're choosing to thematically link these cartoons, but I can't see a consistency yet. I was expecting they'd do an all-Bugs disc, an all-Daffy disc, etc. but that doesn't seem to be the case. (I hope they show all the black-and-white cartoons in their original glory, or at least have the option of viewing either the colorized or the black-and-white versions.) Also, I'm glad for the Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng tributes, but any tribute for Robert McKimson (the director of the least funny WB cartoons by far) should have waited until after Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, and Frank Tashlin got their due.

It's also a shame that none of the principal people involved, not even Mel Blanc or Michael Maltese, were around to see this tribute, or to provide commentary. But that's certainly not the studio's fault, obviously. At least they got Jerry Beck, an expert animation historian and a WB fanboy--the best possible source of information. Sometimes their info is more reliable than the people who were actually there! (i.e. the Hensons accidentally misinforming the public about "The Frog Prince")

So anyway, I'm mostly just quibbling here. Between this and all the Muppet DVD stuff being released, we are truly living in the best possible times for being a fan and a collector. Now I've just got to get myself a better job so I can actually AFFORD all this stuff! :stick_out_tongue:

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
For those who don't know, the shorts featured in Reality Check and Stranger Than Fiction are all Flash animations that premered on the WB website.